collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 875 yard .308 Elk kill  (Read 51921 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: 875 yard .308 Elk kill
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2016, 11:18:04 AM »
So, how close in yards must one be for it to be hunting? Legit question. 200? 300?
I don't think that can be adequately answered. The concept of "fair chase" may be an applicable consideration. Boone and Crockett states the following:

Fair chase is part of an overall hunting ethic. It reflects an ideal to pursue game in the field in a manner that pays respect to the animals hunted and the traditions of hunting as a mechanism for conservation. Fair chase is an approach that elevates the quality of the chase, the challenge, and experience above all else. By not overwhelming game species with human capabilities, fair chase helps define a hunter’s engagement in conservation. Fair chase has been embraced by hunters as the proper conduct of a sportsman in the field, and taught to new hunters for over a century.

As with any guideline that falls within a legal framework, but is also grounded in personal ethics that cannot and should not be legislated, interpretations of fair chase can vary. Laws are largely set by society and to protect, conserve and manage wildlife resources that are held in the public trust. Ethical decisions in hunting, however, ultimately rest with the individual in what feels right or wrong, and what technologies or methods are acceptable or unacceptable for them to be successful.

Boone and Crockett carried what were then the most advanced rifles of their day. I'm sure the shots taken at that time were considered extreme.

What some of us are doing these days is no different.

I'm not sure I would compare myself to Daniel Boone when it comes to hunting ethics.

I wasn't. I was pointing out that they were using the most modern weapons of thier day.

Nice try though.

OK, in that case I agree we are all using modern weapons.  I guess I missed the part where this thread became about the age of the rifle. 

I am sure Daniel Boone took long shots whenever he had the chance, his goal was to kill as many deer as possible, harvest the hide and leave 99% of the meat.  His goal was certainly not to humanely harvest an animal with a clean shot.

When someone posts a "great" head or neck shot at long distances, we all know they hit far from where they were aiming - several feet.  When you see the long distance shots on TV and the rifle covers up the gut shot, the butt shot, it's the same thing.  I don't celebrate that as awesome.

The ballistics are terrifying, 250-350 inch drop, a measly 600-700 foot pounds of energy, and over 100 inches of wind drift for 10 mph.

Offline Landowner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2016, 11:22:28 AM »
And that's hunting these days?   Hmmmm not for me

It's not hunting.
I get if that's not your style. I've shot some close and some long range shots. Would like to see landowners "rule book" on what is and isn't hunting.

I ain't got no hard core ranges in mind.  But I remember my grandpa teaching me how  to hunt and what hunting was all about.  It was about a lot more than the kill.  As far as killing animals long range, each to their own. 

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2016, 11:28:30 AM »
When I was in the military and trained on the M60 machinegun we were told that the maximum effective range for the 7.62×51mm NATO (.308 Winchester) was 1100 yds and would knock a man back several ft when hit square in the chest. Also, it was the sniper round for many years.

Human Beings are relatively easy to kill compared to wild game...

Just say'n

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2016, 11:43:30 AM »
Yeah, but if you're good enough to make 875 yard neck shots, you're good to go either way......

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2016, 11:46:12 AM »
When I was in the military and trained on the M60 machinegun we were told that the maximum effective range for the 7.62×51mm NATO (.308 Winchester) was 1100 yds and would knock a man back several ft when hit square in the chest. Also, it was the sniper round for many years.

Just say'n

I disagree

Just say'n

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2016, 11:51:37 AM »

Just say'n

I disagree

Just say'n

LOL

Offline 2MANY

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2016, 12:06:21 PM »
Looks like a lot of wind a blowing.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2016, 12:07:49 PM »
It's like posting a winning lottery ticket.  You don't see the pile of tickets that didn't win.

My 30-06 maxes out between 400 and 500 yards before it doesn't have enough energy for what I feel is an ethical shot.

Personally, I admire the guy that brags about the 20 yard shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That didn't take long!  :chuckle: That was a great shot. You don't know they took other shots and missed,  and all due respects to you, no one cares what range you're comfortable with shooting your .30-06. .308s have been making 800-1000 yard kill shots since Hathcock and before. :chuckle: Long range game isn't my thing but this guy dialed it in and put it right in the boiler room. Give credit where it's due. :twocents:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2016, 12:09:03 PM »
It's like posting a winning lottery ticket.  You don't see the pile of tickets that didn't win.

My 30-06 maxes out between 400 and 500 yards before it doesn't have enough energy for what I feel is an ethical shot.

Personally, I admire the guy that brags about the 20 yard shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That didn't take long!  :chuckle: That was a great shot. You don't know they took other shots and missed,  and all due respects to you, no one cares what range you're comfortable with shooting your .30-06. .308s have been making 800-1000 yard kill shots since Hathcock and before. :chuckle: Long range game isn't my thing but this guy dialed it in and put it right in the boiler room. Give credit where it's due. :twocents:

:yeah:  I'm not qualified to make the shot personally but if I was I don't think it would be unethical at all.

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2016, 12:16:34 PM »
Boiler room is usually a heart/lung shot.  Just sayin'.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2016, 12:18:47 PM »
I think his wind call could have been better, but this does show how lethal even .308 can be.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2016, 12:19:26 PM »
C'mon guys. Can't you just see a video of a great shot and stop judging other hunters based on your own personal baggage? We don't get to decide that someone else's legal kill is or isn't hunting. I like the question posted prior asking at what range it's considered hunting. I would go a step further and ask at what point with modern equipment is it no longer considered hunting? I suggest that using anything other than a spear isn't hunting to some. A muzzleloader with fiber optics isn't hunting. Killing an elk with a compound bow isn't hunting. Using a rifle? That's just shooting. You must need a step ladder to get up on that high horse. :chuckle:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2016, 12:20:19 PM »
Boiler room is usually a heart/lung shot.  Just sayin'.

I didn't see where it hit. I thought it was the boiler room from the way it went down. Spine then?

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2016, 12:22:35 PM »
Several people said head or neck.  I didn't watch the whole video or see where the impact was.

It was a good kill shot though even if he got a little lucky.  I've gotten lucky before on shots before too.  Cool video and the hunter should be congratulated.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »

Just say'n

Shoot me in the toe with a BB and I'm going down right there.  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal