collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Yacolt Burn Forest south of Larch Prison. Good place?  (Read 4654 times)

Offline KDfishbiologist

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Fish Biologist
Yacolt Burn Forest south of Larch Prison. Good place?
« on: August 30, 2016, 01:22:03 PM »
Hey all,

I was out doing some scouting this past weekend, trying to get to know the area. I drove around the south part of Yacolt Burn State Forest on L1000 just south of Larch prison and what looks like west of Larch Mountain Trail. Saw one deer and some evidence of deer. I saw some pull outs and gates that I might walk down to find some deer this fall. Very brushy, but maybe a good place to start for a newbie in WA?

My GMU map showed that most of it is state owned land and there were some discover pass signs, but being new to the area, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it's safe to hunt there. There were no shooting signs posted all over which I'm assuming means no target shooting. Any advice is always appreciated. Thanks!
>)))*>    >)))*>    >)))*>    >)))*>    >)))*>    >)))*>

"Not all girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice. Some girls are made of adventure, fine beer, brains, and no fear."

Offline kevinb

• Pilgrim
Re: Yacolt Burn Forest south of Larch Prison. Good place?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 03:03:42 PM »
That's pretty close to where I live. I have been out there a few times. Even saw a few elk one evening. But I am new to the area too so I'm not sure what hunting would be like.

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »
There are deer and a few elk around there. If you have a gps with gmu boundaries and ownership info would be a big plus. The no shooting signs are for a safety buffer for a few homes in the area. A lot of the area is gmu 564, which is a firearm restricted area(Bow, muzzle loader, shotgun and revolver only) so if you have a rifle you need to move further east into gmu 568.
It certainly is an area close to Vancouver that sees quite a bit of road hunters but if you find a timbered creek bottom away from the roads, you could get into a nice buck.
I spent some time in there over 20 years ago when I lived in the couve and was starting out as a young hunter.
If you park and go for a hike, make sure valuables are out of site. It's close enough to town that some lowlifes troll for easy break ins.
Where ever you go, good luck to you guys and have a happy and safe hunt!

Offline KDfishbiologist

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Fish Biologist
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:03:06 AM »
There are deer and a few elk around there. If you have a gps with gmu boundaries and ownership info would be a big plus. The no shooting signs are for a safety buffer for a few homes in the area. A lot of the area is gmu 564, which is a firearm restricted area(Bow, muzzle loader, shotgun and revolver only) so if you have a rifle you need to move further east into gmu 568.
It certainly is an area close to Vancouver that sees quite a bit of road hunters but if you find a timbered creek bottom away from the roads, you could get into a nice buck.
I spent some time in there over 20 years ago when I lived in the couve and was starting out as a young hunter.
If you park and go for a hike, make sure valuables are out of site. It's close enough to town that some lowlifes troll for easy break ins.

Thanks for the advice ELKBURGER! I did notice there was quite a bit of traffic back there -- especially guys with big trucks going a million miles an hour.

kevinb, I'm new to WA hunting, trying to get in better shape, and crossbow hunting for the first time this year. I figured I might be pretty clunky and loud as I figure things out, but if you ever want to venture out with someone, that's the area Ill be in in late October.

"Not all girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice. Some girls are made of adventure, fine beer, brains, and no fear."

Offline kevinb

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 10:54:01 AM »

It's pretty close to the 564/568 boundary, but the way I see it most of that area is in 568. Am I looking at it wrong?

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 12:26:30 PM »
Yes the boundary is in that area. It has changed a time or 2 in the past 15-20 years. I suggest having a gps with the gmu/property info to be sure. I don't want anyone getting in trouble for trespassing or having the wrong weapon in the wrong area. 564 is any deer, 568 buck only.

Offline KDfishbiologist

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Fish Biologist
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 04:46:38 PM »
@kevinb, did you have any luck bagging a buck in the Burn? I saw about five does on the four days I went out, but mostly just a lot of trucks parked at every gate.

That's pretty close to where I live. I have been out there a few times. Even saw a few elk one evening. But I am new to the area too so I'm not sure what hunting would be like.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]