collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Holiday Shotgun/Gear Shopping  (Read 3347 times)

Offline michaelcx38

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Holiday Shotgun/Gear Shopping
« on: November 08, 2016, 11:08:08 AM »
Holiday season is closing in so I think Santa (aka Dad) is gonna hook me up this year.  I'm still pretty green with hunting; still being in college downtown and not having any gear whatsoever after my fam moved to Florida has made it hard to get out there. Hopefully this season or next will be my first time going out on my own. My dad is gracious enough to be getting me my first shotgun this year and he's letting me have free reign to pick my own (within reason). I plan to almost entirely hunt grouse, pheasant, and quail in westside and central WA, so I'm looking for something that's gonna work well across the board (under $600 would be great), so what would you guys recommend? 12 ga? 20? .410? I really love O/Us and semis so anything like that would be great.

It'd also be great to get a list of any essential/useful supplies to get my hunting career started. Vests? Tools? Cleaning Supplies? Anything suggestions would be awesome. 

Offline Ellensburg

• Official Cynergy Club Member
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Holiday Shotgun/Gear Shopping
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 11:26:27 AM »
12 gauge pump action in synthetic if u plan on hunting the Westside. I like the Browning bps but the Remington 870 works as well. Just go with pump action for now and save up until you can afford a nice o/u or a benelli sbeii...

Supplies?
Good boots.
GPS or backtrack
Decent quality upland vest with room to put birds/water

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 12:05:35 PM »
CZ Huglu in Upland Ultralight in 12 gauge is a good all around shotgun.   It's 6 pounds and made for carrying.  Even though it's chambered for 3 inch rounds I don't think I'd make this a duck gun as it's probably too light for the 3 inch rounds.

I have one and I believe Ribka has one.

Otherwise I'd look for a used Citori in 20 gauge for under $1K.

Offline ribka

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 04:14:21 PM »
CZ Huglu in Upland Ultralight in 12 gauge is a good all around shotgun.   It's 6 pounds and made for carrying.  Even though it's chambered for 3 inch rounds I don't think I'd make this a duck gun as it's probably too light for the 3 inch rounds.

I have one and I believe Ribka has one.

Otherwise I'd look for a used Citori in 20 gauge for under $1K.

I do have the cz ul

Picked it up used for $450. Very comfortable gun to carry all day and don't care if it gets scratched or banged up

Use mine sometimes for ducks. It does kick a bit with the 3 inch loads

Offline John B

• Hunter
  • Groups: Master Hunter, NRA, DU
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 07:21:13 PM »
Before you decide on a shotgun, go to some gun shops (not big 5) and shoulder a few. Options for an o/u or semi for $600 are pretty slim. I'd look for a used one. If you want a new o/u, Stevens 555 and Mossberg silver reserve are both in your price range. For a semi auto, you could probably find a Remington 1187 or a Weatherby.

Offline joe_dumy

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 06:30:54 AM »
John be is right. Go shoulder a hundred different shotguns. The one that feel comfortable and lines up naturally is the right shot gun. Look up how to properly mount a shotgun if you haven't already developed bad habits like me. The start looking on gunbroker for a good deal on the shot gun of your dreams. Be patient the right price will come up and you will get the shot gun you want. That's how you get a great shot gun under 600. But you will probably fall in love with something at cabelas and pay the extra money. Have fun.

12 or 20 not a 410. If you want a small bore the a 28 would be a better choice then a 410. 12 or 20 both will work fine for what your after and there are plenty of good loads out there for them.

Offline michaelcx38

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 12:26:19 PM »
Thanks guys, big help. Its cool getting a starting point on these things.

Before you decide on a shotgun, go to some gun shops (not big 5) and shoulder a few. Options for an o/u or semi for $600 are pretty slim. I'd look for a used one. If you want a new o/u, Stevens 555 and Mossberg silver reserve are both in your price range. For a semi auto, you could probably find a Remington 1187 or a Weatherby.

Sounds good. There's a gun shop just a couple blocks so I'll try that out this weekend

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]