collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Okanogan cougars  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
Re: Okanogan cougars
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 03:04:44 PM »
:dunno:   Lets compare:

Idaho
My son was just talking to a game warden in Idaho in one of the cougar reduced price tag areas. Cougar season runs all fall for boot hunters then is open Dec 2 to March 31 for hound hunting. Limit is 2 cougar per hunter, over the counter tags are reduced price to encourage more hunters. The cougar harvest is holding steady and he said they have collared elk and deer in a study to determine predator impacts, over 70% of elk and deer that die due to predators are being killed by cougar.

Washington
The cougar quota is filling too quickly, we need to reduce the harvest.

Oregon cougar tag cost the same amount for a resident or non-resident $15.50 plus you get an additional cougar tag for $15.50 after you fulfilled the original tag. Now you gotta buy your first cougar tag before September to qualify for an additional tag. Now bear tags cost the same amount for non-resident as to residents. $15.50. So after you buy your non-resident license $168 I believe. You can purchase a cougar tag and bear tag for $31. Year round cougar hunting in Oregon. Now that tells me that Oregon recognizes they have a problem with predator's so they charge the same for resident or non-residents. Plus there state wide quota is just under 1,000 cougars per year.

Now Washington non-resident cougar tag is $222, same price for a bear. We have just as many cougars as Oregon. Give or take a hundred. Washington cougar quota doesn't even come close to Oregon or Idaho's quota. Something just don't add up. Oh that's right WDFW protect the cougar at all cost.  :bash:

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 03:16:37 PM »
WDFW is promoting SSS ... I have six cougars within 3 miles of my place. The quota for unit 121 was six.. Unit 121 is 60+ miles long and 30 miles wide .That is 1800 square miles for a six cougar limit---one cougar for every 300 square miles. GIVE ME A BREAK .. NO MORE COUGAR TAG MONEY FROM ME. Everyone should boycott buying a cougar tag and just shoot the SOB's I know of 4 neighbors that have had run in's with cats and they will not report it to the WDFW. Last time one of them reported a cat killing her sheep , they sent out a guy with wingtip shoes and a clip board to verify if it was a cat kill. After that experience she had three other sheep killed ( at different times) that she would not report because of the previous response from the WDFW.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
 :yeah: cause honestly. How many cougar mounts can a guy afford at 5k a pop.  :chuckle:

Online mountainman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 04:40:29 PM »
And people are commenting on the cats they know about. Several areas here in central washington have has reports of 6 or more traveling and hunting together they the winter months
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 06:30:45 AM »
Cougar spotted behind the Colville Jr. High yesterday by the vice-principal. WDFW & police responded. Does anyone know if you can get a squealing child sound added to a FoxPro?
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 07:41:17 AM »
Cougar spotted behind the Colville Jr. High yesterday by the vice-principal. WDFW & police responded. Does anyone know if you can get a squealing child sound added to a FoxPro?

:chuckle: surprised WDFW Showed up. Figured they where still out watching for the rare and endangered spotted salamander.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal