collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 875 yard .308 Elk kill  (Read 51893 times)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: 875 yard .308 Elk kill
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2016, 08:11:55 PM »
So, how close in yards must one be for it to be hunting? Legit question. 200? 300?
You are questioning the elite??  :chuckle:

Offline horsehunter509

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 08:14:37 PM »
And that's hunting these days?   Hmmmm not for me

It's not hunting.
I get if that's not your style. I've shot some close and some long range shots. Would like to see landowners "rule book" on what is and isn't hunting.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »
Guess we should differentiate hunting vs shooting abilities. No??

Offline 3nails

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
    • Jeff Hinkle
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 08:23:32 PM »
 To be fair, the guy missed his target drastically. Pretty sure he wasn't trying to make that neck shot. Could just as easily missed the other direction and clipped it's butt.
Amadeo
https://www.youtube.com/@3nails337

Instagram    3nails_hinkle

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 08:36:41 PM »
you could do that with an AR-15 type rifle  :chuckle:

6.5BRX and .270AR come to mind.
LOL YES!
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2016, 08:37:11 PM »
So, how close in yards must one be for it to be hunting? Legit question. 200? 300?
I don't think that can be adequately answered. The concept of "fair chase" may be an applicable consideration. Boone and Crockett states the following:

Fair chase is part of an overall hunting ethic. It reflects an ideal to pursue game in the field in a manner that pays respect to the animals hunted and the traditions of hunting as a mechanism for conservation. Fair chase is an approach that elevates the quality of the chase, the challenge, and experience above all else. By not overwhelming game species with human capabilities, fair chase helps define a hunter’s engagement in conservation. Fair chase has been embraced by hunters as the proper conduct of a sportsman in the field, and taught to new hunters for over a century.

As with any guideline that falls within a legal framework, but is also grounded in personal ethics that cannot and should not be legislated, interpretations of fair chase can vary. Laws are largely set by society and to protect, conserve and manage wildlife resources that are held in the public trust. Ethical decisions in hunting, however, ultimately rest with the individual in what feels right or wrong, and what technologies or methods are acceptable or unacceptable for them to be successful.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2016, 08:48:33 PM »
I don't think that can be adequately answered. The concept of "fair chase" may be an applicable consideration. Boone and Crockett states the following:

Fair chase is part of an overall hunting ethic. It reflects an ideal to pursue game in the field in a manner that pays respect to the animals hunted and the traditions of hunting as a mechanism for conservation. Fair chase is an approach that elevates the quality of the chase, the challenge, and experience above all else. By not overwhelming game species with human capabilities, fair chase helps define a hunter’s engagement in conservation. Fair chase has been embraced by hunters as the proper conduct of a sportsman in the field, and taught to new hunters for over a century.

As with any guideline that falls within a legal framework, but is also grounded in personal ethics that cannot and should not be legislated, interpretations of fair chase can vary. Laws are largely set by society and to protect, conserve and manage wildlife resources that are held in the public trust. Ethical decisions in hunting, however, ultimately rest with the individual in what feels right or wrong, and what technologies or methods are acceptable or unacceptable for them to be successful.

Boone and Crockett carried what were then the most advanced rifles of their day. I'm sure the shots taken at that time were considered extreme.

What some of us are doing these days is no different.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2016, 10:44:44 PM »
Shooting the smaller one doesn't bother me at all.   I've done it  multiple times myself.   Maybe that was all the meat he needed/wanted.

What does bother me is the neck shot.    That was just plain lucky and as Bean pointed out he could just as easily have drilled it in the butt.   Poor form.    Unless he can affect neck shots on elk at over 800 yards, in which case I am truly impressed.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 05:36:47 AM »
When I was in the military and trained on the M60 machinegun we were told that the maximum effective range for the 7.62×51mm NATO (.308 Winchester) was 1100 yds and would knock a man back several ft when hit square in the chest. Also, it was the sniper round for many years.

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 10:16:02 AM »
 Love how often posts like this have come up, meant to stir the ethics police up...outcome will be predictable :)
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2016, 10:23:56 AM »

Boone and Crockett carried what were then the most advanced rifles of their day. I'm sure the shots taken at that time were considered extreme.

I'm not sure I would compare myself to Daniel Boone when it comes to hunting ethics.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2016, 10:26:08 AM »

I'm not sure I would compare myself to Daniel Boone when it comes to hunting ethics.

I wasn't. I was pointing out that they were using the most modern weapons of thier day.

Nice try though.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2016, 10:26:18 AM »
Here we go again. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline The Gobble-stopper

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2016, 11:02:10 AM »
To be fair, the guy missed his target drastically. Pretty sure he wasn't trying to make that neck shot. Could just as easily missed the other direction and clipped it's butt.
Exactly, Is it my imagination, or wasn't the one he shot a calf? And the one above that the big cow. Maybe he really missed his mark way low, and to the left, and just got lucky and hit something???? I am all for a gun that will shoot where you want, but I thought half the fun was the stock not the kill??? Am I wrong, seems like they had time to get closer.

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 11:02:33 AM »

I was wondering about his wind call. He said "2MOA to the right", and "1/4 value wind", and "2MOA was closer to 1/3 value". So he was holding ~18" right and hit maybe 15" left of POA. Unless he was aiming for the neck at 875 yards.
Sure looked like the tree's in the video were swaying pretty good.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]