collapse
A lightweight orange vest that complements your technical hunting apparel! See our Super Grade Outdoor Equipment!

Author Topic: I-90 to close for critter crossing work  (Read 1516 times)

Offline quadrafire

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: I-90 to close for critter crossing work
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 08:54:15 AM »
I could see it causing more traffic accidents. Can you just imagine all the gawkers when they see a big bull rack silhouetted crossing that bridge and not paying attention to the road  :yike:

Offline b0bbyg

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 09:04:26 AM »
I have seen some of these up north and believe they work.  Mostly because of the miles of fencing that was also there to force animals to use the overpass.   Are they putting up fences to funnel the animals with this project or just hoping they will use it?

Offline Dhoey07

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 09:50:32 AM »
Its in a terrible spot the amount of migration across in that spot is minimal . I agree they need to spend that money making roads safer . If you travel I90 at night you can hardly see the lanes its a joke .
:yeah:
I drive the pass everyday. This year by far is the narrowest it has been since construction started. As you said Corey. It's a joke and there have been several accidents due to the narrow road. IMO wsdot should be held accountable. As far as the animal crossing. Absolute joke! Added another year to the project and the cost is ridiculous! Yes I hate to see animals wasted by vehicles but it is what it is. That spot is actually one of the more traveled spots for animals to cross. See lots of deer and elk hit there. Ok my rants over   :bash:

Yes it is narrow but it would also help if people followed the 50mph speed limit through there. 

I'm pretty sure I recall reading that an average of 5 animals were hit per year on the freeway through there.

Online Bofire

• Off-Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 11:06:30 AM »
There lots of these in the US and Canada also Europe, they have been shown to be quite effective.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

You do not Blow a predator call, you Play it

Offline CP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 11:55:26 AM »
Its in a terrible spot the amount of migration across in that spot is minimal . I agree they need to spend that money making roads safer . If you travel I90 at night you can hardly see the lanes its a joke .
I drive the pass everyday. This year by far is the narrowest it has been since construction started. As you said Corey. It's a joke and there have been several accidents due to the narrow road. IMO wsdot should be held accountable. As far as the animal crossing. Absolute joke! Added another year to the project and the cost is ridiculous! Yes I hate to see animals wasted by vehicles but it is what it is. That spot is actually one of the more traveled spots for animals to cross. See lots of deer and elk hit there. Ok my rants over   :bash:

Yes it is narrow but it would also help if people followed the 50mph speed limit through there. 

I'm pretty sure I recall reading that an average of 5 animals were hit per year on the freeway through there.

A nice straight bridge through Stump Lake would have been a lot quicker and cheaper than moving mountains, building animal crossings, eminent domain takings, etc.

Offline Dhoey07

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »

A nice straight bridge through Stump Lake would have been a lot quicker and cheaper than moving mountains, building animal crossings, eminent domain takings, etc.

And what was the price tag on that?

Offline DaveMonti

• Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »
I could see it causing more traffic accidents. Can you just imagine all the gawkers when they see a big bull rack silhouetted crossing that bridge and not paying attention to the road  :yike:

You're assuming they will take their eyes off their smartphone and look up to the overpass! 

Offline quadrafire

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 03:43:09 PM »

You're assuming they will take their eyes off their smartphone and look up to the overpass!
Ha good point

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Wake me when you need me.
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2017, 03:48:26 PM »
If you look at a bunch of the river /Creek crossings like right by the DOT shop on the pass it is MUCH wider and incorporates the ability to move animals under it.

I belive the overpasses will have walls that won't allow you to see animals on the bridge or the animals the cars/freeway.
The Truth is like Poetry, and most people hate Poetry

Offline greenhead_killer

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2017, 04:31:42 PM »
I drive the pass, snoqualmie, 5-7 days a week. I have for 9+ years commuting for work. If I had to count animals hit, I bet I could do it on one hand in this spot. Not sure the waste of tax dollars on a crossing in this area. I've only seen one elk hit there in the last 5 years. Maybe this would have been better to put one out of north bend by the truck stop. Way better chance of elk being in the road there.
IBEW 46

Offline crowinghen

• Women's Board
  • Scout
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 05:49:20 PM »

I agree the lanes are ridiculously narrow, esp with snow on the side of the lanes!! And in the rain or at night,  EXTREMELY scary! I've been behind semi's that just put their flashers on and take the whole road- it felt a lot safer that way nobody passing each other.
Very dangerous.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Off-Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 06:25:52 PM »
I'm another "I'll believe it when I see it". Colorado has a lot of game crossings, but from my recollections they are all game underpasses that seem pretty effective. It is much more natural for fame to take a low route with cover vs. a bridge open to the sky. I guess we will see if it is worth the millions of $$$ and construction delays.

Offline colersu22

• Pilgrim
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2017, 06:35:20 PM »
I drive the pass, snoqualmie, 5-7 days a week. I have for 9+ years commuting for work. If I had to count animals hit, I bet I could do it on one hand in this spot. Not sure the waste of tax dollars on a crossing in this area. I've only seen one elk hit there in the last 5 years. Maybe this would have been better to put one out of north bend by the truck stop. Way better chance of elk being in the road there.

I agree with counting roadkill on 1 hand.  The one on Redmond ridge by QFC/power lines was 5.5 mill I believe a couple years ago and I had only seen 1 bear that was hit on that stretch of road before the animal bridge.  They do have a couple trail cam's on the Redmond ridge one and its posted no trespassing so you cant walk over it.