collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Caging Coyotes  (Read 11587 times)

Offline kirkdekalb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NTA, FTA,GTA,TFH
Re: Caging Coyotes
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 08:07:02 PM »
I hear of guys building and testing traps but never see them to know how the trap is designed and how the trigger and doors work.

Just expensive to build the larger traps.

Plan to build a new model when I get a chance. 48 inches long, 20 inches wide, and 26" tall. Been wanting to make it before I forget it in my mind. A double doored  trap that can be set with both doors up or one door down.

Offline Bigbadwolfwdc

• Tracker
  • Groups: WSTA, NWCOA
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 08:10:10 PM »
Ive found double trigger system works well. A grab and pull along with a large pan that takes up the bottom of trap.

Offline kirkdekalb

• Tracker
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 08:15:17 PM »
That is what I have had for years on some models I have made.

Offline Bigbadwolfwdc

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 11:55:51 AM »
How did the models work for you? Also I have started to fine some tricks that seem to help with catching yotes.

Offline kirkdekalb

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 02:59:27 PM »
Chris Sims said he has had luck with a very large trap where the coyote has to pull a carcus tied to a pull pin on the door. He showed me pictures of two he caught at the same time.

It seems the more open the better, but not always. The guy that caught the first one in a trap I made for them said it took almost a week before he went in. It was a gravity door model. They do seem to work the outside for a day or two with lure and bait before they go in. He was using fresh chicken. He told me he had caught a lot in cages.

They don,t like to stick there head in very far at first. Cameras seem to run them off. I have had several tell me they were not catching  coyotes. I told them to remove the camera and move the trap. They then caught within 10 days.

The one that catches the most has over a dozen traps and leaves them out all winter. An employee told me he set two traps last summer and caught 3 coyotes in two weeks.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 05:39:20 AM »
I just picked up one of Kirks #30 coyote/bobcat traps on the used market... That cage ROCKS!  Really solid platform, fast doors and an open appearance.  Really like the looks of that cage.  Wish Advanced Trap was closer. 

Offline kirkdekalb

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »
How did the models work for you? Also I have started to fine some tricks that seem to help with catching yotes

What advice would you give hunting fool on how best to set his trap for coyotes and other animals? Thanks

I no longer make or sell that trap. It is a double doored side door trap.

Offline Bigbadwolfwdc

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2017, 06:38:34 PM »
Place the trap on signs, this is one the key principles of trapping but people have a tendency to over think it when it comes to cage traps.  I like to use a cover scent on the cage trap as well (Not Lure), this helps the coyote feel more relaxed. Its not to cover up your scent, the coyote will know that you where there regardless. Keep in mind that the coyote knows the trap is not natural all the scent does is help it smell less like metal.

I would recommend working on the animals aggression and hunger. Coyotes will kill fox on site fox gland lure, fox urine and fox decoy will help anger the yote into jumping into the cage to attack. Food is another good way but from my experience the coyote will try to dig all around the trap before entering. A pull trigger added helps a lot. The yote will stick as little as himself in and try to pull the bait out. I like large dog traps with compressed doors .

The compressed door in my opinion works better than the guillotine door for K9s. Guillotine doors work great for cats because cats will jump forward most of the time when scared. K9s on the other hand will push back as far as possible. The compressed door will slap the coyote on the butt pushing him the other way. Stronger springs can be added to the door gain greater force on the door.
Securing the trap to the ground with tent stakes helps stabilize the trap as much as possible. Also make sure enough dirt is placed inside the trap so the animal cannot feel the metal mesh under its feet.  I would also recommending covering the trap as much as possible. If the trap must be placed in open area with signs. Bring some plywood that you spray down with cover scent and place on top of trap. This way dirt leaves and other things can be placed on top. 

Non target catches are going to happen that’s part of trapping. Some time you have catch the non targets before you have a chance at what you are after. This is true for cage trapping just like body grip trapping.

I have several methods that Im finding work ok in trapping coyotes. Im not going to talk about to much at the moment. As for cage trapping coyotes this would be a good start without being overly complicated. 

Offline kirkdekalb

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2017, 06:01:22 AM »
As for cage trapping coyotes this would be a good start without being overly complicated. 

Very good post.

I thoroughly agree with most but not all of your post.  I believe the way the trap is designed and bait-lure is presented has much bearing as to how much the cage needs to be covered. The trapper that has the most of a particular trap I know of and has caught numerous coyotes, does not cover the trap with debris. The trap has a guillotine door. The exception is the trap is a live bait designed trap.

I quit trying to make large traps for coyote with swing down doors after I made several. It was easier to get the animals to go in a guillotine door trap because I was able to make the trap shorter and appear more open. The guillotine doors closed faster. I found that by changing design and powering the door further down, the animal was forced in due to the continued pressure on the door. Making a shorter more open trap was now easier and more effective. I really didn,t realize to the extent I now have until last winter.

From feed back a pee post in the trap set as a side door along with gland lure and bait placed according to the way the trigger is to be used seems to be best. Gland lure seems to be most important.

I also found from feed back and experience a cover scent sprayed as you described helps. I learned that elk hunting, when a hunter in my party sprayed himself down with two bottles of cow urine. After the bull was coming he coated himself. He couldn't  hit the broad side of a barn because he was so nervous. The bull kept coming back and almost ran him over when he ran out of arrows. The bull was down wind.

[quote The yote will stick as little as himself in and try to pull the bait out. I like large dog traps with compressed doors .
][/quote]

That is why I have continued to design and use side door traps with extremely fast guillotine doors.  They don,t want to stick there head in more than 6 to 8" at first. That is why I have evolved over the years to address that.

Thank you so much. I hope this continues.

Offline Bigbadwolfwdc

• Tracker
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2017, 10:35:04 AM »
I agree with your designs. I purchased one of your raccoon size traps and love it. Very well built and have caught lots of critters with it. Its my belief that its not impossible cage trap yotes on a regular basis. Just not nobody has really taken time to try to perfect it. People either laugh or think your full of it, but never take time to think about it for themselves. We can cage trap just about anything now days including beaver. So why not coyote, are trappers saying the yote is to cautious and smart for them? At some point somebody will have a system that works on a regular basis. The trap is a large part of it but understanding the animal and its behavior will win the day every time. 

Offline Bigbadwolfwdc

• Tracker
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 11:20:26 AM »
Thanks for the info, Im a WCO and next time I have a coyote job Ill post if I get one. Also Im working on getting some access to a few hundred acres for trapping season.

Offline kirkdekalb

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2017, 11:51:57 AM »
Its my belief that its not impossible cage trap yotes on a regular basis. Just not nobody has really taken time to try to perfect it. People either laugh or think your full of it, but never take time to think about it for themselves. We can cage trap just about anything now days including beaver. So why not coyote, are trappers saying the yote is to cautious and smart for them? At some point somebody will have a system that works on a regular basis. The trap is a large part of it but understanding the animal and its behavior will win the day every time. 

I have just about finished the new design I talked about in my first post. After posting what I said, I decided to make it the next day. It would be best for me not to show. It is the most effective design I have ever come up with. It is just too expensive to make to be practical, unless that changes. Shipping alone, is a stopper. Building it has allowed me to see things I missed before, because I had nothing quite like it. Just another step in the process.

Thank you

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In response to the out of season post.

I caught a red fox right after season closed. I told a person living within 2 hundred yards of the trap that I had caught it and let it go. She told me there were two that had  killed almost all of her chickens. She was not happy.

Coyote can be trapped year around here.

Offline Bigbadwolfwdc

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »
If its okay with you Kirk Id like PM you later about that trap. 

Offline huntingfool7

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »
Primarily looking at something on my own property and I think Kirk's discontinued #30 may serve me well in this application.
Here's my rough take on it...

Offline huntingfool7

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2017, 06:29:34 PM »
Green diamond is the conibear style trigger location. 

The idea is that the coyotes (and other vermin) will try to access the chicken tractor/coop at night.  The birds will naturally be on the raised perch/roost along the trap wall at that time. 

The trap extension/holding area is built in and attached to the #30 Advanced Trap.  The holding pen becomes a long alley next to the roost. 
Will move the wire trigger from the back wall to the roof to open up that space.  The #30 is designed with that trigger location as an option.

It's not a mobile WCO design but I think it'd serve my purposes.

Thoughts?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter