collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A Tale of Two Turkeys, and other poultry adventures  (Read 8864 times)

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: A Tale of Two Turkeys, and other poultry adventures
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 07:09:14 PM »
Yesterday I butchered our Tom Turkey, Wallace. I invited a couple of friends who are hoping to start hunting this year so they could learn how to dress a bird.  He dressed out to 15 lbs with almost no pin feathers. Definitely interested in trying slate turkeys again. I also want to try some "midget whites" if I can find them. 

Also, if anyone is interested in learning about poultry or butchering, let me know.  I'm happy to share what I can. We'll probably do another group butcher demo/event this spring in the tricities. If you'd like to join or know someone who is interested, PM me. :)

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 07:11:41 PM »
Nice looking bird, why no pin feathers? :dunno:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 07:16:26 PM »
Honestly, I'm not sure. His feathers were very fine, and pulled out very easily. We got most of them by dry plucking, even though it was below freezing outside. Under the wings were very fluffy, like a silkie chicken. And the feather shafts were very small and shallow.  I suspect that it's a characteristic of the breed.
The bronze hen that we did was much harder to pluck and I was trying to clean up the pin feathers with needle nose pliers before she went in the freezer.

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 08:13:40 AM »
Great story, thanks so much for sharing! Now i want to raise turkeys too!
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
Honestly, I'm not sure. His feathers were very fine, and pulled out very easily. We got most of them by dry plucking, even though it was below freezing outside. Under the wings were very fluffy, like a silkie chicken. And the feather shafts were very small and shallow.  I suspect that it's a characteristic of the breed.
The bronze hen that we did was much harder to pluck and I was trying to clean up the pin feathers with needle nose pliers before she went in the freezer.

I have a retired butcher buddy that helped me butcher 4 turkeys in November. He showed me a slaughter technique that was pretty neat and made plucking super easy. It takes 2 people as you need to pin the turkey to the ground. Basically you put the knife in the mouth and push it through the brain quickly. Something about this process makes the feathers release and come out really easily. I was skeptical and thought he was screwing with me but it worked like a charm.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 11:54:39 AM »

I have a retired butcher buddy that helped me butcher 4 turkeys in November. He showed me a slaughter technique that was pretty neat and made plucking super easy. It takes 2 people as you need to pin the turkey to the ground. Basically you put the knife in the mouth and push it through the brain quickly. Something about this process makes the feathers release and come out really easily. I was skeptical and thought he was screwing with me but it worked like a charm.

Interesting!  I'll have to try that sometime.  I wonder if it works for chickens too...

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 09:56:39 AM »

Interesting!  I'll have to try that sometime.  I wonder if it works for chickens too...

It probably would I would think. It really helped with the pin feathers.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal