collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Advice for Backpacking Bow  (Read 3076 times)

Offline bowman

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
Advice for Backpacking Bow
« on: January 12, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »
I’m trying to put together a lightweight bow for backpacking and would like some advice/input.  Currently, I own two bows. Obsession Evolution 80lbs, HHA single pin sight, Trophy Ridge rest, Doinker stabilizer, and a 5 arrow Tight Spot quiver.  This bow is sweet to shoot, but just too heavy for hiking.  The other bow is a Mathews DXT 70lbs, 7-pin Spott Hog, Mathews drop away rest, and a 5 arrow Mathews quiver.  The DXT has a small chip in the limb that has started to splinter. 
My thought is to sell my Obsession the way it’s set up, buy new limbs for the DXT, trade or buy a 3 arrow quiver, trade or buy a 5 pin sight, and put a one-inch stabilizer on the bow. 
How hard would it be to find new limbs for the bow? Equipment recommendations? I’m not a fan of single pin sights. Thoughts?

Thank you

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Advice for Backpacking Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 02:08:23 PM »
I would sell or trade one or both bows and look for a Carbon Knight or a Carbon Overdrive. These two bows are so light that you could use you current accessories (which ever ones you like better) and still be almost a pound lighter.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 03:51:58 PM »
First I'd go shoot as many of this years and last years bows that you can. There's not a lot of sense in dumping money and time to the DXT if you get a different bow in the next few months. If you do stick with the DXT you should be able to contact Barnsdale to have them make you a set of limbs for it. To the rest of your setup is a lot of personal preference. You can count ounces and shave some here and there but your goals for how your bow shoots for you should be first. If you're just wanting a stabilizer to take some vibration out, I'd recommend that you just get a string stop that use that position to mount to and comes back around the riser. It'd be a more substantial benefit for the extra weight than a 1" stabilizer.

Offline JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
Go to a mathews dealer and order a set of limbs! My guess would be 125-150$ and the dealer will swap them out for you. May not get them in camo but you can still get them. If you buy a used set say from archery talk make sure the come with the limb turrets. The turrets are matched to the limbs. A set from a dealer will come with new turrets.
Shut up and Hunt!

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 06:44:40 AM »
I just picked up a Bowtech Carbon icon; 3.2lbs bare bow so maybe look into some carbon offerings?

Offline scottcrb

• NRA, RMEF, Wa marketing director Montucky Cold Snack, MDF, BHA,
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Montucky Cold Snacks
  • Groups: nra, RMEF,MDF
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 07:57:07 AM »
Start hiking with your obsession and get used to carrying the bow you like to shoot. Cheapest and easiest option.

Offline Jellymon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 11:23:58 PM »
You're lookin $150-200 for new limbs, I think. Mathews can get you some, they make parts for every bow they've made. Any Mathews dealer.

If you really want a lighter weight setup, You can sell both bows then get on archery talk and buy a used carbon element or matrix with RKT cams for around $500. The new limbs are a large chunk of that anyway, and selling the two bows would easily cover the entirety of a very nice carbon Hoyt. Which IMO is all of as good, if not better than Hoyts current offerings. That path would be very little out of pocket, if any. :twocents:

On the other hand there are ways to make your setup lighter with accessories.  Heck, compared to most aluminum bows the last 5 years your obsession is actually on the lighter side. By going to a Carbon Matrix you would only save about 4oz. Not really worth it IMO. The Smaller carbon element would save about 8/9oz. The HHA single pins are pretty heavy, get a lighter sight and ditch the stab and you can save almost 3/4lb right there. Then you won't have to retune a new bow. And if you fix the limbs on your mathews you'll have a backup. This is what I'd do.

The carbon Bowtechs are pretty light and some people seem to like them. It would be worth it to check them out to see if you like them. Personally I'm not a fan.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:01:05 AM by Jellymon »

Offline JBR

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »
You want light? Take a look at a Toelke 'Classic Whip' long bow. I switched from compound to this bow and love it. Light weight. Beautiful. Fun to shoot. Simple. I never have to worry about my backcountry hunt being ruined because of a mechanical failure in the field, which has happened to me. Bring an extra string in my pocket and I'm set. After carrying a compound with all the goodies around the mountain, switching the long bow was like having my cake and eating it too. My .02 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal