collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho unit 26 and 27 advice  (Read 12711 times)

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
Re: Idaho unit 26 and 27 advice
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 01:51:12 PM »
Fly-in won't be an option for me since I am a school teacher and I only can arrange so much time off in the fall.
Thank you for your service to the world.

Please go in and kick the counselor.

Yeah, I saw the thread about that...

For what it's worth, I teach ROTC.  We don't have much better luck with them than you do... :chuckle:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 01:53:31 PM »
1. I'm scared to talk deer in Idaho right now...obviously (see winterkill thread)
2. I can't speak for all units but I've heard that ATVs are really a problem in 43. I've been in 49 during archery elk season and seldom saw a soul over 5 days. I do know that many of the units surrounding Boise, Challis and Salmon will have plenty of people and ATVs...of course...the further away you get from the city the fewer people/ATVs. You can really tell from google earth the places that have trail networks and also I use trails.idaho.gov quite a bit for scoutin

PS: It's an unwritten rule that you can't hunt in Idaho without an ATV

I have heard that.  I guess I'm screwed... :(

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 02:00:05 PM »
1. I'm scared to talk deer in Idaho right now...obviously (see winterkill thread)
2. I can't speak for all units but I've heard that ATVs are really a problem in 43. I've been in 49 during archery elk season and seldom saw a soul over 5 days. I do know that many of the units surrounding Boise, Challis and Salmon will have plenty of people and ATVs...of course...the further away you get from the city the fewer people/ATVs. You can really tell from google earth the places that have trail networks and also I use trails.idaho.gov quite a bit for scoutin

An easy workaround is to bring one and keep it parked it at camp ;)
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »

An easy workaround is to bring one and keep it parked it at camp ;)

How about a cardboard cutout of one?  How close do they look?

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 11:47:12 AM »
Keep in mind that unit 27 is now first choice draw only.  So you wont be able to put in for a better unit and use 27 as your fall back.  26 could be a fall back but not 27 now, or at least that's how it was last year.  Those two units are challenging during the November hunt due to the potential to get dumped on with snow, but can make for some good hunting.  Also depends on if you're driving in somewhere up a mountain road vs. hiking in from lower elevation.  It can be sketchy if you drive in anywhere in November.  Pay attention to the forecast.

Offline j_wellock

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 06:07:55 PM »
Question... how are these unitstill earlier in the season with the general tag is it littered with people? The deer still really high and hard to get to? Alot that I'm seeing is everyone hunts this in November and that sounds like when the majority hunt this

Offline Beargravy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 07:36:45 PM »
No, it wont be littered with people during general season,you probably wont see anybody if goin in on foot, and yes the deer are high and hard to get to.Most people fly in to the landingstrips in November and hunt the rut ,if you get away from the strips a few miles you wont see many people.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2017, 07:43:30 PM »
A tip to beat "the crowds" hike in on the trail 1.5 miles, turn left/right, hike 5000' up towards the top. Crowd free!!
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline j_wellock

• Tracker
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2017, 07:51:51 PM »
Was thinking about possibly flying in during the general season and getting in a few miles away from the landing strip

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2017, 08:47:30 PM »
Now we're talkin...but you'll be flying into the crowd, not away from em.
Still the terms "crowd" and "central idaho" don't go together all that well ;)
-Black Elk

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »
Idaho has a non motorized hunting rule. You can use a lot of trails for travel to and from camp for the pack in and out but can only hunt from camp on foot and can't use your rig until you leave. Like mentioned this rule is hard to enforce.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »
Idaho has a non motorized hunting rule. You can use a lot of trails for travel to and from camp for the pack in and out but can only hunt from camp on foot and can't use your rig until you leave. Like mentioned this rule is hard to enforce.
Herein lies the problem, lots of guys in areas with the nonmotorized hunting rule just strap a tent and sleeping bag to the rack of their bikes/atvs, if by some slim chance a game warden happens to stop them they are simply headed to their campsite and not hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand