collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Westside vs eastside  (Read 1539 times)

Offline BigTines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Westside vs eastside
« on: November 08, 2016, 07:41:09 AM »
Ok so next year I'm moving to WA and have some decisions to make. I'm sure all of you have your ideas on this too. Question is: do you hunt the Westside or eastside for elk?

I hunt modern rifle. The units I'm looking at offer 3pt bull or better on the Westside and true spike bull on the eastside. Seems like the units I'm looking at are some of the best on each half of the mountain.

I like that the Westside gives you the chance to hunt big bulls but I don't prefer the thick wet terrain they live in. Also don't like that most of the elk live on private timber lands $$$. Eastside is nice because it's open and dry (mostly) but I hate the spike restriction and especially true spike. Seems difficult to find a needle in a haystack.

What side do you pick and why? I'm mainly hunting for meat but would love a big bull at the same time.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Westside vs eastside
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:19:02 AM »
As you already know, both sides have their advantages. I say if you have good rain gear and don't mind paying a timber company 3 to 5 hundred dollars a year to hunt, then hunt the west side. Unless you're in good enough shape to hike in 5 miles or so and pack one out on your back, then you could hunt the west side without paying for access.

Hunting the east side for spikes is really frustrating, in my opinion. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. But if you enjoy being dry and enjoy being in the mountains and don't care if you bring home meat, the east side might be for you. Lots of public land so no need to pay for access.

It's really something that only you can decide. I'd suggest trying both sides and figuring out on your own which side you prefer. I've hunted both sides and have been hunting this state for over 30 years and still wrestle with that same question every year.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 08:20:09 AM »
I buy an eastside tag every year, but recently have all but given up the spike hunt. I apply for cow and bull tags and if not drawn, am strongly considering making an out of state hunt a normal thing.

I have also considered hunting the west side units, but am with you, don't like the jungle. It's a tough decision.

There are east side any bull units. They have elk, and guys kill them every year. It just takes time and dedication to learn their whereabouts and get good at consistently finding them.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Lefthook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 08:22:48 AM »
Well, after reading your post, you do sound like a true Eastside type of guy. Sorry about the spike only deal. There is some monster bulls on the Eastside, seen 'em with my own eyes! Seriously, if you don't like the Westside habitat, the Eastside is great if you have the patience to put in for Special Permit hunts. There are some units that have some serious numbers of big, dare I say dumb, bulls.

I've spent a lot of time over there and had bulls that were trying to keep their harem together and actually made a bee line to my rig. We moved about the unit and saw at least a dozen shooters (if we had a permit). The thing that really got me is when we stopped at a huge shale slide, (reminded us of a gravel pit here on the Westside) and pulled out our .22's for a little target practice. As the .22 bullets would glance off the shale, they would make a whining, high pitch sound. It didn't take but a few shots and we had a bull bugling at us. We stopped shooting and he stopped bugling. We would occasionally take a shot as if we were bugling back and he would bugle. He started getting closer so we just quit shooting. With no bugling at all he silently came in and showed himself on the far side of the shale slide. He was what I would consider huge. I also opened my truck door, that squeaks, and got a bugle out of a bull in another area of the unit.

Keep in mind this was a scouting trip in the peak of the rut so the bulls were suffering from a massive IQ drop. But they are there, so if you end up hunting the Eastside make sure you continue to put in for permits. I personally have only taken a spike bull and a few Mulie bucks from that side of the mountains but I spent 90% of my time on the Westside so my record doesn't count for much over there.

Lefthook

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal