collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 Winter Kill  (Read 32614 times)

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: 2017 Winter Kill
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2017, 03:38:23 PM »
It begs the question...what is a 2.5 year old deer?
Answer: It depends. :)

Whoops, sorry for the population modeling jargon.  All fawns and calves in the northern states are born mid-late spring, so bios have a habit of tacking on a half year for animals killed during fall hunting seasons.  A 2.5 year old deer is one that was born in the spring two years before the fall in which it was killed.  Some prefer to call the same just 2+, others will assume a June birthdate and call September and October kills 2.3, November 2.4 and December 2.5.  Still others will have actual peak birth timing data for species in their area and go from there.   
Go ahead and model your populations brother. I hang out with Biologists every now and again ;)
I was saying: What does a 2.5 year old deer really look like...110"? 130"? 138"? Forky?
I reckon it just depends.
We had a spirited debate whilst looking over a pile of dead buckums last year...
Pretty sure my buddy kilt the most genetically gifted 78# fawn you ever did see!!
Gotcha!  A 2.5 year old buck is on his second set of antlers and was probably a spike or 2-point the year before.  A typical Washington 2.5 year old really depends by area, but in general I'd say is a 14-18" outside spread, spindly 3 or 4 point mule deer; a basket-racked 3 or 4 point whitetail (counting eye guards) and 10-14" outside.  Probably 100-110 pounds dressed. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2017, 03:45:18 PM »
Isn't a cold snap around birthing time the worst for mortality rates in deer and elk, Doublelung?
It can be occasionally, more so for deer and pronghorn than elk.  More of an issue in the Rocky Mountain states, where spring blizzards can actually cover the fawns with snow.  So many of the newborns are going to die anyway, it can be difficult to piece out predation, exposure and lactation issues.  Only 1 fawn in 5 or 6 needs to survive to 12 months for a stable deer population, around 1 in 3 to 4 for elk calves.  it's very common to have over half the newborns dead within 2 weeks of birth. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline WALLEYEGUY

• Scout
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2017, 04:24:13 PM »
 :bash: Had a moose drop dead in our hood yesterday, young bull supposedly starved to death according to the fish and game guys.  Doubt it myself something else wrong with it but no apparent injuries.  :bash:

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2017, 06:28:14 PM »
If the spring green up happens too fast they will overindulge and die.

Especially after a tough winter. I've found lots of yearlings with just a little blood and/or green rumen around the nostrils/mouth. I suspect lots of areas in the PNW are in the average to bad winter kill this season. Especially with that week plus of single digits/below 0, followed by wet and another freeze.
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Online 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »
I spent 2 years 8 miles behind the locked gates while building JRO (Mt St Helens Observatory).
Watched the circle of life everyday.
Winter kill is a horrible thing to watch.

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »
According to Eastman's,  A bad winter kill is determined in Late February thru mid April.  Deer can handle a few months of extreme weather and survive.  What kills the deer off is a hard winter like we have had and then a couple of late abnormally cold and snowy storms that kick the deer while they are down and week.  Just what they mentioned and I read a couple of years ago.
Zonk Volmer

Online Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2017, 06:19:18 AM »
Well I just applied for WY elk so...

I think there is a grace period for removing application  ;) :dunno:  I'm going with the odds I won't draw.  :(
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough

Offline Buckblaster

• Scout
  • 2015 Wyoming Moose
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2017, 08:33:14 AM »
That hot little weather lady on Spokane's Q6 news said this morning that this past January was the coldest on record since 1979.  It's bound to create some winter kill, likely in some areas more than others.
NRA Life Member

"The people will not understand the importance of the Second Amendment until it is too late."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2017, 09:07:25 AM »
Chelan County PUD recently released a news release in response to recent inquiries about high bills.  The December-January billing period was the coldest on record. 

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »
Chelan County PUD recently released a news release in response to recent inquiries about high bills.  The December-January billing period was the coldest on record.
AHHH!!  Global Warming skipped us!  Call Gore!! :yike:
MAGA!  Again..

Online Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2017, 03:45:58 PM »
http://wyo4news.com/news/severe-winter-conditions-impact-wildlife-southwest-wyoming

Wyoming

Not cool...
  :yeah:   Not sure they aren't playing it down a little.  Brother has lived in the Rock Springs - Lander area for over 40 years.  He says it's as bad as he has seen.   :(   
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »
http://wyo4news.com/news/severe-winter-conditions-impact-wildlife-southwest-wyoming

Wyoming

Not cool...
  :yeah:   Not sure they aren't playing it down a little.  Brother has lived in the Rock Springs - Lander area for over 40 years.  He says it's as bad as he has seen.   :(   
That's sad.  I was there for the '92-93 and '96-97 winters, and those were both severe buttkickers for antelope and deer; '96-97 was one of the very few years that elk in western Wyoming had increased weather-related mortality. 

Offline Buckblaster

• Scout
  • 2015 Wyoming Moose
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2017, 06:53:56 AM »
96-97 was a killer winter here too.
NRA Life Member

"The people will not understand the importance of the Second Amendment until it is too late."
Thomas Jefferson

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg