collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: aimpoints on shotguns  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Bill W

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
aimpoints on shotguns
« on: November 03, 2016, 10:45:47 AM »
Anyone played around with mounting an aimpoint on a waterfowl shotgun?  I've always wanted to do this to see if it makes shooting ducks easier (or harder).   On the surface it would seem to make hits easier but I suspect the time spent fooling with getting things aligned properly would lend towards even more missed shots.

So, anyone ever played around with this and did it make things easier..... or harder.  I've seen it on TV and it... well, it's interesting.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: aimpoints on shotguns
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 10:49:23 AM »
I see the flyway highway host has an Eotech one mounted on his shotgun when he shoots.  It seems to help his shooting.  If you do enough practice, let instinct & motor skills kick in you don't have to mess with using one. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 12:27:34 PM by h2ofowlr »
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 11:35:58 AM »
I would think that good fitment would improve most people's shooting better. My father has an adjustable but pad for his shot gun it allowed him to throw his gun up and help natural alignment. If you are tall, have a long neck broad in the shoulders etc the natural position may be improved by pushing your gun up or closer to you. 2c
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »
I know I have some of the reflex sights on handguns and they don't line up instinctively.  That's what I meant by making things harder.

I agree h20fowlr that practice negates any reason to add an aimpoint.  It gets the shooter to focus on the dot and not instinctive style shooting.

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 12:13:54 PM »
There is no aiming with a shotgun,  Your eyes are to be on the bird, not the bead.  Missing on a moving target is one of 2 things.  1) lifting your head 2) stopping the gun.  Both are solved when the shooter locks their eyes on the target.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 01:16:28 PM »
So, anyone mount an aimpoint on a shotgun or only have an opinion?  Not to ruffle any feathers but this is similar to when it was thought that .220 Swifts burnt out barrels.   Everybody had an opinion but nobody actually shot the things.

For the record I've been shooting a shotgun since 1958 and accurately shooting a shotgun since around 1977.  In 77 I finally got a shotgun that shot where I looked.  Before that they didn't fit me.

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 09:57:32 PM »
So, anyone mount an aimpoint on a shotgun or only have an opinion?  Not to ruffle any feathers but this is similar to when it was thought that .220 Swifts burnt out barrels.   Everybody had an opinion but nobody actually shot the things.

For the record I've been shooting a shotgun since 1958 and accurately shooting a shotgun since around 1977.  In 77 I finally got a shotgun that shot where I looked.  Before that they didn't fit me.

Not a waterfowl gun, but I've shot a Benelli M4 with an EOTech on top.  The drop at the stock was an issue, you had to hold your head off the stock to see through the sight.  If you were going to try it, I'd recommend one designed for a shotgun to hopefully avoid this. The Burris Speedbead looks interesting in that regard.  As a left eye dominate right handed shooter the dot does aid in keeping both eyes open.

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 07:26:34 AM »
So, anyone mount an aimpoint on a shotgun or only have an opinion? 

I'm a no bead on the gun shooter, and don't know a single person that I respect or consider a good shot to run one of these sights. I also don't need to spend the money and waste time playing with it to realize it's a gimmick and that I won't benefit from it. YMMV though. If you want to play around with it, go ahead, no one is stopping you.

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 04:45:24 PM »
Back in the 1960s Skeeter Skelton did some work with low power scopes on shotguns.

The Burris Speed Bead comes with mounts for a variety of shotguns.

I use a drilling for coyote hunting with a low power variable and have taken flying bird with the scope set on 1x.  I do take it out to the trap range and practice shootings it with both eyes open.  The drilling is fitted to me so when my cheek hits the comb my eye is lined up with with the scope.

16ga x 16ga x  6.5x58R
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline metlhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 11:39:43 PM »
Yes, I had one years ago. It was an old Aimpoint, with the fibreoptic pin. It was mounted to a Remington 31. Didn't improve my shooting and it was cumbersome. It would hang up when rising for shots on waterfowl. Ugly also. Ya got me curious now and I'm gonna head out to the shop and see if I still have it.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 08:19:15 AM »
Yes, I had one years ago. It was an old Aimpoint, with the fibreoptic pin. It was mounted to a Remington 31. Didn't improve my shooting and it was cumbersome. It would hang up when rising for shots on waterfowl. Ugly also. Ya got me curious now and I'm gonna head out to the shop and see if I still have it.

I forgot about the possibility of it hanging up.  I put a sling on my shotgun to carry to the dove spots earlier this year.  Didn't take it off while shooting skeet later and when my one pocket was loaded up with close to 2 boxes of empties, the sling starts hanging up.  I shot a 23 out of 25 and during the last few shots trying to not have the sling hang up on that pocket was on my mind.  I shoot low gun to practice gun mounting.  Not sure if the sling caused me to miss those two clay pigeons but the sling was definitely messing with my thinking.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]