collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk poaching slaughter, Ellensburg.  (Read 34147 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Elk poaching slaughter, Ellensburg.
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2016, 12:29:36 PM »
I'll check Snopes.  ;)
I guess maybe I should've checked there first.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2016, 12:31:16 PM »
Can't even say what I want to!😡😡😡
:yeah: people that do this should, well I will keep my comments to myself lest incriminating myself in an open forum, especially for the dipdunks that don't see this as a big deal  :bash:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
Thanks for some vetting of the report!

Offline Andy Walgamott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • https://www.facebook.com/andy.walgamott
  • Groups: NSIA
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2016, 12:34:36 PM »
Hi, all, thanks for your interest in the story I did on this case. Let me try to address some of these concerns.

Just before 11 a.m. today the site that hosts our company's websites went down for about 45 minutes, making it impossible to find the story. The site should be working again.

I can understand why some might be leery of news from a nontraditional news source such as Northwest Sportsman, especially in this day and age. Frankly, I'm guilty of doing the exact same thing as you: "Wait a minute, why isn't this on Channel ___/in Newspaper ___? Who the heck are these jokers at nwsportsmanmag.com?!? Dang fake news!!"

In my and other reporters' defense, my gig is pretty focused on Northwest fishing, hunting and wildlife, so I'm not being dragged off on all sorts of man-bites-dog/human interest/etc. tangents like reporters at more traditional news outlets are.

Just to outline my reporting here: Yesterday afternoon I was contacted by WDFW Officer Roman Varyvoda and we discussed the case. I asked for images, which he supplied, and I cranked out that blog before 5.

Subsequently I was contacted by one of the people who reported the incident to WDFW and will be writing a follow-up blog with their thoughts.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions (or story tips!), feel free to contact me at awalgamott@media-inc.com.

Thanks!

AW
NWS

Offline scottr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2016, 12:48:12 PM »
I just spoke with someone at the Unit headquarters and they were just learning of the incident as well so it's likely one of those things that was kept quiet during the initial investigation and gets publicized when prudent. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2016, 12:49:30 PM »
Quick question:
Has anyone determined if this is a legitimate story?  I've searched for stories on this and the only sources online are forums/blogs and facebook.  I've not yet seen a legitimate news agency report on this. 

DICSLAIMER!!!
I have no idea about nwsportsmansmag and can't seem to get on to the website, but I'd expect there to be bigger news outlets covering this story, especially if it was done by liberals that are trying to paint hunters in a bad light.  It may be a legit news agency, but I don't know much about it.  My point here is that I'd expect a news agency like King5 or at least the Ellensburg Record to have a report on this.  I didn't find any, but I didn't search too hard.
A quick google search comes up with the first three hits being about "Bullwinkle" then the NWsportsmansmag article about this incident.  Interesting.  My wifes friend said that they came across a poached cow in the colockum on Sunday, I will see if it was in Schnebly canyon or not.

I found the same results Rainier.  The NWSportsmans link that doesn't work for me, and a lot of links about Bullwinkle.  There is a Rokslide and a facebook links as well, but I suspect those are linking to the same NWSportsmans (phantom?) post. 

If you guys used the words "schnebly" and "poaching" or something along those lines, take note of the name of one of the main folks interviewed in the Bullwinkle articles.
Probably why you got all the Bullwinkle search results.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »
I was hoping it was a fake story.  What a shame. 
Thanks for following up with us Andy.

Offline Elkrunner

• Sourdough
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2016, 12:51:38 PM »
Hi, all, thanks for your interest in the story I did on this case. Let me try to address some of these concerns.

Just before 11 a.m. today the site that hosts our company's websites went down for about 45 minutes, making it impossible to find the story. The site should be working again.

I can understand why some might be leery of news from a nontraditional news source such as Northwest Sportsman, especially in this day and age. Frankly, I'm guilty of doing the exact same thing as you: "Wait a minute, why isn't this on Channel ___/in Newspaper ___? Who the heck are these jokers at nwsportsmanmag.com?!? Dang fake news!!"

In my and other reporters' defense, my gig is pretty focused on Northwest fishing, hunting and wildlife, so I'm not being dragged off on all sorts of man-bites-dog/human interest/etc. tangents like reporters at more traditional news outlets are.

Just to outline my reporting here: Yesterday afternoon I was contacted by WDFW Officer Roman Varyvoda and we discussed the case. I asked for images, which he supplied, and I cranked out that blog before 5.

Subsequently I was contacted by one of the people who reported the incident to WDFW and will be writing a follow-up blog with their thoughts.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions (or story tips!), feel free to contact me at awalgamott@media-inc.com.

Thanks!

AW
NWS

:tup:

Offline Andy Walgamott

• Pilgrim
    • https://www.facebook.com/andy.walgamott
  • Groups: NSIA
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »
Not a problem.

AW
NWS

Offline 1bugman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • All good things come to those who shoot strait.
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2016, 01:28:05 PM »
Andy, Thank You for the info. You do great work.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
I wouldn't have posted it if it was a bogus story. I checked it out before I posted it on here and all over facebook. I am glad it was checked out further though, nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, I am willing to put up $100 bucks toward the reward. I think it would be great to get a fundraiser from Hunt WA to add to the reward if anyone else is willing.

A loud voice of disgust from the hunting community is what is going to help us retain a decent image and perhaps, help catch these (this) person.

I am not sure how to proceed with something like that, if the Wdfw would need to be contacted and involved...just spit balling.

Like all of you, this just sickens me, and I want to put some money where my mouth is.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2016, 01:41:43 PM »

Offline JDhunting_Aus

• Tracker
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2016, 01:47:33 PM »
That makes me furious,

But to put into perspective that's perfectly legal in Australia and I've seen it happen.

No salvage laws or tags so the scumbags that want to bomb up deer And leave them to rot are legally entitled to.

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A112 using Tapatalk

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2016, 01:49:15 PM »
I wouldn't have posted it if it was a bogus story. I checked it out before I posted it on here and all over facebook. I am glad it was checked out further though, nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, I am willing to put up $100 bucks toward the reward. I think it would be great to get a fundraiser from Hunt WA to add to the reward if anyone else is willing.

A loud voice of disgust from the hunting community is what is going to help us retain a decent image and perhaps, help catch these (this) person.

I am not sure how to proceed with something like that, if the Wdfw would need to be contacted and involved...just spit balling.

Like all of you, this just sickens me, and I want to put some money where my mouth is.

I would donate to the cause as well.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2016, 02:49:38 PM »
Kiro article says that the Northwest Chapter of Safari Club International is offering the reward.  I would think you could make a donation to them and ask that it go to the reward fund.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal