collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting in a blind  (Read 7709 times)

Offline jtrammell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Hunting in a blind
« on: December 06, 2016, 06:46:38 PM »
For those that hunt in a blind, do any of y'all dig a hole inside of the blind to where you stand and and draw back?

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: Hunting in a blind
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 07:06:46 PM »
Sit and draw. You need to practice it and make sure you have room.

Offline Jburke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 07:14:45 PM »
:yeah:
This is the most comfortable way to do it.  Get yourself a good stool of some sort an practice.  You could shoot from kneeling, but it's not very comfortable to kneel for long periods of time.

Offline jtrammell

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 07:19:51 PM »
This is the most comfortable way to do it.  Get yourself a good stool of some sort an practice.  You could shoot from kneeling, but it's not very comfortable to kneel for long periods of time.

Sitting and drawing back is more comfortable than standing?

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 07:23:04 PM »

Yes.  There are some very tall blinds out there but I shoot sitting.  I have a swiveling chair.  Make sure it is quiet put bar soap on it the stop any noise.
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Jburke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:30:56 PM »

If we're talking about potentially being in a blind for very long then I'd say yes. 

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 07:47:10 PM »
Yep just sit. Much less noise that way. Grab the bow and draw and shoot. Movement creates noise and noise is bad. I ahoot sitting from my treestands also.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 08:10:49 PM »
I tried it this last year and would have been successful had I been in the blind when I was suppose to be in there. 

I hated the fact I could only see in front of me.  I practiced alot shooting out of it on a stool, felt very weird at furst but after a while I was confident I could kill sitting down. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline UptheCreek

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 09:17:41 AM »
Killed my first buck out of a blind this year and at least in my experience, there is no way you would want to dig down deep enough to stand in.  Sitting in a blind is plenty comfortable and while it gets frustrating at times with only having a small window to shoot from, it does have its benefits.

Offline AlbinoRhino

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
So I'm switching to archery deer next year after a lifetime of Hunting deer with a rifle.. I'd have to hunt on public land any tips to using a ground blind on public land? Is it completely necessary or would i be better of getting a stand or still hunting... this would be for blacktail

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 12:05:50 PM »
You will make many mistakes hunting from a ground blind, believe  me.set up at home practice shooting making sure your arrow clears the window. Bow hangers can make your blind creek and spook the animal. A good chair will make a world of difference when sitting 10- 14 hours a day.

Offline huntingbaldguy

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 12:32:46 PM »
Buy a swivel chair. Cabelas sells one of the more comfortable ones for a really good price on sale.  It's got a mesh back and swivels really quietly.

Sadly mine got stolen last year alone with my blind.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 01:06:51 PM »
Are these chairs light weight so a person can pack them in a ways if a persons blind is not near a road?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 01:20:37 PM »
Pants with kneepads do wonders.  I have Core4's with kneepads and can't imagine archery hunting without them.  No worries about needing to kneel down in a hurry and taking rocks/sticks in the kneecap.

As far as blinds go, I do not know of many if any that someone could stand up in and shoot a bow.  Everything I have ever seen with regards to archery from a blind has had the person sitting on a stool or seat of some sort.  Draw can be seated or kneeling, shooters choice..  To shoot standing you would probably have to dig a good 2ft deep hole at least..  The stool I have I got from sportco, weighs maybe a pound?  just a simple 3 or 4 leg stool

Offline 724wd

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 01:48:18 PM »
shoot sitting, for sure.  I hunt in a Barronett blind, which is pretty darn tall, but unless you're shooting down hill, i don't think the windows are tall enough for a standing 6' person to shoot out of. 

I did shot the blind this year, first day, first deer to come in.   :bash:  one of the crossing X bars was JUST in the way, I guess.  :dunno: :bash:  deer was dumb enough to come back after the kerfuffle, but I miffed the second shot, too.  got rattled after hitting the blind and was paying more attention to the rod than the deer.   :rolleyes:

Most chairs suitable for a long day in the blind will be fairly heavy, especially if you're also packing the blind, your pack, your bow... for public land, don't over look creating a natural blind with available materials.  I shot my first archery deer sitting on a lightweight stool in a brush pile over a trail.  I'd pick the spot carefully with good cover in front, AND a backdrop of brush or trees so you're less likely to get silhouetted. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal