collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW called out.  (Read 19941 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: WDFW called out.
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »
I definitely see that. It's a good example of the unintended consequences. By banning or restricting slash burning, the state and feds are forcing timber to coat the ground with chemicals. The end result is a more negative impact on the environment. Tough spot.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2017, 09:43:29 AM »
Why is it that the timber companies spray herbicide again? Serious question.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2017, 09:52:32 AM »

Sum it up kill the native vegetation.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 09:53:06 AM »
They couldn't burn like they used to because of clean air laws.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 10:02:30 AM »
Oh, ok I misinterpreted the statements as people suggesting herbicides cause hoof rot, which is clearly not the case.  The WDFW looked at many possible causes, and concluded based on extensive evidence treponeme bacteria is the cause of hoof rot.  Some tinfoil hat theories still persist I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2017, 10:17:01 AM »
Oh, ok I misinterpreted the statements as people suggesting herbicides cause hoof rot, which is clearly not the case.  The WDFW looked at many possible causes, and concluded based on extensive evidence treponeme bacteria is the cause of hoof rot.  Some tinfoil hat theories still persist I suppose.

Keep drinking their cool aid  :bash:

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2017, 11:21:05 AM »
Herbicide allows planted seedlings a chance to start growing free from competition from other brush/vegetation. Reforestation is expensive, so getting it right is important. Burning would essentially accomplish the same thing (meaning removing/reducing competing vegetation), but as stated above, is hard to do under current laws due to pretty tough regulations/requirements.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2017, 11:50:40 AM »

You can suppose all you want. WDFW has flatly refused to study herbicide use as possibly being causative, as you well know but refuse to acknowledge. Just because you disagree with this as another possible cause doesn't make it a tinfoil hat theory. There are respected scientists who question WDFW's hypothesis on the cause of hoof disease.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline WAPatriot

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • its not the arrow its the indian
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2017, 01:01:55 PM »
The genius biologists at the Wdfw are currently telling us that feeding starving deer and elk will kill them.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »
from WDFW

Wildlife Health

Treponeme associated hoof disease
 in Washington elk

Observations of elk with deformed, broken, or missing hooves have increased dramatically in southwest Washington over the past decade. Tests conducted by scientists in the U.S. and abroad show these abnormalities are strongly associated with treponeme bacteria, known to cause digital dermatitis in cattle, sheep and goats.

Digital dermatitis has plagued the livestock industry for decades, but the disease has never before been documented in elk or other wildlife. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is working with scientists, veterinarians, outdoor organizations and others to develop management strategies for elk herds affected by the disease.

Several aspects of the disease in elk are clear:
Treponeme associated hoof disease appears to be highly infectious among elk, but there is no evidence that it affects humans.
•Tests show the disease is limited to animals’ hooves, and does not affect their meat or organs.
•Currently, there is no vaccine for the disease, and there are no proven options for treating it in the field.

from google:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK7716/
Epidemiology

Humans are the only source of treponemal infection; there are no known nonhuman reservoirs. Venereal syphilis is distributed worldwide, and over the past several decades has become a significant public health problem in many underdeveloped countries. Infectivity rates correspond to the most sexually active age groups. Following the adoption of penicillin as the mainstay of syphilotherapy, the number of new syphilis cases progressively decreased until 1958, after which the trend reversed and a steady increase has occurred. The late 1980's experienced a major increase in the incidence of early syphilis cases which was largely related to crack cocaine usage among inner city minorities. Improved surveillance methods have helped to control this syphilis epidemic. Despite extensive eradication campaigns, yaws remains widespread in the tropics. Pinta remains endemic in Central and South America, and endemic syphilis is present in certain regions of the Middle East. The pathogenic treponemes have many cross-reacting antigens, and untreated infection is believed to confer partial protection against the other treponemal diseases.

I wanna know how these Elk got a human STD  :dunno:

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2017, 01:28:59 PM »
from WDFW

Wildlife Health

Treponeme associated hoof disease
 in Washington elk

Observations of elk with deformed, broken, or missing hooves have increased dramatically in southwest Washington over the past decade. Tests conducted by scientists in the U.S. and abroad show these abnormalities are strongly associated with treponeme bacteria, known to cause digital dermatitis in cattle, sheep and goats.

Digital dermatitis has plagued the livestock industry for decades, but the disease has never before been documented in elk or other wildlife. The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is working with scientists, veterinarians, outdoor organizations and others to develop management strategies for elk herds affected by the disease.

Several aspects of the disease in elk are clear:
Treponeme associated hoof disease appears to be highly infectious among elk, but there is no evidence that it affects humans.
•Tests show the disease is limited to animals’ hooves, and does not affect their meat or organs.
•Currently, there is no vaccine for the disease, and there are no proven options for treating it in the field.

from google:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK7716/
Epidemiology

Humans are the only source of treponemal infection; there are no known nonhuman reservoirs. Venereal syphilis is distributed worldwide, and over the past several decades has become a significant public health problem in many underdeveloped countries. Infectivity rates correspond to the most sexually active age groups. Following the adoption of penicillin as the mainstay of syphilotherapy, the number of new syphilis cases progressively decreased until 1958, after which the trend reversed and a steady increase has occurred. The late 1980's experienced a major increase in the incidence of early syphilis cases which was largely related to crack cocaine usage among inner city minorities. Improved surveillance methods have helped to control this syphilis epidemic. Despite extensive eradication campaigns, yaws remains widespread in the tropics. Pinta remains endemic in Central and South America, and endemic syphilis is present in certain regions of the Middle East. The pathogenic treponemes have many cross-reacting antigens, and untreated infection is believed to confer partial protection against the other treponemal diseases.

I wanna know how these Elk got a human STD  :dunno:

They also stated the meat was safe to eat. But yet turned right around and said use your best judgment on consuming the meat, smell, look etc. yeah! I trust them guys about as much as I trust a politician.  :bash: their scientist must been from the local 2nd grade science class.  :dunno:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2017, 02:01:02 PM »
:dunno: What does all of this have to do with Unsworth being called out for misleading a legislative committee?  And just as important misrepresenting his constituents (i.e. hunters and anglers). The very people who pay his salary.......  :dunno:

hoof rot was in the very first post, the thread seems to be on track although I don't see the FB link.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2017, 02:35:40 PM »
My bad. I thought this was the thread where unsworth was called out.  Carry on.  My apologies.
That was "Unsworth Has a Bad Day".

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2017, 09:56:13 PM »
So they banned slash burning in late 90's. The first elk with hoof rot was also noticed in the late 90's.  :dunno:
What changed? Oh, the chemicals they started using. That was only 2 minutes searching. But yet WDFW won't actually test the chemicals or anything that has to do with any private timber company. They will always just turn their backs on this.  :bash:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/health/hoof_disease/

http://m.tdn.com/news/local/are-herbicides-to-blame-for-region-s-hoof-rot-woes/article_172ae622-0c87-11e4-861b-001a4bcf887a.html

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2017, 10:28:57 PM »
Can someone please tell me why the timber companies would spray a cut to keep the natural plants from growing? Fire weed and red alder are the first ones to grow and they actually put nitrogen back into the soil (something that the conifers need to grow).

Seems as though the timber companies, chem companies and WDFW have their heads up each other's arse.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]