collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 Sheds. Post them here!  (Read 163616 times)

Offline SuperiorArchery

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • https://www.facebook.com/superiorarchery.org/
2017 Sheds. Post them here!
« on: January 11, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »
 Share your 2017 sheds here.

Bucks are starting to drop.  Don't push deer in order to get your first sheds of the season, they are not going anywhere!       Good Luck to all!

www.superiorarcherywa.com  #torquesight @superiorarcherywa
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:57:47 PM by SuperiorArchery »

Offline SuperiorArchery

• Pilgrim
Re: 2017 Sheds. Post them here!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:23:01 PM »
Thankful to stumble upon this today!

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 08:16:10 AM »
Nice find!  :tup: I'm excited to get out and start looking this year, but the roads are still drifted over to my favorite spots...I may have to try some new areas for now
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 08:52:13 AM »
Pretty tough to get right into there bedding areas in 2 feet of snow without pushing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 08:59:57 AM »
Pretty tough to get right into there bedding areas in 2 feet of snow without pushing them.

I agree. Its pretty tough going in a lot of places right now for them, I think its best to leave them alone for a bit.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 09:03:08 AM »
Don't push deer in order to get your first sheds of the season, they are not going anywhere!     

I agree. Kind of a catch 22 by the author with the pic, huh?

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 09:05:31 AM »
I think that with the right circumstances, you can shed hunt this time of year, even with the conditions we have, and not bother animals, but its VERY tough to do. It involves a lot of glassing from a distance, and patience. Find the deer, find the horns, wait for the deer to move on, go get the horns. Most won't give it that much time.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Rcarls5

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 12:20:47 PM »
Great looking shed! Do you happen to know the elevation you were at.

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »

Don't push deer in order to get your first sheds of the season, they are not going anywhere!     

Why does everyone assume that to find a shed this time of year means you're pushing deer? As 7mmfan noted, it IS possible to to do it without pushing them.  Who's to say that the author didn't glass and wait for the deer to leave before moving in on that shed?  I found my first shed last year in January, right along side a paved county road, with no animals in sight.  I get sick of the holier-than-thou attitude about this every year.  Everyone I know who shed hunts (including myself) are very diligent and cautious to not to bother the animals.  We belong to conservation groups, do volunteer work days throughout the year and respectfully hunt deer and elk in the fall.  The herd's welfare comes first in every aspect.  So it would be nice just once to not have to listen to a pious lecture just because someone found a shed in January. Just my  :twocents: I know my posting this won't change anything, preach on...
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 02:58:27 PM »

Why does everyone assume that to find a shed this time of year means you're pushing deer? As 7mmfan noted, it IS possible to to do it without pushing them.  Who's to say that the author didn't glass and wait for the deer to leave before moving in on that shed?  I found my first shed last year in January, right along side a paved county road, with no animals in sight.  I get sick of the holier-than-thou attitude about this every year.  Everyone I know who shed hunts (including myself) are very diligent and cautious to not to bother the animals.  We belong to conservation groups, do volunteer work days throughout the year and respectfully hunt deer and elk in the fall.  The herd's welfare comes first in every aspect.  So it would be nice just once to not have to listen to a pious lecture just because someone found a shed in January. Just my  :twocents: I know my posting this won't change anything, preach on...

Hey genius, my comment was made after the author tells us not to push deer then posts a pic of a fresh shed he found in the deep snow in a bedding area. No preaching here, just stating the true definition of the pot calling the kettle black.

Looks like a nice bone too :tup:

Offline benhuntin

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 03:15:08 PM »

Congratulations on all your conservation and volunteer work. A little defensive don't you think. I helped an old lady cross the street today, doesn't mean I get to chase the next one with my truck.  The OP stated he stumbled on the horn, doesn't sound like he was gassing for hours and then went and got it after the deer left. Either way congrats again on your conservation groups and all your volunteering.

Offline benhuntin

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »
BTW I didn't really help an old lady cross the street. That was sarcasm.

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 03:20:08 PM »

Hey genius, my comment was made after the author tells us not to push deer then posts a pic of a fresh shed he found in the deep snow in a bedding area. No preaching here, just stating the true definition of the pot calling the kettle black.

Looks like a nice bone too :tup:

Congratulations on all your conservation and volunteer work. A little defensive don't you think. I helped an old lady cross the street today, doesn't mean I get to chase the next one with my truck.  The OP stated he stumbled on the horn, doesn't sound like he was gassing for hours and then went and got it after the deer left. Either way congrats again on your conservation groups and all your volunteering.

So sad what this simple thread ( there is 1 for every year) turned into in less than 10 posts  :bash:

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 03:25:06 PM »
It was a beautiful day. Decided to take a drive and explore a new area. Found these from last year. I'd sure like to see the stud they belong to.

Offline SuperiorArchery

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 03:30:36 PM »
Thanks @ mfswallace  ! 
    I found that to be rather disappointing also!!!    This shed was found from a plowed road while walking my dog on a leash.
  Good luck to anyone that has the spare time to bitch about other people. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]