collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turbo rebuild  (Read 12160 times)

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Turbo rebuild
« on: November 28, 2016, 04:55:49 PM »
Rebuilding a '01 7.3 stock turbo.
Any advice before I buy my parts?
Plan to put aftermarket wheel and a non-wastegate housing in. Anything else on the cheaper side of things while I'm in there you can think of?

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Turbo rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 04:58:46 PM »
take that tube off the back of the Turbo pedestal, thread the hole and put a pipe plug in it, they leak if you don't and its not necessary, according to a 7.3 nut friend of mind that is an 'Extreme cold weather option' we plugged mine and it never leaked again.

of course I did switch to a Turbonetics 96MM turbo after my stock one grenaded
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline brush hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 05:20:32 PM »
Throw it away and replace it with a new turbo. Or find a good shop to rebuild it, or have you rebuilt it before? When you mention cheaper, all I think of is it's going to last till after the first start up. This is not a part you use the cheapest stuff you can find. Although it is only a 7.3, You could save even more going to U-Pull it, They have plenty of them.
That's my one shot.

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 05:50:40 PM »
Throw it away and replace it with a new turbo. Or find a good shop to rebuild it, or have you rebuilt it before? When you mention cheaper, all I think of is it's going to last till after the first start up. This is not a part you use the cheapest stuff you can find. Although it is only a 7.3, You could save even more going to U-Pull it, They have plenty of them.
Spaldings and or Pull and Save in Spokane or Anderson Auto Parts in Walla Walla, Pasco Auto wrecking in Pasco....hope that helps the OP
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 08:15:09 PM »
I deleted the ebpv with a new pedestal awhile ago.
I would love to get new turbo. But I'm going to collage for new career change so trying to minimize somewhat unnecessary cost. Turbo is plenty for me at this stage, I have a boost leak that I can't pin down so was going that route . 

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 08:26:06 PM »

No need to throw it away. It don't cost much to rebuild one. My dad has but to be honest it doesn't look all that hard.
Been talking to clay at riff raff, doing what he suggested at this point in life.

Offline bullfisher

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 10:26:39 PM »
Be careful, you CAN screw it up. A good turbo shop will also balance that shaft. Keep in mind, they spin around 130,000 rpm.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 07:14:26 AM »
give adp a call 425 291-3999 cliff is the guy. or hatch and kirk .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 08:04:02 AM »
give adp a call 425 291-3999 cliff is the guy. or hatch and kirk .
Adp?

Offline brush hunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 09:21:11 AM »
Be careful, you CAN screw it up. A good turbo shop will also balance that shaft. Keep in mind, they spin around 130,000 rpm.
This is good advice
That's my one shot.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 09:29:59 AM »
I've ot a 1995 Dodge 12v I need to replace the turbo as well.  I was thinking about going with a turbo cartridge option. 

I caught it very early though so it hasn't chewed into the housing. 

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-11559-rotomaster-hx35w-new-turbo-cartridge-assembly-94-98-59l-dodge-cummins.aspx

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 09:34:44 AM »
looks like a piece of cake to change just the cartridge. 

remove intake boot, pull the snap ring off the intake housing, unbolt the exhaust housing, pull the oil lines, bolt on cartridge to exhaust housing, replace oil lines, snap ring intake side, unplug shut off valve, crank engine for a while, plug in shut off valve, start engine, watch it spin awhile, check oil pressure, replace intake boot = done!

Nice thing is you don't need to take the exhaust side off, leave it bolted to the manifold and leave the down pipe alone too. 

At least for the Cummins setup. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 09:41:28 AM by KFhunter »

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 09:22:38 PM »
So if you were to buy new , what would you get for a 7.3?  Any experience with d66

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 08:48:44 AM »
Dieselpowerproducts.com seems to have a good variety of options. They have rebuilt turbos at a seemingly good price.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 02:34:26 PM »
I ordered everything from riff raff on mine, new balanced shaft, new wheel, rebuild kit with 360deg thrust bearing, and new up pipe gaskets.

not hard at all to rebuild, ive done 5 or so of them, only problem I ever had was one of the 12pt bolts backing out after about 1200 miles. I recommend buying new bolts for the 4 in the center section, never had an issue with them after I started replacing those 4 with new.
Id venture a guess that ive got over 150k miles on between the 4 that I have built with 0 issues, the 1st one I built needed to have the bolts in the center sectioned tightened back up, but I didn't even need to pull the turbo to fix it.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 02:35:49 PM »
So if you were to buy new , what would you get for a 7.3?  Any experience with d66

is the rest of the truck stock? a stock turbo on a stock or tuned truck is a good match, throw in some 160cc injectors, bigger oil, and aggressive tuning, a d66 becomes a really good turbo for the e99 and older rigs.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 12:21:00 AM »
How often does a turbo need a rebuild? In my past job we cooked through 3-4 sometimes 5 trucks a year. Never really had many turbo issues. We dumped all the trucks at 200-225k miles. They pulled 14k trailers every mile all over the west coast and rocky mountain region. Seemed like the turbo was never a issue on any except an occasional boot failure

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 11:01:16 AM »
mine went out because it's running higher than recommended boost and a triple disk converter with a stiff engagement - causing turbo bark if you miss the shift point and back off the throttle too late.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 11:02:02 AM »
Pretty reliable under stock conditions, you start increasing the drive pressure and they eat themselves pretty easy

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 11:48:43 AM »
yup - I've been detuning it. 

Stock I was sick of the truck as it's a 1995 auto which was sickly for power.  You couldn't pass anyone because it would shift down, RPM goes up and it would cut back the fuel so you sat there doing nothing.  Couldn't tow due to the same thing, down shift causing defuel. 

So I went a little over the top getting it to drive decent, now it's just about right for power but I can't get the trans to behave. 

It's getting traded for a 6 speed dually 4 door eventually.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 01:39:01 PM »
yup - I've been detuning it. 

Stock I was sick of the truck as it's a 1995 auto which was sickly for power.  You couldn't pass anyone because it would shift down, RPM goes up and it would cut back the fuel so you sat there doing nothing.  Couldn't tow due to the same thing, down shift causing defuel. 

So I went a little over the top getting it to drive decent, now it's just about right for power but I can't get the trans to behave. 

It's getting traded for a 6 speed dually 4 door eventually.

That's what always has irritated me with my 2002 7.3. Just when its pulling it will downshift and spin. What's the easiest way to reliably improve it on a high mile truck without eating it up?
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Zardoz

• Meme Lord
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: NRA,GOA
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 04:47:08 PM »
WOW, can you guys speak English or refer me to a web site for education?  Friend of mine just bought a 2010 Ford with a turbo and I would like to learn more. 

Thanks............
“It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government.”—Thomas Paine

Certa Bonum Certamen
SILENCE LIKE A CANCER,...GROWS.

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 09:54:15 PM »

is the rest of the truck stock? a stock turbo on a stock or tuned truck is a good match, throw in some 160cc injectors, bigger oil, and aggressive tuning, a d66 becomes a really good turbo for the e99 and older rigs.

Most is stock. I have been working my way up. I do have a tunes and a few little things. I have a boost leak that I am tracking down . So that's why I am just rebuilding for now ( that way I don't spend a ton of money on something possibly isn't the problem. In past a up graded turbo and injectors will be put in. For now just fix a boost leak. I will pull motor for it since I have to drop oil pain cause of a oil leak. Project has gotn bigger before I have even started lol

Offline HuntnFishnRyan

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 10:29:43 PM »
make sure to check the casting for cracks before spending any money on it. One common place is by the waste gate. There is a few techniques for checking it. If its cracked just throw it in the scrap bin.  :tup:

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 08:51:26 AM »
WOW, can you guys speak English or refer me to a web site for education?  Friend of mine just bought a 2010 Ford with a turbo and I would like to learn more. 

Thanks............
You can search YouTube and find a lot of good info. Turbos aren't rocket science. Once you learn how they work it's a piece of cake. Older turbos have a fixed wheel on both ends(intake and exhaust side). Turbos are driven from the exhaust gas exiting the engine. That in turn spins the intake side which sucks in air from the filter housing and pushes it out the elbow that goes to the intercooler(which is basically a radiator minus the coolant). The air is cooled through this and goes into the intake on the engine. Newer diesels have variable geometry turbos which have a housing or cone that will slide closer or farther away from the intake compressor wheel based upon engine load, fuel position and such. These turbos help eliminate turbo lag by allowing boost to be present right away. That's why a lot of guys put bigger compressor wheels on. More boost. The only thing is that you have to watch your boost gauge. To much boost allows for a lot of cylinder pressure that can cause blown headgaskets. If I was the op I would buy a stock factory reman turbo. Don't go cheap. You'll pay for it later. Also prelube that new turbo before you start the truck. Lube the internal bearing. Also the #1 killer of turbos is heat. After you are done driving it DONT shut it off right away! Let the truck idle for 5 min or so to let it cool down.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 10:29:01 AM by dyhardhuntr »

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 10:38:02 AM »
Google Austin Tater turbos.  He rebuilds and builds custom turbos.  Out of Ohio.  He is real good.  He machines housings etc.  My 05 Dodge is doing great.  Stock Holset which he machined out increasing size a lot yet maintaining stock like feel with no lag.  Its a whole new truck.  Much cooler and stronger.  Turbo makes more boost so I have to set tuner to keep from blowing head gasket.  1200$ is about what I paid for this.  Keep in mind on your Ford that up pipes should be replaced from old leaky donut gasket to the International pipe set up.  EBPV eliminated and a wastegate may be required if you put aftermarket turbo on or you can blow heads easily with too much boost.  Also your injectors are only going to push so much fuel so don't go too big unless you replace them larger.  Are you after power or cooling?  Most guys put turbo on which is too big only to be disappointed.  Air filter and exhaust help these trucks cool better too.  Also the auto trans will go if you make more HP.  Guaranteed.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 10:47:44 PM »
Google Austin Tater turbos.  He rebuilds and builds custom turbos.  Out of Ohio.  He is real good.  He machines housings etc.  My 05 Dodge is doing great.  Stock Holset which he machined out increasing size a lot yet maintaining stock like feel with no lag.  Its a whole new truck.  Much cooler and stronger.  Turbo makes more boost so I have to set tuner to keep from blowing head gasket.  1200$ is about what I paid for this.  Keep in mind on your Ford that up pipes should be replaced from old leaky donut gasket to the International pipe set up.  EBPV eliminated and a wastegate may be required if you put aftermarket turbo on or you can blow heads easily with too much boost.  Also your injectors are only going to push so much fuel so don't go too big unless you replace them larger.  Are you after power or cooling?  Most guys put turbo on which is too big only to be disappointed.  Air filter and exhaust help these trucks cool better too.  Also the auto trans will go if you make more HP.  Guaranteed.

So, $6-8,000 more on a truck like mine which is realistically worth $8,000?
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 11:33:33 PM »
No, actually the opposite.  I was trying to point out the mistakes of people and their oversized turbos and that it isn't really a great idea to eliminate wastegates.  I gave knowledge so own opinions and decisions can be made.  I sent my stock turbo in to Austin and he machined it and rebuilt it with quality (not Chinese) billet wheels and parts while retaining full stock compatibility.  It is now a 62/65/12.  Much better than stock and at 1200$ much cheaper than buying a new quality turbo.  Ebpv isn't $ to eliminate and up pipes all leak stealing boost thus people think turbo is worn out when its not!  Up pipes leaking is just one of those things all 7.3 guys have to deal with.  Or you can just boost 20psi all day and run it.  I loved my 01 Ford but Cummins is so much cheaper and better-sorry.  Another HUGE tip is put aftermarket fuel filter on before it cost you 5000$!  Stock filter is totally worthless.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2016, 12:17:32 PM »
Just did up pipes at 240,000k. Good improvement, had a lot of leaks. Our 2003 Duramax dog truck is chipped and piped. Only 100k. I just don't feel confident it will have the lifespan of a stock truck. It's fast which, trucks shouldn't be. Just the tuner and exhaust was about $2,500. Folks add fuel filter, beefed up granny a couple thousand, couple hundred, turbo work, a thousand, injectors couple thousand, high cap fuel pump thousand, coolers another thousand then, gotta have a lift, tires and wheels. That's all I meant by a $8,000 truck with $8,000 in add ons.

And a new stock rig has 500 hp and 1,000lbs torque.
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2016, 04:43:06 PM »
True.  60k$ for new one or build your own.  Choices.  I have tuner 1k, turbo 1200 and fuel filter mod 57$. Exhaust300$.  400+hp and 800+tq or more if I want to abuse it.  But towing is strong and cool at 400+hp.  But mpg is great and I doubt many new diesels can match.  Guys I talked too gripe with all the emission crap 12mpg is average.  If true that's 60k not well spent.  Older diesels are worth it in my book.  Resell worth aside, compare it to what you get new at 60k$$$$.  I don't know why more power is really needed.  350hp and 700tq will do most anything.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2016, 09:17:44 PM »
No, its fair. $75k was the 2017 F-350 I was eyeballing sitting around waiting for new steering links on the Chevy already at low miles. Milking old trucks here for as many miles as possible. Hope to get at least five, maybe 8 years more out of our geriatric trio of three diesel trucks.

I figured we need 1,000,000 miles out of the three combined before even considering a change.
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 08:50:36 PM »
So it begins

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 10:43:58 AM »
Sweet, what ya decide to do?  PIA getting some of those clamps off.  Not a lot of room at firewall to work on turbo and pipes!
MAGA!  Again..

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 09:57:48 PM »
Pulling the motor . I have a oil leak on my pan, so with motor out I'm going to try to rebuild it that way. Replacing intercooler and steering box while I'm in there
Just going to rebuild for now , then in a few years get a new turbo.
Hopen to hit it hard this saterday

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 11:11:41 AM »
Pulling the motor . I have a oil leak on my pan, so with motor out I'm going to try to rebuild it that way. Replacing intercooler and steering box while I'm in there
Ya know its probably easier to pull cab off.  Either way its work.  Don't miss the Sat. Hawks game!  You have the step stool scaffold which is the most important tool on those trucks! :chuckle:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2017, 11:37:06 PM »
Ya know its probably easier to pull cab off.  Either way its work.  Don't miss the Sat. Hawks game!  You have the step stool scaffold which is the most important tool on those trucks! :chuckle:

Yes , for just turbo work
But I have to pull motor to fix oil pan

Stop time is 3:pm to be showered and ready to watch. Came home today and my 5year old painted her nails blue and green for tomorrow. GO HAWKS!

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 12:03:45 AM »
Yeah.....kinda confused why you are rebuilding it....

It's nothing special.

It's a stock part on a consumer grade vehicle.....

Dollar per dollar is it worth it? Is it worth putting the $ into and risk dorking it up?

I mean, as a mechanic myself, my time is worth 100$ an hour.... plus, if.you do it yourself, ain't like you are gonna get a warranty or anything... mean if you wanna blame yourself for something going wrong, to each their own I suppose...

I mean, a turbo is fairly simple, but, still critical, If I were to find one in need of teardown and rebuilding, it send it off to.have a pro do it, that way there is some liability to be had in case it fails
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 12:11:56 AM by Night goat »

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 12:25:21 AM »
https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com If you ar doing the box.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2017, 01:42:44 AM »

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 07:48:49 AM »
I did my 1998 F-150 years back and it was shockingly easy. The wiring harness was simple to unplug and put back together. The plastic engine pieces were lightweight etc. Only hard part was two bellhousing bolts, disconnected the driveline, crossmember and loosened the mounts. All I took off was the hood.

I came apart like a breeze and I dropped off the rest at the machine shop near lacey.
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2017, 08:46:52 PM »

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2017, 09:33:03 PM »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2017, 12:10:00 AM »
Enjoying the shop in 1* weather

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2017, 01:21:02 AM »
 Well done, don't forget all the "while you are in there" maintenance. :tup:

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2017, 02:03:35 AM »
Got her started

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2017, 06:27:31 AM »
Well, took it for a spin. Ran good, wheel sounds good. Little coolant leak at Thermostate , so I may need to change that out. Feels good to her it run again

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2017, 06:46:55 AM »
If you haven't replaced the thermostat cover, do yourself a favor and do it now, otherwise your gonna be chasing leaks forever.

Offline n_mathews13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2017, 08:27:03 AM »
Well, got truck all done. Finished last month but had a oil  leak that I couldn't find.  Got it fixed and on the road. Feel good so far, got a few other things to add next month. Time to start getting ready for spring bear

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal