collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swans shot at Mcnary  (Read 8278 times)

Offline JODakota

• BIGtuna
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Swans shot at Mcnary
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2016, 06:50:03 PM »
They did mess up, but I do feel the state should issue a lottery on tundras. They aren't endangered and plenty of states allow harvest. I'm not condoning in any way,  I do, however, feel there should be a season on them. Good work WDFW

If we have people that shoot snows the day before and can't tell the difference in them and a swan the very next day, it sure doesn't make a good case for the rest of us that can identify the different swans.

I think the "I thought they were snows" is kinda like a drunk saying "he only had a couple".  Both come off pretty lame in front of a LEO.  It's not believable at shotgun range that a swan is honestly mistaken for a snow goose.

Yeah, the "I think they were snows" sound like a tall tale.
Not for self, but for country

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 09:18:21 AM »
Just getting harder to think about spending the money and time to hunt next to the people with poor ethics.  Not hard to believe but they where not the lucky ones to have the swans fly into range.
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 09:29:38 AM »
I hope they roasted them. Those taste great!  :) The flavor is a little like a cross between bald eagle and peregrine falcon!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:43:33 AM by pianoman9701 »
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »
I follow the regs,That being said i dont think this has anything to do with ethics.these should be on the menu.  :twocents:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 09:42:19 AM »
It is an ethical question. So should Sandhill cranes, but they aren't yet. So, you don't kill them. Part of being an ethical hunter is making sure of your target. Another part is not trying to hide the evidence when you fail at that. Whether or not there are plenty of them doesn't change how we handle ourselves in the field.  :twocents:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline npaull

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 09:42:57 AM »
They did mess up, but I do feel the state should issue a lottery on tundras. They aren't endangered and plenty of states allow harvest.

Agreed. The state could offer a lottery for a few dollars and make a ton of money for say 100 permits or whatever. I could shoot one almost every time I hunt the Skagit delta...

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »
They did mess up, but I do feel the state should issue a lottery on tundras. They aren't endangered and plenty of states allow harvest.

Agreed. The state could offer a lottery for a few dollars and make a ton of money for say 100 permits or whatever. I could shoot one almost every time I hunt the Skagit delta...
I think the main problem with swans is similar to the problem with not having separate limits for mergansers. This is a Pacific flyaway issue and there is no way  that California would allow a change. Swans are big beautiful knowledge birds. So if we can't get a change on esa fish eating ducks there is no chance to shoot swans.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 10:11:58 AM »
It is an ethical question. So should Sandhill cranes, but they aren't yet. So, you don't kill them. Part of being an ethical hunter is making sure of your target. Another part is not trying to hide the evidence when you fail at that. Whether or not there are plenty of them doesn't change how we handle ourselves in the field.  :twocents:
I guess if you look at it this way.The lying would make it unethical.If they werent illegal to shoot simply because there pretty is what i meant.  :tup:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 10:13:38 AM »
Understood.  :tup:

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2016, 01:53:05 PM »
I hope they roasted them. Those taste great!  :) The flavor is a little like a cross between bald eagle and peregrine falcon!
Swan is absolutely delicious.  I have no idea what eagle or falcon tastes like, I'd guess a lot like any other fish eater.  :)

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 03:16:24 PM »
 :chuckle:

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 06:12:18 PM »
I saw two cygnets by themselves on Wells Reservoir yesterday.  Quite likely the adults and possibly other brood mates got whacked.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]