collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got drawn for a lion tag.  (Read 15933 times)

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Got drawn for a lion tag.
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2016, 05:41:48 PM »
Personally, out of respect for the guys who put tons of money and time into training their dogs year round, I'd let the actual houndhunters apply and draw. Why would a guy apply and draw and then hope to find a hound guy who will take them to hunt?

So out of respect for the guys that are in iron man shape, have ten trail cams out, and scout all year nobody else should apply for the Blues then. They are putting in the time, money and effort that others aren't so they deserve the tags?

If the law is that you have to own and use your own dogs then you shouldn't apply unless you have capable dogs. If not then apply if you think you can find somebody with dogs to help you.

Nope. Not what I'm saying at all. The comparison I tried to make was a little sarcastic I'll admit....but what I was getting at is the folks who apply for and draw a permit and then they don't hunt because they don't know what they're getting into or know they won't be able to hunt because they don't have vacation time, or something along those lines yet they still apply, thereby taking permits away from those who can draw and hunt. That's all.  Compare that to a guy who doesn't have or own capable dogs who applies for these lion tags then finds out they can't have the tag because they don't have dogs or can't find someone with dogs willing to take them or whatever the case may be.

I agree you should hunt the tag and not take opportunity away from other people if you aren't going to use it. But if you are able to make an attempt with someone else's dogs then I don't see why it's disrespectful.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2016, 05:45:09 PM »
Personally, out of respect for the guys who put tons of money and time into training their dogs year round, I'd let the actual houndhunters apply and draw. Why would a guy apply and draw and then hope to find a hound guy who will take them to hunt?

So out of respect for the guys that are in iron man shape, have ten trail cams out, and scout all year nobody else should apply for the Blues then. They are putting in the time, money and effort that others aren't so they deserve the tags?

If the law is that you have to own and use your own dogs then you shouldn't apply unless you have capable dogs. If not then apply if you think you can find somebody with dogs to help you.

That's a laughable comparison.

Why? Jack is talking about guys spending time and money so they deserve the lion tag. So wouldn't the guys that spend more time and money deserve the elk tag?

Regards, Branden

That's not entirely what I was getting at. Specifically, why would a guy who has no hounds apply for a permit specifically designated as a hound permit? If the guy with no hounds can't hunt, why should he be able to draw these permits taking away from those who can?
If you can't hunt the Blues, don't apply for the Blues(just an example). If you don't have vacation time, or you're not physically able, or whatever the case may be, don't apply for the East Wenaha(as an example) when you've never been there and have no idea what you're getting into, don't know the terrain challenges, don't have gear to backpack in, etc. You're taking permits away from folks who can hunt it.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2016, 05:46:14 PM »

Nope. Not what I'm saying at all. The comparison I tried to make was a little sarcastic I'll admit....but what I was getting at is the folks who apply for and draw a permit and then they don't hunt because they don't know what they're getting into or know they won't be able to hunt because they don't have vacation time, or something along those lines yet they still apply, thereby taking permits away from those who can draw and hunt. That's all.  Compare that to a guy who doesn't have or own capable dogs who applies for these lion tags then finds out they can't have the tag because they don't have dogs or can't find someone with dogs willing to take them or whatever the case may be.

I agree you should hunt the tag and not take opportunity away from other people if you aren't going to use it. But if you are able to make an attempt with someone else's dogs then I don't see why it's disrespectful.

If it's legal and your buddy has hounds or your brother has them or whatever, then go for it. If you're going to throw a hail mary out there hoping someone takes you, then I disagree and find it disrespectful.
I think we're on the same page.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2016, 05:49:16 PM »

That's a laughable comparison.

Why? Jack is talking about guys spending time and money so they deserve the lion tag. So wouldn't the guys that spend more time and money deserve the elk tag?

Regards, Branden

That's not entirely what I was getting at. Specifically, why would a guy who has no hounds apply for a permit specifically designated as a hound permit? If the guy with no hounds can't hunt, why should he be able to draw these permits taking away from those who can?
If you can't hunt the Blues, don't apply for the Blues(just an example). If you don't have vacation time, or you're not physically able, or whatever the case may be, don't apply for the East Wenaha(as an example) when you've never been there and have no idea what you're getting into, don't know the terrain challenges, don't have gear to backpack in, etc. You're taking permits away from folks who can hunt it.

I agree if he has zero access to hounds. It was the money/time wording I don't agree with is all.

Regards, Branden

Offline cougarbart

• Scout
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2016, 04:11:09 PM »
I will help you Monsterbull11! I have 4 good lion dogs and would be willing to sell you one for 2500 bucks and I have gps collars for 200 apiece and a unit for 400!  Theres always options just might not be good  financially smart options!  I should of got out of dogs long ago!

Offline plottwalker

• Hunter
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2016, 08:00:49 AM »
Hopefully hound hunters will stick together on this and not take people out that shouldn't be applying.  I will not be offering my dogs up.
I may be wrong but don't most hound hunters use theit dogs to hunt cats mostly for other people anyways? How many hound hunters don't use their dogs to help other people get cats and only for themselves? As a sportsman I would hope hound hunters wouldn't tell other hunters to go kick rocks...charge a fee for your services and help someone get a cat...

most houndsmen dont offer to take guys out, and they cant legally charge any money or exchange for gas or anything else as payment.there is a lot that goes into catch game, most houndsmen dont want to have some rookie tagging along just to get to shoot a critter in a tree.

not to be a dick, but most guys talking on here dont have a clue what it really takes/costs to own a pack of dogs and keep them in shape year round to catch game.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2016, 10:18:50 AM »
Hopefully hound hunters will stick together on this and not take people out that shouldn't be applying.  I will not be offering my dogs up.
I may be wrong but don't most hound hunters use theit dogs to hunt cats mostly for other people anyways? How many hound hunters don't use their dogs to help other people get cats and only for themselves? As a sportsman I would hope hound hunters wouldn't tell other hunters to go kick rocks...charge a fee for your services and help someone get a cat...

most houndsmen dont offer to take guys out, and they cant legally charge any money or exchange for gas or anything else as payment.there is a lot that goes into catch game, most houndsmen dont want to have some rookie tagging along just to get to shoot a critter in a tree.

not to be a dick, but most guys talking on here dont have a clue what it really takes/costs to own a pack of dogs and keep them in shape year round to catch game.
:yeah:
It's kind of the same as saying that guys who run lots of trail cameras should help people get big bucks so that they can keep running trail cams and finding big bucks. or guys with access to good private land should share...

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2016, 05:16:12 PM »
I've been out of the loop in WA for a while, did they bring the pilot program back or is this a new similar program? I thought they had those safety removal permits still, which are a joke, but didn't hear about them bringing back an actual hound hunt for lions again?

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2016, 06:14:54 PM »
Go buy a hound so youre a hound owner. Then find a guy with some more hounds and go kill a cat!

Offline CementFinisher

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2016, 07:59:28 PM »
This is the public safety cougar removal, and yes it is a joke

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2016, 08:26:07 PM »
It's not always a joke, in the beginning of it we shot a lot of cats in portions of Alta and huckleberry and had great hunts.  Then you had to kill the first cat that was treed.  Now that it's only mayview is a joke.

The reason they did the dog owner with hounds capable of treeing lion is because of greenies.  They used to put in and draw so a hound hunter wouldn't

Offline bearbaito6

• Hunter
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2016, 09:07:19 PM »
It's not always a joke, in the beginning of it we shot a lot of cats in portions of Alta and huckleberry and had great hunts.  Then you had to kill the first cat that was treed.  Now that it's only mayview is a joke.

The reason they did the dog owner with hounds capable of treeing lion is because of greenies.  They used to put in and draw so a hound hunter wouldn't

That was the pilot program hunts. The public safety hunts usually are a joke!  No place to actually hunt with dogs.

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2016, 09:31:38 PM »

That was the pilot program hunts. The public safety hunts usually are a joke!  No place to actually hunt with dogs.
no it wasn't, we've hunted both.  The ones we killed the most cats were the public safety cougar removal hunts.  They were always a certain portion of a  specific unit

Offline villageidiot

• Scout
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2016, 06:47:05 AM »
One correction needs brought up.  It was not hound hunters that lost the hunting with the pilot program.  It was the legislature had to vote on renewing it every three years.  When a west side liberal legislator became head of the natural resource committee he had decision making power in what was brought up to vote on.  The pilot program wasn't voted on because he said there was not though time. So without being voted on it died.  Now to renew it a whole new fight has to be started.
  Another issue is it's been so long since we were allowed to hunt cats this requirement to own dogs that are capable of tree ing a cat is ridiculous.  Most of our hounds have died of old age and all we have left is a two year old that has never been off the chain.  Chances of him tree ing a cougar are real slim.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]