collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Can of worms, Lightweight Spotting Scope Tripods and heads  (Read 5953 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Re: Can of worms, Lightweight Spotting Scope Tripods and heads
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 11:25:23 AM »
I haven't established a budget for this yet, as I literally know nothing about them. I know I can spend about as much as I want to, but there has to be a happy medium somewhere.

I know me well enough to know that I absolutely will not head into the hills with something that is going to slow me down, either by weight or size. So a full size tripod that I have to carry in hand is out of the question. However, I have been in situations where I know I would need a tripod that can reach at least almost full height in order to use it effectively due to terrain/brush, etc... I know there are more expensive versions that can collapse down small enough to sit and use and expand out for standing use. I just don't know which ones are worth the money they want for them.

Keep the thoughts and suggestions coming, I'm logging names into the memory bank.

Outdoorsman products are what it impresses me that you are looking for.  I don't own them personally, but friends have gone through an assortment getting to where they needed to be and I have been the beneficiary of a lot of dithering about trying to save a few bucks and not getting what they should have in the first place. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:41:22 AM by JDHasty »

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 11:31:10 AM »
I haven't established a budget for this yet, as I literally know nothing about them. I know I can spend about as much as I want to, but there has to be a happy medium somewhere.

I know me well enough to know that I absolutely will not head into the hills with something that is going to slow me down, either by weight or size. So a full size tripod that I have to carry in hand is out of the question. However, I have been in situations where I know I would need a tripod that can reach at least almost full height in order to use it effectively due to terrain/brush, etc... I know there are more expensive versions that can collapse down small enough to sit and use and expand out for standing use. I just don't know which ones are worth the money they want for them.

Keep the thoughts and suggestions coming, I'm logging names into the memory bank.

I choose to carry mine that way in the pic because it makes it quick to get on critters. It does fit into the small pack on my back if I take the head off of it and pack them both.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 11:37:06 AM »
Here's a pic of my tripod fits in side pocket of backpack and extends up to standing. I'm 6ft
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 11:44:48 AM »

I choose to carry mine that way in the pic because it makes it quick to get on critters. It does fit into the small pack on my back if I take the head off of it and pack them both.

I suppose if I was in a spot where I knew I was only glassing and the chance of running into an animal was low, I would probably do the same. I've just had enough missed opportunities where if I had not been carrying something I'd have gotten a shot.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »
Here's a pic of my tripod fits in side pocket of backpack and extends up to standing. I'm 6ft

I'm a shorty, at 5' 9" so that would work fine. What is the normal going rate for a tripod/head like yours?
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »
Another pic

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 11:59:03 AM »
I think the head was about $80 at cabelas and I got lucky on tripod at packwood swap meet paid $50.
Do some searching and you can find some pretty good deals on what you're looking for

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 12:01:34 PM »
To me that's half the fun researching and finding

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »
They certainly won't be cheap but Nightforce has a new Carbon Fiber tripod they will be releasing after the first of the year that is capable of a lot more than your basic tripod.  No idea what you're looking for but here's a link to it. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/12/05/nightforce-2016-carbon-fiber-tripod/

Offline Will B

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 12:58:06 PM »
Went sheep hunting earlier this year using a full-size Swarovski spotting scope (20-60x80 STM HD) and a couple of different full-size tripods.

One was a manfrotto mtpro4 with the RC128 pan head - weighs almost 7 pounds. Super stable, even in 35 mile an hour winds, and effortless panning. Painless to set up and take down quickly.

The other was a vortex summit carbon with a vortex pan head - weighs about half that, a little over 3 pounds. Less stable in wind, slower to take up and take down, noticeably less smooth panning.

Both are inexpensive, both worked reasonably well. If I was pre-season scouting, or walking a mile or so to glass, and planning to glass for a long time, I'd prefer the manfrotto. Big hike, long distance, I'd want the vortex or another lightweight tripod.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »
SLIK Compact II and Manfrotto 496RC2 head weighs 2# total.  Heavier than I want but works fine.  Raises to about 40 inches.   Can't imagine packing more weight than that for a tripod.  Use it with Swaro 65mm Wide Angle

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2016, 06:10:05 PM »
+1 for the outdoorsmans.  I run a medium with their panhead. 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Mossyoak

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 09:28:28 AM »
+1 for outdoorsmans. I am thankful BLRman gave me the advice. You will not be disappointed.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]