collapse
A Hunting Trip of a lifetime in the Wenaha Tucannon Wilderness! Trophy Bucks and Bulls

Author Topic: 875 yard .308 Elk kill  (Read 15447 times)

Online JDHasty

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Re: 875 yard .308 Elk kill
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2017, 09:13:43 AM »
A bullet that dosent expand still has kynetic energy. What happens when you shoot a milk jug with an fmj?

Depends on striking velocity

Online JDHasty

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2017, 09:14:32 AM »
You guys simply don't know what you are talking about.  You have probably been watching too much hunting on television wherein every elk that the hero touches with a bullet tips over and dies.  The dirty little secret that really isn't so secret is that what you get to see is actually put together from cuts from footage that leave out, as Paul Harvey used to say, The Rest of the Story.

A jacketed bullet that does not expand is not going to be any more lethal than would be shooting an elk with an arrow w/a field point on it.  Or as the Ballistic Engineer form Sierra I referenced in an earlier thread put it:  ... would be no more immediately lethal than stabbing them with a pencil.

I deal in fact

Do you believe the things you post or are you just trolling?

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »
I am glad that I now know that animals hearts can still function with holes through them!!  I didn't realize we were dealing with this kind of super animal.. Guess I need to rethink my weapon of choice.

Offline dontgetcrabs

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »
You guys simply don't know what you are talking about.  You have probably been watching too much hunting on television wherein every elk that the hero touches with a bullet tips over and dies.  The dirty little secret that really isn't so secret is that what you get to see is actually put together from cuts from footage that leave out, as Paul Harvey used to say, The Rest of the Story.

A jacketed bullet that does not expand is not going to be any more lethal than would be shooting an elk with an arrow w/a field point on it.  Or as the Ballistic Engineer form Sierra I referenced in an earlier thread put it:  ... would be no more immediately lethal than stabbing them with a pencil.

I deal in fact

No you deal in ignorance.

Online JDHasty

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2017, 09:19:02 AM »
I am glad that I now know that animals hearts can still function with holes through them!!  I didn't realize we were dealing with this kind of super animal.. Guess I need to rethink my weapon of choice.

If you are one of the Volleyfire Brigade who advocate in favor of mag dumping at elk at ranges approaching a quarter mile w/an AR 15, or if you are sending hail Mary shots at two to three times that that distance w/a 308 then you very well might want to reconsider whether you want to continue down that road.   

Online JDHasty

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »

I deal in fact

It is you who deals in ignorance and the saddest part of it is you get all smug about it. 

Offline BLRman

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2017, 09:22:50 AM »
Sounds like some need to spend less time on the internet and more time shooting large animals  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline dontgetcrabs

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2017, 09:23:20 AM »

I deal in fact

It is you who deals in ignorance and the saddest part of it is you get all smug about it.

HAHAHAHA You're a joke,   :tup:

Online h20hunter

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2017, 09:28:07 AM »
Locked . This horse is beat to death.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:28:36 AM by h20hunter »
Yes, my FJ is pink, I'm all about Team Jacob, beer is not for the horses nor is whiskey for the men, they are both for me.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2017, 11:19:14 AM »
Sounds like some need to spend less time on the internet and more time shooting large animals  :twocents:

:tup:

My website.....DDK Photography
http://ddkphotography.pixels.com

ElkNut Outdoor Productions