collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 875 yard .308 Elk kill  (Read 51895 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Re: 875 yard .308 Elk kill
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »
Are you high? If you want to say a .308 isn't LR medicine, that's one thing. But saying you can hit it in the heart and lose the animal isn't your argument

You guys simply don't know what you are talking about.  You have probably been watching too much hunting on television wherein every elk that the hero touches with a bullet tips over and dies.  The dirty little secret that really isn't so secret is that what you get to see is actually put together from cuts from footage that leave out, as Paul Harvey used to say, The Rest of the Story.

A jacketed bullet that does not expand is not going to be any more lethal than would be shooting an elk with an arrow w/a field point on it.  Or as the Ballistic Engineer form Sierra I referenced in an earlier thread put it:  ... would be no more immediately lethal than stabbing them with a pencil. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 08:24:22 AM by JDHasty »

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2017, 08:53:17 AM »
Wow! 

I am so glad and feel very blessed that you are taking the time to educate us all with your unwavering knowledge hasty...  :puke: :puke: :puke:

You still haven't explained how the numerous elk and other animals shot with "target" bullets have ever died. By your posts it seems like there should still be thousands upon thousands of animals out there with pencil hole scars!

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2017, 09:00:32 AM »
A bullet that dosent expand still has kynetic energy. What happens when you shoot a milk jug with an fmj?
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2017, 09:01:52 AM »
Unlike pencils and arrows, bullets create hydrostatic shock even at velocities too slow to allow full expansion. The shock creates trauma and damages blood vessels in its wake. This effect can easily demonstrated by shooting a handgun bullet into a media such as ballistic gelatin.

To suggest that a big game bullet travelling at supersonic velocities which penetrates the heart or lungs of a big animal won’t kill it is foolish and ignorant of how bullets work.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline dontgetcrabs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
You guys simply don't know what you are talking about.  You have probably been watching too much hunting on television wherein every elk that the hero touches with a bullet tips over and dies.  The dirty little secret that really isn't so secret is that what you get to see is actually put together from cuts from footage that leave out, as Paul Harvey used to say, The Rest of the Story.

A jacketed bullet that does not expand is not going to be any more lethal than would be shooting an elk with an arrow w/a field point on it.  Or as the Ballistic Engineer form Sierra I referenced in an earlier thread put it:  ... would be no more immediately lethal than stabbing them with a pencil.

Do you believe the things you post or are you just trolling? 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2017, 09:08:45 AM »
Wow! 

I am so glad and feel very blessed that you are taking the time to educate us all with your unwavering knowledge hasty...  :puke: :puke: :puke:

You still haven't explained how the numerous elk and other animals shot with "target" bullets have ever died. By your posts it seems like there should still be thousands upon thousands of animals out there with pencil hole scars!

I have explained adnauseam that there is a difference between what is know as anecdotally derived conclusions and statistically valid conclusions that are derived from data that has been collected and analyzed using the "scientific method."   

The problem your average shade tree ballistics expert has is that they cannot hope to have the resources available to get to a valid conclusion and another issue is that they tend to discount data that does not support their desired outcome. 

I have never said that "numerous elk and other animals shot with "target" bullets have never died,"  that is you trying to set up a what is known as a straw man.  I have said that Sierra engineers have done exponentially more testing than  any shade tree ballistician and their conclusions were based on enough data to give their conclusions statistical probability of being valid  that your small set of data lacks.   

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2017, 09:09:38 AM »
Even a 22 cal hole threw the heart would be a dead elk.

Also a 1 moa rifle should shoot 5" at 500 with out wind. If your getting an 18" group at 500 you may need a lesson On parallax. I've never known a long range guy to be happy with a moa gun. I average 2.5"-3" at 500 with wind but still not happy with that. Always chasing that better group.

That would be through, not threw.  Anyway: No it is not, not with a bullet that doesn't expand!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:15:09 AM by JDHasty »

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2017, 09:12:20 AM »
Even a 22 cal hole threw the heart would be a dead elk.

Also a 1 moa rifle should shoot 5" at 500 with out wind. If your getting an 18" group at 500 you may need a lesson On parallax. I've never known a long range guy to be happy with a moa gun. I average 2.5"-3" at 500 with wind but still not happy with that. Always chasing that better group.

That would be trough, not threw.  Anyway: No it is not, not with a bullet that doesn't expand!
That would be "through", not "trough".
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »
Unlike pencils and arrows, bullets create hydrostatic shock even at velocities too slow to allow full expansion. The shock creates trauma and damages blood vessels in its wake. This effect can easily demonstrated by shooting a handgun bullet into a media such as ballistic gelatin.

To suggest that a big game bullet travelling at supersonic velocities which penetrates the heart or lungs of a big animal won’t kill it is foolish and ignorant of how bullets work.

It may or may not kill it.  It PROBABLY will not kill it soon enough to recover the animal if it does kill it though.  But just because an elk is shot through the heart with a bullet that does not expand that does not mean it is going to tip over right where it is standing. 

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
Don't we have the empirical evidence at post 1 of this thread that a bullet from a .308 can kill an elk quickly  at long range?

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2017, 09:13:43 AM »
A bullet that dosent expand still has kynetic energy. What happens when you shoot a milk jug with an fmj?

Depends on striking velocity

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2017, 09:14:32 AM »

I deal in fact

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #177 on: February 13, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »
I am glad that I now know that animals hearts can still function with holes through them!!  I didn't realize we were dealing with this kind of super animal.. Guess I need to rethink my weapon of choice.

Offline dontgetcrabs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #178 on: February 13, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »

I deal in fact

No you deal in ignorance.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2017, 09:19:02 AM »
I am glad that I now know that animals hearts can still function with holes through them!!  I didn't realize we were dealing with this kind of super animal.. Guess I need to rethink my weapon of choice.

If you are one of the Volleyfire Brigade who advocate in favor of mag dumping at elk at ranges approaching a quarter mile w/an AR 15, or if you are sending hail Mary shots at two to three times that that distance w/a 308 then you very well might want to reconsider whether you want to continue down that road.   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]