collapse
Sound like the real thing! Extreme Elk Magazine

Author Topic: WDFW called out.  (Read 7938 times)

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
Re: WDFW called out.
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2017, 10:32:11 AM »
Why don't they do a study on the Olympic National Park herd and if those elk that routinely stay in the park away from logging and pesticides don't have hoof rot then that pretty much solves the where it came from questions, right.

How about the all natural studies. You hunt on a private timber company land that uses the chemical you see hoof rot. You drive into national forest land and you don't see a single one with it.  :dunno:

Online kball4

• Hunter
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 03:03:11 PM »
I know when they are actively spraying they block the roads so people don't come in contact with the chemicals, so that's gotta tell you something.

Offline huntbow

• Tracker
    • hunter bouma
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2017, 10:13:56 PM »
I had a late season special permit in the coweeman unit a few years ago.  While checking out a new area i came across a dead elk, when i walked up to it i first noticed the weird looking hooves since they were sticking up, figured that must of been why it died.  First time i have seen hoof rot.  Then i noticed a bullet hole through the front shoulder and when i walked around it, i saw the antlers had been sawed off.  I called it in but never heard another thing.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Off-Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2017, 07:18:57 AM »
I had a late season special permit in the coweeman unit a few years ago.  While checking out a new area i came across a dead elk, when i walked up to it i first noticed the weird looking hooves since they were sticking up, figured that must of been why it died.  First time i have seen hoof rot.  Then i noticed a bullet hole through the front shoulder and when i walked around it, i saw the antlers had been sawed off.  I called it in but never heard another thing.

You really didn't think they would actually come out and do their job!!!!

Offline fish vacuum

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2017, 07:56:17 PM »
One minor question about burning and chemicals. Were they burning entire units in recent history to get rid of weeds? The burning I've seen (and still see occasionally) was just slash piles and wouldn't rid a whole unit of underbrush.
I'm just looking for clarification on whether or not the spraying replaces burning.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Off-Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2017, 08:31:20 PM »
One minor question about burning and chemicals. Were they burning entire units in recent history to get rid of weeds? The burning I've seen (and still see occasionally) was just slash piles and wouldn't rid a whole unit of underbrush.
I'm just looking for clarification on whether or not the spraying replaces burning.

When burning was slash burning was legal. They used to burn piles through out the cut. Or they would be big long slash piles. Now they burn the slash pile that piles up at the landings from the processer and yarder. They spray the cuts from one side to other now with chemicals to stop the growth of other weeds.

Offline coastalyeti

• Pilgrim
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »
Same as farming; if you douse your land with pesticides, (even though it goes in the rivers & groundwater and everything else) you're a Good farmer.
-If you even THINK about using natural alternatives or going organic, you're gonna fill out crap loads of papers and Pay.
-The chemical companies OWN the politicians left/right and middle. Yet fires are natural. Always kept the underbrush down and kept mold, fungus, fleas, ticks, and everything down to a dull roar.
When there's a burn, ever notice how quick the deer go in there afterwards? They get there before the forbs even sprout up, just to have a bug free zone.
It is beyond me, how can an agency say that Roundup is safer to breathe/eat/drink/absorb than woodsmoke?
Who did the science on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Duckslayer89

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2017, 11:38:55 PM »
Same as farming; if you douse your land with pesticides, (even though it goes in the rivers & groundwater and everything else) you're a Good farmer.
-If you even THINK about using natural alternatives or going organic, you're gonna fill out crap loads of papers and Pay.
-The chemical companies OWN the politicians left/right and middle. Yet fires are natural. Always kept the underbrush down and kept mold, fungus, fleas, ticks, and everything down to a dull roar.
When there's a burn, ever notice how quick the deer go in there afterwards? They get there before the forbs even sprout up, just to have a bug free zone.
It is beyond me, how can an agency say that Roundup is safer to breathe/eat/drink/absorb than woodsmoke?
Who did the science on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbon footprint scam. In Idaho where I was deer hunting last year they had fires going in recently harvested cuts. Maybe it's a WA thing

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire brigade
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
Definitely a WA thing I think.

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 07:38:14 PM »
prescribed burns are good, wish they'd increase them by a lot.   Last few years of fire storms have really helped get the ball rolling on this.

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2017, 11:34:09 PM »
Do they use chemicals on the east side as well? Before reading all this I didn't know they did that. Seems silly to think herbicide is ok for wildlife to walk through and ingest. Let alone a person walk through it unknowingly after they sprayed. How's  their herbicide any different than something you would use at home and it says not to let your pets come in contact with it. So ridiculous.

Offline Don_D

• Site Sponsor
  • Tracker
    • NA
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »
Not sure about whether they use chems on the dry side but they certainly have a lot less underbrush which is the whole reason they spray over on this side. They also take all that fresh cut habitat away from the elk and deer so they dont get to feed the cut like they are used to when they kill off all these succulents with round up.

The elk are spending a lot more time in the areas below these cuts with creeks and wet areas to feed and are getting even more exposure to the run off of the chemicals as a result.

As well, I've wondered if the hoof rot is not the real cause of the whole thing but could be a symptom.

Bare with me here. The incidence of auto immune disease in the human population has been increasing for decades and not in relation to population increase. It also has been rising across all age groups and I personally know teens who are being diagnosed with diseases like Rheumatoid Arthritis. Dont know what RA is? Google a few pics. It isn't your typical arthritis that's for sure.

I tend to think that much of it is diet related. I have it (25 years now) and have spent many years reading and trying various remedies for it along with all the meds my docs give me. In my case none of the diet changes have made a difference but my family has had this disease for generation after generation. The one exception is corn. If I eat or drink anything with corn products in it my joints will swell up worse. I avoid it and have for years.

I have spoken with a whole lot of people however who have made drastic changes in their diets and have had their so called disease virtually disappear and stay that way so long as they are strict in their diets. What is it in food that is causing them to get so sick their lives are turned upside down anyway?

With auto immune diseases one of the symptoms always seems to be joint inflammation and pain, in some cases also having severe degeneration of the joints and causing deformities. My hands and feet are pretty bad for instance and my fingers are real crooked and hurt all the time. You feel like you have the flu all day every day.

Im not saying this is the same thing as what we are seeing in the Elk populations down south but with the reports of the hunters who are quartering these animals saying that the meat itself was bad enough they wouldn't eat it it sure seems like there is more going on here than meets the eye.

The DFW has been doing nothing on this for decades. Meanwhile Elk herds are being decimated by this problem down south. Reputable people have come forward offering to help without need of financial gain to the state and have been declined. What exactly do they have to lose by taking people up on these offers? They don't have to endorse their findings.

It will be too little too late with DFW. They have a vested interest in not changing a thing with how trees are harvested and farmed and will do their best to protect that interest come hell or high water.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Wake me when you need me.
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2017, 09:29:32 AM »
My mom is a celiac and I have gluten intolerance. My mother had a host of auto immune problems until she cut all wheat and gluten out. I have often wondered something similar as most auto immunenproblems are symptoms not root causes. Root causes are much harder to determine and takes a fair amount of testing.
The Truth is like Poetry, and most people hate Poetry

ElkNut Outdoor Productions