collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Prime Rib  (Read 14466 times)

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
Prime Rib
« on: December 16, 2016, 08:27:20 PM »
Picked up a Prime Rib for Christmas and have questions.
Never bought one let alone cooked one
1st Can I freeze it until Wednesday ?
2nd Planning on smoking it in the Traeger what temp should I cook it on , how long , what internal temp am I looking for ?
Thanks Allen
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
Re: Prime Rib
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 08:34:45 PM »
Is just keep it in fridge wrapped and it will be fine.  Freezing would be harder to get back on by the weekend. 

With the smoker I'd use 225 until it hits 130 and then rest to 140 (medium rare).  I'd season it well and sear it on all sides before I smoked it and I'd only have smoke for 2ish hours.  Jack the temp at the end to get a crust.  Avoid any humidity if you want to control cooking.

I'm gonna sous vide mine for 24 hours at 131 and then a 500 degree oven with a crust of whipped egg white and pepper and fresh chopped rosemary. 

Merry Christmas and I'm sure it will be good eats at your place. 

Offline haugenna

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 08:35:39 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5o36iLRYyM8

Make sure you get the prime rib to room temp before you put it on the grill.

I am not sure about freezing it.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 08:50:37 PM »
Is it fresh or aged?  Usually the aged meat keeps longer since moisture is removed.  If fresh and you don't want to freeze it, you can dry age it at home, takes about a week to a week and a half.

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 08:55:14 PM »
Is it fresh or aged?  Usually the aged meat keeps longer since moisture is removed.  If fresh and you don't want to freeze it, you can dry age it at home, takes about a week to a week and a half.
Not sure on the fresh vs aged , Wife picked it up today at Costco. It's got a Sell by date of the 19th so that's why was thinking throw it in the freezer for a couple days. For the price of these things don't want it going bad  before Christmas.
 How would I dry age it ?
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 09:02:30 PM »
No need to freeze.  I would take it out of the wrapper and let it dry in the fridge for a couple days before cooking as it concentrates the flavors.  If you like it rare in the middle, cook no more than 125 in the middle, I do mine until 120.  Let rest, covered for 15-20 minutes, covered in foil and a heavy towel.  I'm doing mine in the smoker for the first time, I usually have done in on the grill or oven.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 09:06:09 PM »
Not sure on the fresh vs aged , Wife picked it up today at Costco. It's got a Sell by date of the 19th so that's why was thinking throw it in the freezer for a couple days. For the price of these things don't want it going bad  before Christmas.
 How would I dry age it ?
You would cover it with something like cheesecloth and let it air dry in the fridge.  You have to swap the cloth every day or two.  One drawback to doing something like this is the moisture content drops, so the prime rib gets smaller over time.  So if you wanted to feed a big group, there would be less (less because it is more concentrated).  Your fridge will also get that good butcher shop smell.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 09:06:56 PM »
Id follow costco instructions but put finish on grill after crusting it in the oven first 30 mins at 450 if I remember right ?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 09:27:49 PM »
Is just keep it in fridge wrapped and it will be fine.  Freezing would be harder to get back on by the weekend. 

With the smoker I'd use 225 until it hits 130 and then rest to 140 (medium rare).  I'd season it well and sear it on all sides before I smoked it and I'd only have smoke for 2ish hours.  Jack the temp at the end to get a crust.  Avoid any humidity if you want to control cooking.

I'm gonna sous vide mine for 24 hours at 131 and then a 500 degree oven with a crust of whipped egg white and pepper and fresh chopped rosemary. 

I think I just gained 5 pounds reading that.   Oh my gosh drool. I could taste it from here.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 09:35:10 PM »
 :yeah: heck yeah I hope after that we at least get to see a pic of the finished product  :drool:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline nailbender

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 10:46:59 PM »
If you've never smoked one...... well, your missing out. Just keep in fridge til you cook. Bring out of fridge and let it warm to room temp till you cook. also, make sure your let it rest after you take it out. it will climb about 5 deg. after.   :twocents:

Offline black hog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2016, 04:28:02 AM »
If you're worried about it going bad you can also season it and leave it in the fridge the salt in your seasoning will easily give you a couple more days when I do mine on my pellet grills I smoke for an hour then turn the grill up to about 400 cook it hot till it reaches 135 let it rest for an hour good to go

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2016, 06:36:52 AM »

Whitpirate,
Do you have a dedicated sous vide unit, or one of the portables that uses your own container?
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline Rick

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2016, 09:49:37 AM »

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 06:19:19 PM »
So my oven is broke and the replacement won't be here until after the 1st. So will be cooking my Christmas prime rib on the gas grill. Any tips for me to make a great prime rib for Christmas?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal