collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blsum's 2016/17 trap line  (Read 8222 times)

Offline Blsum

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Blsum's 2016/17 trap line
« on: December 11, 2016, 06:55:01 PM »
Well I finally got a few cat sets in. Started putting them in this last Tuesday. With only a small amount of time to do anything after work I was not able to put them all in at once. I set one behind the shop at work. The same place I caught my first cat last year. I set another one in a spot I've gotten a cat on camera the last two years now. And a third set where I found some fresh cat tracks. Pretty sure they might be cougar tracks but it looks like a really good cat area so I figured I would set it anyways. We will see what the trail cam or trap tells me.

That is all I was able to get set after work this week. Yesterday I was able to set up two prebaits with cameras. I will give them a week and see what shows up. While we still had some snow I was able to find where the cat I've had on camera for two seasons had been working some roads. Well I was going to put my last three traps in the area. Only problem is one of them was having issues so I was only able to get two more sets in. With Christmas plans and a few other things coming up I will only be able to run this line for a short while. Once we get into the new year I will be able to spread out a bit. I have at least two other cats on camera from earlier this year that I would like to go after.
It's not the size of the trophy that make's it a trophy.

You may just be one person in this world. But you may be the world to just one person.

Online JakeLand

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Blsum's 2016/17 trap line
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 06:59:38 PM »
 :tup: I'm just pre baiting still for cats holding out until the 1st of January   :bash:

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 07:07:06 PM »
Tagging along. Good luck this year bud
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Blsum

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 07:08:27 PM »
:tup: I'm just pre baiting still for cats holding out until the 1st of January   :bash:

I had a bunch of baits that were left over from last year. And only a few larger pieces to use for prebait. I'm planning on running through all the stuff in the freezer before I go after any fresh bait.

You may just be one person in this world. But you may be the world to just one person.

Offline Blsum

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 07:24:38 PM »
Quick update. Been having issues with traps not going off because of different reasons. One still had the safety on.  :bash:  Another for what ever reason was triggered but didn't allow the rod that holds the door open to move out of the way.  :bash: Another the dirt had froze solid holding the door open.  :bash: and last but not least the door has been closed two days in a row now but nothing is in the trap. Think possibly a skunk may be getting out of the skunk exit hole. Thinking about shutting things down after tomorrow. At least till after the new year.

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 08:08:42 PM »
 :sry: that suck. Set small traps for the skunk. I WOULD FUR'S FUR
GOOD LUCK
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

Online JakeLand

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 08:12:30 PM »
Do you have pan triggers? If so it's probably a skunk setting it off .put a small trap right next to the cat cage and put a real small piece of bait right at the door and you'll probably get him in the " skunk" trap
There's over 3' of snow where I trap and the cats and a few fox have been tearing up a few pre bait ares good so I'm going to set a few out tomorrow hopefully get some fox

Online Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 08:43:54 PM »
Jake,
If you catch a fox the Department is really interested in getting some DNA. Just a bit f fur in an envelope. Easy to do.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Blsum

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 08:44:45 PM »
Do you have pan triggers? If so it's probably a skunk setting it off .put a small trap right next to the cat cage and put a real small piece of bait right at the door and you'll probably get him in the " skunk" trap
There's over 3' of snow where I trap and the cats and a few fox have been tearing up a few pre bait ares good so I'm going to set a few out tomorrow hopefully get some fox

All of my traps are conibear triggers. I think the one was a rust issue or possibly frozen. The safety was just me being in to much of a hurry and forgetting to double check  :bash: the last one was the dirt and other material I used to bed the trap freezing solid and not allowing the door to close. All my doors close from the side so in order to bed them like I want to I end up with some bedding on the bottom edge of the door. I'm tossing around some ideas for a redesign just not sure if it will work as a dual purpose swim through/land trap.

Online JakeLand

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 08:53:54 PM »
 Bruce- I'm hoping to have better luck this year with the fox considering they wouldn't go into my cages last year, they would just dig it up but if I catch some I would give them whatever they would need or want
  As to the doors freezing try dipping the bottom in wax and or order some anti freeze from F/T and try that

Online Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »
What I do to keep the doors from getting froze open is I set the trap up on a small chunk of wood like a slat to keep it out of contact with the ground and then use some leaves sparingly scattered for covering. The leaves especially if they are a bit dry break up when the door springs. Dirt is about the worst for freezing so I try to avoid that.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 12:08:06 PM »
Anyone try pete or coco fiber
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline Kit Carson

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, WSTA, NTA
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 01:08:06 PM »
Good luck this year man! Still remember last year's story; catching that Cat behind ur work on the LAST day  :chuckle:

Offline Blsum

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 08:51:51 AM »
Well this last saturday I shut all the door to my traps beca use I wasn't going to be able to check them in the required amount of time and didn't have the room or time to pull everything out that day. Well I went back out Monday aftenoon to pull all the traps out till I can get my rig fixed and till after the holidays. Well I get to the last trap and as I'm walking up to it I hear something that sounds like it's in the trap  :dunno: hmm. Well I move all the brush to find that a Stellar Jay had figured out how to get in through the skunk escape hatch. Only problem is he couldn't figure out how to get back out. First time I've ever caught a bird. Let alone in a trap that wasn't even set. I took a picture of him but it didn't turn out and I released him unharmed before I realized my picture wasn't very good. I will updated everyone again once I get things up and rolling again.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 12:47:24 PM »
Good luck with the truck. Just went through the same thing

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU