collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dog vests in cold weather  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Bunny Thumper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Dog vests in cold weather
« on: January 06, 2017, 11:13:57 AM »
What is everyone's opinion of neoprene dog vests in very cold weather? Do they keep the dog warm or can they make the dog cold by not letting it shake off water trapped underneath?

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
Re: Dog vests in cold weather
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 11:45:05 AM »
I have a dog vest from cabelas that I use it is one of the flotation ones. It keeps his core warm though and has a handle on top I can pick him up and put him in or out of the vehicle. I like it because it also protects his chest as he's the type of dog that doesn't stay on trail so he is always scratching his chest up. :twocents:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline ducksdogsdownriggers

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
A properly fitted and trimmed dog vest will keep 90% of the water out from under the vest, ie when you take the vest off after a hunt your dog is essentially dry under the vest. The inside of the vest will steam after it is taken off indicating the heat trapped between your dog and the vest.  Given that a body loses heat 25 times faster when in contact with water than dry air I think a dog vest is a no brainer in cold weather.  A 100% outside dog that is acclimated to the temps will have a coat that essentially does the same by keeping water off the skin, but that ain't my dog, and even if it was, why not use a vest for added protection.   :twocents:

Vest must fit properly.  If your dog is getting soaked underneath your vest, it doesn't fit correctly. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:07:05 PM by ducksdogsdownriggers »

Offline trapp01

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 12:32:07 PM »
If it's under 20 degrees I'll put my labs  in vests. It seems to keep them dry and warm under the vest. they don't like the vests much though. I like the bring a blanket for them to get off the ground or bottom of the boat. The cabelas vests didn't fit my dogs very well, they're too loose in the belly region and where it would bend around the front shoulders it wouldn't make contact to the dog. They're small labs so I made my own from an old set of waders.

Offline Goldeneye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • One shot One Kill
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 12:44:32 PM »
I use the vests.  On a cold day I will slip my hand under my pups vest.  It's nice and warm under that vest.  As was mentioned, when the vest comes off, she's pretty dry as well.  Vest are a good thing for a waterdog.  My pup get's really excited when she see's her hunting vest set out for the next days hunt.  That means she's going.  Here's my girl in her vest.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »
We use one.  Even if it traps water, it will be warmer - that is how scuba wetsuits work.

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 02:24:40 PM »
I use the vests.  On a cold day I will slip my hand under my pups vest.  It's nice and warm under that vest.  As was mentioned, when the vest comes off, she's pretty dry as well.  Vest are a good thing for a waterdog.  My pup get's really excited when she see's her hunting vest set out for the next days hunt.  That means she's going.  Here's my girl in her vest.

:yeah:

When I take mine off my dog steam is rolling off of her if it is really cold...I am convinced it keeps her warm  :tup:

Offline KDB

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 11:02:17 AM »
I have not doubt that they keep the dog warmer. I do have a question on how tight should the vest be on your dog?

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 11:35:25 AM »
My dog lives outside. So she has a good coat.
I put a vest on if we are hunting out of a boat, or ponds where ice might be present to protect her chest.
My first dog was retrieving a bumper and slipped through a hole in ice and was trapped under the ice for a short time. Scared the heck out of me. So I am cautious around ice.

If in a field I seldom put the vest on as she just gets to hot.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 04:13:49 PM »
I will never go out on a cold day with out my dogs vest. My Chessie Chief caught hypothermia while we were out for a morning hunt. I couldnt find his vest because he normally doesnt need it. Big mistake. there are 2 reasons why they work. 1 is the additional flotation they provide. doesnt sound like much but Chief swims like he had a 5lb brick of lead in his rear, the jacket helps a lot. 2 anyone who has used a wet suit while diving or waterskiing can attest to how much warmer they keep you even tho you get wet.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline sakoshooter

• WFW Board of Directors
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Life Memberr NRA, Life Member Sumner Sportsmans Association
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 08:19:07 PM »
Adds warmth, flotation AND protection.
Rhinelander, WI
Home of the Hodag

Online baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 08:25:18 PM »
We use one on my GSP. It seams to keep him warm and I like the added protection for an otherwise accident prone dog.
He seams to like it to, as soon as he sees it he knows what where about to go do.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]