collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 875 yard .308 Elk kill  (Read 51897 times)

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
Re: 875 yard .308 Elk kill
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2016, 07:58:49 PM »
you could do that with an AR-15 type rifle  :chuckle:

6.5BRX and .270AR come to mind.

I'm intrigued.......

Wonders never cease to amaze me.
Nothing for nothing, but that's weird to me. I'm trying to have that conversation in my head. I'm going to shoot the smaller elk because it's smaller and we have too far to pack it out??
Maybe they should have hunted a little closer to the road. Better yet...maybe if they didn't have to shoot so far, it would have been closer to the road.

I have this conversation with myself every time I think about shooting any critter. Have you ever tried to carry a porcupine 2.4 miles back to the truck? It makes you reconsider your views on road hunting! :chuckle:

Am I the only one who's amazed that he made that shot with a Vortex PST? The fact that he was able to make out the elk at that range through that scope is a noteworthy feat if you ask me!

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2016, 08:41:13 PM »
Boiler room is usually a heart/lung shot.  Just sayin'.

I didn't see where it hit. I thought it was the boiler room from the way it went down. Spine then?
if you look at the video at 8:45 you can see the wound in the upper spine area in front of the shoulders...i wouln't neccessarily classify this as a "neck shot" ...have no idea why they targeted this cow and said that it would be "easier" to pack out as far as the distance from the road when they are packing with horses...the cow above this one in the video appears to be almost double the size of the one he killed.  As far as the Carlos Hathcock similarites someone made in the post Hathcock used a remington 30-06 (which is similar to the 308 in ballistics) but everything that i have researched has shown that his shots over 1000 yards, including his documented 2,500 yard shot) was done with a 50 bmg...even the shot he killed the NVA sniper that was shot trough the scope was at around 100 yards even though that was tried to being accurate in the American Sniper movie...not saying that Chris Kyle didn't kill him at that range but there is no way with the drop of the bullet at a mile that it went through the scope and killed him...just my  :twocents:
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2016, 09:01:24 PM »

I didn't see where it hit. I thought it was the boiler room from the way it went down. Spine then?
if you look at the video at 8:45 you can see the wound in the upper spine area in front of the shoulders...i wouln't neccessarily classify this as a "neck shot" ...have no idea why they targeted this cow and said that it would be "easier" to pack out as far as the distance from the road when they are packing with horses...the cow above this one in the video appears to be almost double the size of the one he killed.  As far as the Carlos Hathcock similarites someone made in the post Hathcock used a remington 30-06 (which is similar to the 308 in ballistics) but everything that i have researched has shown that his shots over 1000 yards, including his documented 2,500 yard shot) was done with a 50 bmg...even the shot he killed the NVA sniper that was shot trough the scope was at around 100 yards even though that was tried to being accurate in the American Sniper movie...not saying that Chris Kyle didn't kill him at that range but there is no way with the drop of the bullet at a mile that it went through the scope and killed him...just my  :twocents:

Uh your losing me 50 BMG wasn't even out during VIetnam.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2016, 09:05:46 PM »

Uh your losing me 50 BMG wasn't even out during VIetnam.

Uhhhh. It had been out for quite a while by Vietnam. If you are thinking Barrett style rifles you are right. Hathcock used a M2 with an improvised optic.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 09:14:21 PM by jay.sharkbait »

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2016, 09:21:53 PM »
yup i mis-stated the type...you guys are right with the M2
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2016, 09:27:31 PM »
Hathcock used a Winchester Model 70, in 3006 with a 8X Unirti scope.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Thefishguy77

• Tracker
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2016, 12:40:56 AM »
Look it's like this. I have friends that can make that exact shot in most any conditions. I have the same rifles they have and won't shoot big game over 500 M.

30-06, 308, 270, 260. It has nothing to do with the round but everything to do with my ability and confidence behind the rifle. Unless you are using a stick and string you made with wood arrows and bird feathers for fletchings.  We are all using some sort of technological advantage. So to say it's not right because you prefer spot and stock or another form is your choice. It does look like the shooter missed and got lucky. But there are people out there that take and make that shot with a higher percentage than the average shooter at 100M. So don't bash the shot. You can disagree with it and that's fine. We are all untitled to our choice. Just like some of us meat hunt and some of us only want mature animals. Some of us modern rifle and some archery and some muzzle load. It all personal preference and ability.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers but I know people that can make that shot all day long. Hell my dad would take that shot as well. He was a shooter before joining civilian life and would tell you the vertebrae he hit while we were walking up to the animal. It's amazing when you get to see it in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2016, 02:56:00 AM »
I'd never want to shoot that far that late, but if you got the gear and tenacity to do so more power to you. 200-500 yard is my max especially when one considers packing meat out.
Good shot though if you have the confidence in your gun and abilities no big deal.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline The Gobble-stopper

• Scout
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2016, 02:38:29 PM »
My apologies! I stated earlier that he must have missed the upper cow and got lucky and hit the calf. The sound didn't work the first time I watched. So he was shooting at the calf. Ok so he got a portion of the meat he would have gotten had he shot the cow instead. Hey he had to go to the elk anyway. I personally would have taken the cow, even if it meant two days of packing. But that is just me. Still I wonder why with daylight hours still there, why people don't use there hunting ability to stalk an animal. Almost anyone can shoot a well equipped rifle at a target at that range and hit the bullseye. And that is just marksmanship, with a little tuning. But a true hunter I thought would try his real skills and try for the close shot. Is anyone with me... And not saying any of this to offend anyone.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2016, 02:50:49 PM »
My apologies! I stated earlier that he must have missed the upper cow and got lucky and hit the calf. The sound didn't work the first time I watched. So he was shooting at the calf. Ok so he got a portion of the meat he would have gotten had he shot the cow instead. Hey he had to go to the elk anyway. I personally would have taken the cow, even if it meant two days of packing. But that is just me. Still I wonder why with daylight hours still there, why people don't use there hunting ability to stalk an animal. Almost anyone can shoot a well equipped rifle at a target at that range and hit the bullseye. And that is just marksmanship, with a little tuning. But a true hunter I thought would try his real skills and try for the close shot. Is anyone with me... And not saying any of this to offend anyone.

I could care less about the stalk and will shoot as soon as I have a viable legal shot.

Online mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2016, 03:00:28 PM »
there is "hunting" and there is "shooting"....not necessarily the same. Many head to the field for different reasons. Satisfaction is in the eye of the individual..
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2016, 03:06:07 PM »
I'm right, you're wrong case closed next topic....
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Online mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2016, 03:07:52 PM »
I'm right, you're wrong case closed next topic....
👍
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline Damnimissed

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2016, 12:18:30 PM »
Only 3 pages? I'm disappointed, I thought this one would have some legs.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2016, 12:40:24 PM »
Hathcock used a Winchester Model 70, in 3006 with a 8X Unirti scope.

My mistake.  My friend Rocky, who was a Scout/Sniper during the same period told me it was a .308, or at least that's what I remember. I'll have to double-check my signed copy of Marine Sniper. It's not really signed by Charles Henderson, the author. It's signed by Hathcock.  :) Pretty cool to have.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]