collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Flapping Wing Decoys  (Read 2183 times)

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Flapping Wing Decoys
« on: January 03, 2017, 10:15:54 AM »
I am interested to hear thoughts on flapping wing decoys at busy hunting spots.  I hunt on public land and I see A LOT of flapping wing decoys.  I own a few and have tried them but with mixed success.  I feel like the flappers help when I'm hunting away from the crowd but when I'm at a busy place like the Samish unit where basically everyone out there is flying 3 - 5 flappers and the blinds are close together, it seems like birds stay away from them.  Now, I realize there are many other factors (and being a public land hunter I'm used to dealing with all of them) like very aggressive callers, sky busters etc. that can make birds turn away at Samish.  There are many threads on that topic but I'd like to discuss flappers.  What do you guys think?  Good/Bad?  Good/Bad at public places?  Good/Bad when everyone in the vicinity is flying them?  Good/Bad in small or large quantities?  How well have they worked for you?

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
Re: Flapping Wing Decoys
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 10:58:42 AM »
Welcome to the site!
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline muzzlebuck

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »
Sometimes they work great. If you're flaring birds stick to the jerk rig.

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 11:45:27 AM »
For hunting traffic locations they are the most important thing I take hunting other than my gun. If you're on an X then they can do more harm than good.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 12:50:57 PM »
First by naming specific locations you hunt, it only encourage and educates more to try it.  If you like pressure, you will enjoy more of it.
Secondly, it depends on the spread used, location and how many you use.  Lots of factors, factor in as well.  Bad concealment and you still won't better yourself with a dozen of them.
If the birds are flaring off them, then pull them or shift where they are located, so you can shoot the birds at they point where they flare.  Given they are in range.  The unit you mention is also notorious for skybusters as well.  Windy days and cold will help.  Best of luck to you.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 07:42:14 AM »
Sometimes birds like lots of flash, sometimes just a little and sometimes none.  I find it changes day by day, location by location and even time during the day.  There are places where I start with a bunch of flash and decoys and pull both in stages as the sun comes up.

If I see at least 2-3 flights that don't like what I have, I do something different.

Offline EagleEye

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 01:41:45 PM »
Gringo31 - Thank you!  Great to be here.

MuzzleBuck - Definitely.  Give the birds whatever they want. 

270Shooter - Very interesting.  I've always thought about the flappers as a way to bring in birds from a distance but never thought about whether you're on the X or not.  Makes sense. 

H2OFowler - So you're saying I should not hunt in my favorite Hawaiian shirt and Blaze-Orange Top Hat?  Dangit.  Hahahahaa!  Point taken.  And thank you for sharing your thoughts about flaring. I like the ideas of trying to stop the flare but if you can't then try to adjust the spread to put the flare where you can still get a shot.  Good stuff.  Thanks again. 

Stein - Interesting.  I often make adjustments as the sun gets higher and sometimes that involves pulling the flappers.  I usually shift a few floaters/fields deeks around but I've never pulled floaters/fields deeks mid-day.  I should probably think about that... 

To all - good luck with the ice and I hope everyone has a strong finish to the season.   

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »
Gringo31 - Thank you!  Great to be here.

MuzzleBuck - Definitely.  Give the birds whatever they want. 

270Shooter - Very interesting.  I've always thought about the flappers as a way to bring in birds from a distance but never thought about whether you're on the X or not.  Makes sense. 

H2OFowler - So you're saying I should not hunt in my favorite Hawaiian shirt and Blaze-Orange Top Hat?  Dangit.  Hahahahaa!  Point taken.  And thank you for sharing your thoughts about flaring. I like the ideas of trying to stop the flare but if you can't then try to adjust the spread to put the flare where you can still get a shot.  Good stuff.  Thanks again. 

Stein - Interesting.  I often make adjustments as the sun gets higher and sometimes that involves pulling the flappers.  I usually shift a few floaters/fields deeks around but I've never pulled floaters/fields deeks mid-day.  I should probably think about that... 

To all - good luck with the ice and I hope everyone has a strong finish to the season.

My decoy spread never stays the same from the setup.  I watch the birds and how they work and make adjustments as necessary.  If I need to pull decoys or move the entire spread I will do that as well.  Sometime trying to run traffic or pull the birds from where they want to be isn't always an easy challenge or provides limited opportunities.  I will make the change, shoot the birds and get out of a spot quick if possible.  Limit the pressure applied to the area as well.  :tup:
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]