collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A couple of bear questions for Bear Hunt of August-September 2017  (Read 21357 times)

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: A couple of bear questions for Bear Hunt of August-September 2017
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 07:05:47 PM »
I don't like using plastic bags. I think it holds the heat in.
Si when I ice the meat maybe I'll use blocks and wrap those a couple times

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 07:11:06 PM »
My experience has been very straightforward. Find lots off berries with lots of poop. Hunt there, kill bears. It is easy to recognize when you are in the right spot. This applies whether you are at 300' hunting in black berries or 6000' in huckleberries.

Offline Ridge Hunter

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 07:15:07 PM »
Typically most people that hunt with pack goats take the goats along with them on the hunt. The goats can actually increase your odds as they look and sound similar to other animals in the woods, at least more so than us humans:) If you are going to leave them in camp I would either leave them with someone close by or have a decent portable hot fence.

For the bear hunting, if you have found sign, are away from highly traveled areas, there is a good food source, and you have a good vantage point, I would not have a problem staying in the same location for a few days, if there are other good vantage points close by I would try a few over your trip.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 07:21:02 PM »
Typically most people that hunt with pack goats take the goats along with them on the hunt. The goats can actually increase your odds as they look and sound similar to other animals in the woods, at least more so than us humans:) If you are going to leave them in camp I would either leave them with someone close by or have a decent portable hot fence.

For the bear hunting, if you have found sign, are away from highly traveled areas, there is a good food source, and you have a good vantage point, I would not have a problem staying in the same location for a few days, if there are other good vantage points close by I would try a few over your trip.
Thanks for the tips. I'm still not 100% sure I will have the goats available, especially if I go in September, which is when my friends who own goats are all in the backcountry archery hunting. Do you have any thoughts on my posting about meat care on this thread?

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 07:22:03 PM »
My experience has been very straightforward. Find lots off berries with lots of poop. Hunt there, kill bears. It is easy to recognize when you are in the right spot. This applies whether you are at 300' hunting in black berries or 6000' in huckleberries.
Thanks! Any thoughts on my posting about meat care on this thread?

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 07:25:18 PM »

Dry ice can be a lifesaver, as well as gallon jugs full of frozen water. During hot hunts I have 1 150qt cooler with frozen milk jugs, dry ice lined on the bottom, and regular bags of ice on top of it all. It doesn't get opened until I'm refiling my food cooler with ice or I'm putting an animal in it.
I run a 150qt, 120qt, and about a 30 at. The 150 is my ice only/animal hauler.in a pinch the 120 holds animals as well, and all food goes into the small one.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »

Honestly, I have had the best luck getting the meat off, fat off, and bear meat frozen immediately. I haven't shot one in a situation I couldn't get that done by the next morning at the latest. Getting the fat off and meat frozen has provided better results for me.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 07:34:02 PM »

Dry ice can be a lifesaver, as well as gallon jugs full of frozen water. During hot hunts I have 1 150qt cooler with frozen milk jugs, dry ice lined on the bottom, and regular bags of ice on top of it all. It doesn't get opened until I'm refiling my food cooler with ice or I'm putting an animal in it.
I run a 150qt, 120qt, and about a 30 at. The 150 is my ice only/animal hauler.in a pinch the 120 holds animals as well, and all food goes into the small one.
I was looking at some bigger coolers. I'd like to buy at least one nice one that will keep ice for awhile. (Maybe a Yeti if I can afford one?) Does dry ice keep the same amount of time as regular ice? I was thinking the gallon jug idea just not sure it'll keep. My tentative plan is two weeks off M-F hunting.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 07:37:28 PM »

Honestly, I have had the best luck getting the meat off, fat off, and bear meat frozen immediately. I haven't shot one in a situation I couldn't get that done by the next morning at the latest. Getting the fat off and meat frozen has provided better results for me.
Do you debone it as well? If you freeze it right away do you age it in the fridge when you pull  some out? Do you let it go through Rigor Mortis before freezing?

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 07:43:03 PM »
Do some research on the rotomolded coolers, they are nice, but you can get the same or better performance out of a cooler that's 1/3 the cost.

igloo and Coleman make coolers that are higher end, but not rotomolded. Could pick up 2-4 of them for the price of a smaller yeti. They are easier to move when loaded, take up less space, and aren't such a target for theives

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 07:48:52 PM »
Do some research on the rotomolded coolers, they are nice, but you can get the same or better performance out of a cooler that's 1/3 the cost.

igloo and Coleman make coolers that are higher end, but not rotomolded. Could pick up 2-4 of them for the price of a smaller yeti. They are easier to move when loaded, take up less space, and aren't such a target for theives
The thieving part worried me. I'll check out the igloo/Coleman. Thanks. Do you ice the hide also?

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »
Haven't shot a bear yet, but I fully intend to, as my first bear will get some sort of mount. Gotta get it cooled asap to prevent hair slipping.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 07:56:05 PM »
Haven't shot a bear yet, but I fully intend to, as my first bear will get some sort of mount. Gotta get it cooled asap to prevent hair slipping.
Well I appreciate the advice. If I get one I'll probably get the hide tanned and get the skull done.

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 07:59:14 PM »
Yeah, I'll do a rug if it's the right bear, or a 1/2 mount if it won't be a good rug.
Best of luck!

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 08:03:34 PM »
Yeah, I'll do a rug if it's the right bear, or a 1/2 mount if it won't be a good rug.
Best of luck!
Thanks same to you. I'll post an update here and there.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by BigVinn
[Today at 10:21:19 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]