collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Questions from a new hunter.  (Read 6722 times)

Offline Spearo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Questions from a new hunter.
« on: December 19, 2016, 12:20:05 AM »
Hello!

Me and a good life-long friend of mine have decided to invest in some .22 rifles and hunting licenses this winter break while we are both back from college. I have been doing a lot of research into the subject of where we can and cannot hunt and I have been thouroughly confused. We intend to hunt squirrels in the Olympic National Forest, but this is where my questions arises. If we have he proper licensing is it legal to hunt in the forest or wilderness land? I know hunting is not allowed the in adjoining Olympic National Park (from what I have seen) but I have had a very hard time getting a straight answer on the ONP's website or from WDFW about whether or not hunting the National Park is or is not permitted. I am going to call the area-management office for the specific area we are looking to hunt in (near the Buckhorn wilderness and Brinnon Washington) but if someone here could tell me if I am totally off base before I fall in tommorow morning  that would be super helpful, and any additional information you think would be pertinent would also be much appreciated. We are basically planning to drive down some logging roads in the forest until we find an area to park were we can then dismount and hike into the woods a few hundered yards. We both are very experienced hikers and will have all the necessary equipment and know how not to get lost as long as we stay safe.

I am very excited for this trip, and am seriously looking forward to getting in some quality time outdoors. Any and all help/advice is welcome, and I look forward to hearing what you all have to say!

Thanks in advance, and merry Christmas!

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: Questions from a new hunter.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 07:10:35 AM »
You should start with what animals are legal to hunt.  For the most part, squirrels are not legal.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 07:47:53 AM »
Back from college.. 

Have you both passed hunters ed?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 08:16:52 AM »
No hunting in the Olympic National Park and as was already mentioned, squirrels are not legal to hunt in this state. Other than the non-native grey squirrels that are found mostly in city parks.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 08:47:23 AM »
About the only legal animal to hunt with a .22 rimfire this time of year is grouse and rabbits. You will find grouse out there, this time of year mainly down lower in the river and creek bottoms, rabbits out there are hit and miss unless you can find a farmer willing to let you walk his fields.

You can hunt the National Forest, not the National Park. Make sure you know where you are.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Spearo

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »
My friend is very well versed in identifying small game species, and I am aware only non-native squirrels are available to be taken right now. The trip is mostly just aimed at going and getting some fun shooting in, and hopefully taking some small game if possible.

I can assure everyone I have and am taking all the necessary measures to make sure I am not breaking the law in any way, which is why I made this post in the first place :)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 11:02:20 AM »
Perfect, have fun and stay safe!
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 11:04:42 AM »
Well, in your post you said you were going to hunt in the Olympic National Forest for squirrels. I don't believe you will find any squirrels in that area that are legal to hunt. Grouse and rabbits, yes. So that's what I would be looking for if I were you.

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 12:49:41 PM »
Here's some additional information on squirrels in Washington: http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/gray_squirrel/
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Lefthook

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 01:20:34 PM »
Making a positive ID on a little squirrel playing hide and seek around a tree 10' to 15' up could be very hard at best. I think I would go grouse hunting and take some fun targets to shoot if you don't run into any grouse. Pack out whatever you pack in.

Offline Spearo

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 02:17:55 PM »
Well, in your post you said you were going to hunt in the Olympic National Forest for squirrels. I don't believe you will find any squirrels in that area that are legal to hunt. Grouse and rabbits, yes. So that's what I would be looking for if I were you.

Awesome, Where do you think I would have the best shot at seeing rabbit? Would they be up in the forest along the logging roads? I will look into getting a grouse license but they seem pretty spendy, but do you think I would have a better chance of seeing grouse than anything else (rabbits, squirrels etc.)?

Offline Spearo

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 02:19:04 PM »
Making a positive ID on a little squirrel playing hide and seek around a tree 10' to 15' up could be very hard at best. I think I would go grouse hunting and take some fun targets to shoot if you don't run into any grouse. Pack out whatever you pack in.

Do I have a pretty good chance of seeing grouse this late in the season along logging roads?

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 02:23:48 PM »
You don't need a separate license for grouse, just your small game license. :)

Don't forget that grouse is only open through December 31st. 

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 02:32:04 PM »

Awesome, Where do you think I would have the best shot at seeing rabbit? Would they be up in the forest along the logging roads? I will look into getting a grouse license but they seem pretty spendy, but do you think I would have a better chance of seeing grouse than anything else (rabbits, squirrels etc.)?

It's been a banner year for Snowshoe Hare.  Yes, you find them along forest service and logging roads usually 2,000 ft and higher elevation.  They are in their white phase now and a bit harder to see now in the snow. 

Offline Dead-Eye

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 03:24:37 PM »
It's been a banner year for Snowshoe Hare.  Yes, you find them along forest service and logging roads usually 2,000 ft and higher elevation.  They are in their white phase now and a bit harder to see now in the snow.

I like the challenge of spotting a white rabbit in the snow. A bit of movement over that way, but then you have to figure out exactly where it is, so you zoom in on that spot.  That's pure fun! 

Offline Lefthook

• Hunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 03:45:41 PM »
Yes it was a while ago, but this was a day out grouse hunting with a .22 and a small game license. Limited out on grouse by the way.

Offline Spearo

• Pilgrim
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »

I'm planning on going to a spot near a ribbon Washington which is on the coast. There's logging roads which shoot up into the mountains about 3000 feet, would that be high enough?

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 12:22:42 PM »
Yes, that's plenty high.

Offline Screwtape5981

• Pilgrim
    • 622 2nd Ave S
  • Groups: Dav
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2016, 10:13:44 PM »
Good luck,I do happen to know someone near Evergreen state College in a legal area to hunt that has legal squirrel.Shoot me a pm......I live an hour north of olympia.I also will be hunting grouse about 1.5 north of olympia this week in an area with rabbit and possible some legal squirrel.shoot me a PM.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]