collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Western Wa Taxi for Blacktail  (Read 10395 times)

Offline HotRod

• Rod
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
Re: Western Wa Taxi for Blacktail
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 07:34:27 PM »
X2 for Natures Way.
MMC AUX/USN/RET
Submarines  1988-2009

Offline Old Man Yager

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 12:12:21 PM »
Natures way has some awesome mounts posted on here. They all look great.
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 12:16:11 PM »
I'd go with either Natures Way taxidermy (Spanaway), or Charlies taxidermy (Tenino).  Both are members here, and do outstanding work on blacktail deer!

Charlie will have to be talked into taking it in.  He hasn't been taking much lately. 

Fidalgo or Natures Way are great too. 

Offline stringer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 07:05:56 PM »
Garth at Fidalgo Taxidermy, Anacortes

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 08:13:01 PM »
Garth at Fidalgo Taxidermy, Anacortes

Me thinks that is good advice.  I fell in love with Charlie Smith's artistry, but Chatlie is way backed up right now.  I am patiently waiting to add Charlie's artistic vision to my home, but that does not mean that Fidalgo or Natures Way are second rate in any way.

A different artist, but just as capable of something really extra special, that you will never second guess your decision on. 

Just don't be impatient, or try to save a buck, and make your decision based solely on what you are trying to achieve artistically, and you will be just fine with the result. 

These guys understand what it means to you to have your trophy "just right."  They all take just as much time, and will put in the effort to make the product you ultimately receive be the same as what they deliver to a world record book client.  You will not be a customer to any of the above, you are a patron whose dollars support their desire to do what they love doing every day and it shows in their work.   

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 08:43:01 PM »
I just want to underscore what I was thinking about;  These three taxidermists are taxidermists I know and appreciate for their ability to recreate a natural mount that represents what I feel an ungulate in it's natural state would be.  There are others just as capable and who can also deliver that presentation, but these are three that I know. 

I cannot appreciate a Picasso, but there are those who do, so if your tastes differ from mine... in order to have delivered a mount that you never have to second guess your decision please look at what they have done before committing to something that I would appreciate. 

It is your deer, and a handsome one at that.  I have weighed in, as have others, but if you see something that tickles your fancy - then, by all means, disregard what I have said I would prefer. 

You may see something that represents what you think your trophy should embody, and if that is the case - go for it. 

I used to have a bear taxi that I just loved thirty years ago, Lacy Taxidermy Dale McWhorter, and others criticized my love of his work as being... bear showing his teeth and bears don't snarl and bla bla bla, but I was the guy paying the bill that made it possible for him to deliver his artistry.  And I still have a couple and they still "wind my watch," so my money was well spent. 

Do your due diligence, but include these three if you are looking for a natural presentation (in my mind's eye), and make a decision based on what YOU want in your front room and do not be impatient if it may be delivered a long time from now.

Just because anyone else, or anyone else, seemingly likes what I like...  not a one of them will have it i their den for life. 

If you want something different than what they are suggesting you would like... go your own way.     
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 08:51:27 PM by JDHasty »

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »
Blacktails by Charlie
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 09:04:38 PM »
Blacktails by Charlie

That's what I am talking about!  Charlie Smith just moves me. 

Offline Band

• Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
I fell in love with Charlie Smith's artistry, but Chatlie is way backed up right now.
Charlie told me he wasn't taking on new customers when I picked up my bull from him in 2013.  I'm guessing he has such a core of devoted repeat customers that they continue to bring him all the work he can handle.  It's too bad our old infamous friend with horrendous business practices but who does good taxidermy work hasnt taken him up on the offer to work for him so he can take on more work.  But then again, I can't imagine having to put up with her as an employee. :o

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 05:54:06 PM »
I fell in love with Charlie Smith's artistry, but Chatlie is way backed up right now.
Charlie told me he wasn't taking on new customers when I picked up my bull from him in 2013.  I'm guessing he has such a core of devoted repeat customers that they continue to bring him all the work he can handle.  It's too bad our old infamous friend with horrendous business practices but who does good taxidermy work hasnt taken him up on the offer to work for him so he can take on more work.  But then again, I can't imagine having to put up with her as an employee. :o

Same thing he told me last time I spoke with him.

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Life member NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, SCI
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2016, 06:23:55 PM »
Very Nice Blackie

Offline BullMagnet76

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 06:31:07 PM »
Natures Way without a doubt, Micheals work is awsome

Offline Sambo

• Pilgrim
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2016, 10:58:44 AM »
Hands down naturesway in spanaway ! Michael Whites work is the best I've seen and I just recently had him do a mule deer done in a wall pedestal . It's flawless and I'm maticulous on my stuff being a avid outdoor enthuesiest. I'd give him a call his blacktail look as alive as when you see them in there natural state not like other taxis work where they just look like a dead deer! Anyhow hope this is helpful. ;)

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 09:04:57 PM »
I have been using Natures Way since 2008, would not change this decision for any reason.
Michaels awesome at what he does!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand