collapse
Double U Hunting Supply Bearpaw Outfitters, Quality Hunts for over 30 Years

Author Topic: A couple of bear questions for Bear Hunt of August-September 2017  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Eric M

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: A couple of bear questions for Bear Hunt of August-September 2017
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 07:48:52 PM »
Do some research on the rotomolded coolers, they are nice, but you can get the same or better performance out of a cooler that's 1/3 the cost.

igloo and Coleman make coolers that are higher end, but not rotomolded. Could pick up 2-4 of them for the price of a smaller yeti. They are easier to move when loaded, take up less space, and aren't such a target for theives
The thieving part worried me. I'll check out the igloo/Coleman. Thanks. Do you ice the hide also?

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »
Haven't shot a bear yet, but I fully intend to, as my first bear will get some sort of mount. Gotta get it cooled asap to prevent hair slipping.

Offline Eric M

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 07:56:05 PM »
Haven't shot a bear yet, but I fully intend to, as my first bear will get some sort of mount. Gotta get it cooled asap to prevent hair slipping.
Well I appreciate the advice. If I get one I'll probably get the hide tanned and get the skull done.

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 07:59:14 PM »
Yeah, I'll do a rug if it's the right bear, or a 1/2 mount if it won't be a good rug.
Best of luck!

Offline Eric M

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 08:03:34 PM »
Yeah, I'll do a rug if it's the right bear, or a 1/2 mount if it won't be a good rug.
Best of luck!
Thanks same to you. I'll post an update here and there.

Offline Ridge Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 06:13:30 PM »
Typically most people that hunt with pack goats take the goats along with them on the hunt. The goats can actually increase your odds as they look and sound similar to other animals in the woods, at least more so than us humans:) If you are going to leave them in camp I would either leave them with someone close by or have a decent portable hot fence.

For the bear hunting, if you have found sign, are away from highly traveled areas, there is a good food source, and you have a good vantage point, I would not have a problem staying in the same location for a few days, if there are other good vantage points close by I would try a few over your trip.
Thanks for the tips. I'm still not 100% sure I will have the goats available, especially if I go in September, which is when my friends who own goats are all in the backcountry archery hunting. Do you have any thoughts on my posting about meat care on this thread?

I would avoid using the plastic bags around the meat,you want that meet to breath, cool,  but stay dray at the same time. I think the comments by others about wrapping ice, using dry ice, or frozen jugs would be the way to go. Depending on what direction you go I would leave the drain plug open the entire time the meat is in the cooler if there is potential for liquid to build in the cooler from melting. Try to arrange the meat in the cooler so that you can get as much air around the meat as possible, even under it if possible.

Offline Eric M

• Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 06:22:47 PM »
Typically most people that hunt with pack goats take the goats along with them on the hunt. The goats can actually increase your odds as they look and sound similar to other animals in the woods, at least more so than us humans:) If you are going to leave them in camp I would either leave them with someone close by or have a decent portable hot fence.

For the bear hunting, if you have found sign, are away from highly traveled areas, there is a good food source, and you have a good vantage point, I would not have a problem staying in the same location for a few days, if there are other good vantage points close by I would try a few over your trip.
Thanks for the tips. I'm still not 100% sure I will have the goats available, especially if I go in September, which is when my friends who own goats are all in the backcountry archery hunting. Do you have any thoughts on my posting about meat care on this thread?

I would avoid using the plastic bags around the meat,you want that meet to breath, cool,  but stay dray at the same time. I think the comments by others about wrapping ice, using dry ice, or frozen jugs would be the way to go. Depending on what direction you go I would leave the drain plug open the entire time the meat is in the cooler if there is potential for liquid to build in the cooler from melting. Try to arrange the meat in the cooler so that you can get as much air around the meat as possible, even under it if possible.
Thanks for the help!

Offline fish vacuum

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 09:27:58 PM »
Use gallon jugs for ice. I put some upside down Tupperware containers in the bottom of the cooler and leave the drain plug open. The Tupperware let's any water or blood drain down but keeps the meat off the bottom.

Offline Eric M

• Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 09:49:16 PM »
Use gallon jugs for ice. I put some upside down Tupperware containers in the bottom of the cooler and leave the drain plug open. The Tupperware let's any water or blood drain down but keeps the meat off the bottom.
Thanks!

Offline garrett89

• Scout
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2017, 06:47:12 PM »
For a pack animal, your best bet is a mule. They handle their own.

Offline Eric M

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2017, 06:52:43 PM »
For a pack animal, your best bet is a mule. They handle their own.
Thanks. The goats belong to a friend and he said I could use them if he wasn't. I think our hunting times are going to conflict so where I've decided to hunt I'm probably not going to use or need any animals.