collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lewis County elk  (Read 10721 times)

Offline Thumper81

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Lewis County elk
« on: January 17, 2017, 07:41:04 PM »
Hey guys, what's the story on elk in the lewis county area? Rumor has it there's some sporty bulls up the Cowlitz near st. Helens. Anyone have any luck in that area?
Use enough gun. - Robert Ruark

Each hunter should use the weapon he has most confidence in. - W.D.M. "Karamojo" Bell

A hunt based only on trophies falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be. - Fred Bear

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Lewis County elk
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 08:04:19 PM »
First you gotta buy your weyco tag at $300-$600.  Then you gotta like those hoof rot critters.  But yea getting to be a few raghorns up there if you put the time in - best during the bow rut if you can use a call. 

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 08:13:38 PM »
The elk in Lewis county are gone!!! Tod riechert killed them all!!!
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline Thumper81

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:44:30 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.

Each hunter should use the weapon he has most confidence in. - W.D.M. "Karamojo" Bell

A hunt based only on trophies falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be. - Fred Bear

Offline Screaminreelz

• Disclaimer
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 02:15:02 PM »
Sad really, born and raised there and not only the quality of animal but the mass logging has destroyed the winston unit... sad times. Good memories from my father though. Will never forget them.
Some animals WERE harmed in the making of this Hunter. They were also dragged through the dirt, butchered and tasted delicious fried with butter and bacon.

Offline elkslayer069

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »
Sporty bulls? And the cowlitz is no where near st helens
You gonna draw those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Offline Sliverslinger

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »
I live on the the Cowlitz - yes there are elk- and there is definitely an extraordinary and increasing amount of hoof rot. Although there are plenty of elk, the population is no where near what it once was and the same is true of the quality of bull now. That's not to say there are no big bulls- there are. But there are a lot of fully mature bulls that are 5 points or less and raghorns are more the norm. Every elk that myself or my buddies have taken over the last 3 years has had moderate to severe good rot.
SliverSlinger

Offline Thumper81

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 03:54:15 PM »
Thanks for the info Silverslinger. I was debating on wether or not it was worth it to invest in a Weyco pass and put in the groundwork up there.

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 04:02:50 PM »
Thumper-
I had some TREMEDOUS bulls brought in by guys hunting general season rifle this year. I am about to post some pics of the euros in the Taxidermy section coming up, but you won't be disappointed. There is a HEAVY , palmated 8x9, a couple of heavy 7x7's and several good typical 6 points as the standouts....all general season bulls in public ground from areas you were inquiring about.
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 11:05:48 PM »
To buy a weyco permit for $300. You just gotta be able to justify it. Is it really worth it.  Is the area close to you or do you have to drive hours to get to one of the access gates. Spending $300 for trail cameras and scouting in the off season on public land is worth every penny of that $300.  Me paying a timber company my hard earned money for a chance of a rag horn bull. Most likely with hoof rot. Isn't gonna happen. I bought one the first year cause I was new to Washington. Never seen so many people in my life. Early bow season is a joke cause there's roads every 100 yards. Your trying to work a bull and next thing you know here come Tom, Dick and harry bombing down the side road. Slamming doors and squeezing there hoochie momma's like there's no tomorrow. Spent the next off season scouting the national forests and wilderness areas. Never looked back and still $300 richer. no road hunters in the back country. Just my  :twocents:

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 11:09:23 PM »
To buy a weyco permit for $300. You just gotta be able to justify it. Is it really worth it.  Is the area close to you or do you have to drive hours to get to one of the access gates. Spending $300 for trail cameras and scouting in the off season on public land is worth every penny of that $300.  Me paying a timber company my hard earned money for a chance of a rag horn bull. Most likely with hoof rot. Isn't gonna happen. I bought one the first year cause I was new to Washington. Never seen so many people in my life. Early bow season is a joke cause there's roads every 100 yards. Your trying to work a bull and next thing you know here come Tom, Dick and harry bombing down the side road. Slamming doors and squeezing there hoochie mama's like there's no tomorrow. Spent the next off season scouting the national forests and wilderness areas. Never looked back and still $300 richer. no road hunters in the back country. Just my  :twocents:

They take thier GF's with them.  :chuckle:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 01:25:04 AM »
To buy a weyco permit for $300. You just gotta be able to justify it. Is it really worth it.  Is the area close to you or do you have to drive hours to get to one of the access gates. Spending $300 for trail cameras and scouting in the off season on public land is worth every penny of that $300.  Me paying a timber company my hard earned money for a chance of a rag horn bull. Most likely with hoof rot. Isn't gonna happen. I bought one the first year cause I was new to Washington. Never seen so many people in my life. Early bow season is a joke cause there's roads every 100 yards. Your trying to work a bull and next thing you know here come Tom, Dick and harry bombing down the side road. Slamming doors and squeezing there hoochie mama's like there's no tomorrow. Spent the next off season scouting the national forests and wilderness areas. Never looked back and still $300 richer. no road hunters in the back country. Just my  :twocents:

They take thier GF's with them.  :chuckle:

Maybe it was Tom squeezing harry and Dick. Idk. Never went up and investigated it.  :dunno:

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 07:02:12 AM »
The elk in Lewis county are gone!!! Tod riechert killed them all!!!
:chuckle: Welcome back Judd!!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline NW SURVEYOR

• Scout
  • Groups: RMEF NRA
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 07:05:36 AM »
I grew up in Kelso hunting up towards St. Helens until that blew up.
Then hunted Lewis River/Marble and Headquarters till I moved to Enumclaw in 90.
We shot quite a few bulls in the Lewis River unit in the 80s.

I now hunt east Lewis County and have had good succes for the last 10 years.
The Cowlitz comes primarily off Mt. Rainier.
I think that the 25 road takes you south our of Randle back to the Lewis River unit.

The upper Cowlitz is not really St. Helens area.
The Lewis River is a Mt. Adams drainage.

That is todays geography lesson.

With regards to elk hunitng, I stick to public lands a mile or more from the end of the raods.
I have shot nice bulls 4 out of the last 6 years.
OTC Public Lands Fair Chase, .338.

Good Luck.
Rob.

Offline Thefishguy77

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 05:08:16 PM »
I live in east Lewis county. lots of elk but you have to get out a cover ground. Find a gated road and start walking. Up hill is my choice because I would rather pack downhill than up. But like said above. Go at least a mile beyond. Most people here never leave the sight of their truck.   There is a huge population of cows and spikes in town that keep people road hunting near town. I guess they think they will turn in to a 3x when they cross in to the NF. I don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand