collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tripod question  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
Tripod question
« on: December 29, 2016, 01:00:02 PM »
So I got a tripod for Xmas and was wondering what is avg weight of a "light weight" tripod. I've got a zomie Z-818 and says it ways 3.7 lbs. seems heavy, but also seems pretty sturdy. I'm wanting to use it for filming hunts and using it under my spotting scope (20x60x80) on some hunts. Is 3.7 lbs heavy for a "light weight" tripod? Thanks!

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: Tripod question
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 01:04:23 PM »
Seems average.
The Manfrotto Be Free is like 2.4 pounds.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 01:39:14 PM »
Man shall not live by weight alone...

It really depends on your intended use, and of course, budget. Mine is a hair over 4 pounds with eight layers of carbon fiber and coming from my older aluminum tripod that's super lightweight for what I use it for. Whether its  on the edge of a 1,000 foot drop or in a rushing river, I have certain load bearing requirements for weight and stability, particularly when $4,000 is sitting on top of the tripod. I'm pretty sure there isn't a sub 3lb tripod on the market that would meet those needs.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 02:35:10 PM »
For a 65mm spotter and iphone photos thats heavy.  For your 80mm and filming thats light. 

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 03:01:55 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for the replies guys! Bean, I totally understand what you're saying about having 4K sitting on top of that business.. Looks like I'll be keeping this for filming and the spotter, I'll use my el cheapo for just glassing with the binos..

Offline nalley112

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 03:10:09 PM »
I use induro and manfrotto tripods both weigh over 4 lbs without the head.. if you get nervous about a weight factor therenis a little hook on the bottom of the tripod neck that you could always have a little cloth bag and use that to hook on the little hook and it will help sturdy your base and don't have to get so nervous on cliff edges.. it won't help it not fall over it just adds a little more weight to to get a better footing.. I use them mainly when I have my camera over water shooting waterfalls and river and it helps keep a strong firm base.. but being 4 pounds you should be sitting pretty go to use about 4-7lbs on the tripod depending if you are going to have it all the way extended or not..
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:23:59 PM by nalley112 »
cortneynalleyphotography- instagram

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 03:53:56 PM »
Great info! Thanks so much everyone.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for the replies guys! Bean, I totally understand what you're saying about having 4K sitting on top of that business.. Looks like I'll be keeping this for filming and the spotter, I'll use my el cheapo for just glassing with the binos..

El-Cheapo is often fine and dandy for just binos.  I've seen a few hunters glassing Swaro 15x56 binos on top of what I'm sure were $50ish tripods. Most users were just seated and just needed to pan around a bit. You don't need an expensive, highly precisioned head for such relatively light weight, and probably don't need the tripod to do special tripod tricks like get low to the ground, which necessitates a wider, heavier 'spider' (the metal part in the middle/top that connects the legs). I sometimes covet a four section tripod as they break down more compact but I can't stand how thin/narrow the lowest leg usually becomes as this is sacrifices strenght and stability.

For bino glassing you probably also have a lesser need for stability than you will for photo/video. Some day I'd like to learn more about video editing but IIRC you can use programs like Final Cut and iMovie to basically crop into the image a bit and remove light wind sway/hand shake to come up with a completely stable image. Photos aren't nearly as forgiving which is yet another reason why a serious photo guy/gal will want stiffer legs, pivoting feet, and all that other crap that makes a tripod heavier and more spendy  :chuckle:

Offline nalley112

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 09:51:24 AM »

El-Cheapo is often fine and dandy for just binos.  I've seen a few hunters glassing Swaro 15x56 binos on top of what I'm sure were $50ish tripods. Most users were just seated and just needed to pan around a bit. You don't need an expensive, highly precisioned head for such relatively light weight, and probably don't need the tripod to do special tripod tricks like get low to the ground, which necessitates a wider, heavier 'spider' (the metal part in the middle/top that connects the legs). I sometimes covet a four section tripod as they break down more compact but I can't stand how thin/narrow the lowest leg usually becomes as this is sacrifices strenght and stability.

For bino glassing you probably also have a lesser need for stability than you will for photo/video. Some day I'd like to learn more about video editing but IIRC you can use programs like Final Cut and iMovie to basically crop into the image a bit and remove light wind sway/hand shake to come up with a completely stable image. Photos aren't nearly as forgiving which is yet another reason why a serious photo guy/gal will want stiffer legs, pivoting feet, and all that other crap that makes a tripod heavier and more spendy  :chuckle:

If you ever want to learn Final Cut Pro I have it on my computer and learned it in school.. very fun for video editing!!👍🏼
cortneynalleyphotography- instagram

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw