collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW called out.  (Read 19938 times)

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
Re: WDFW called out.
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2017, 10:54:21 PM »
Can someone please tell me why the timber companies would spray a cut to keep the natural plants from growing? Fire weed and red alder are the first ones to grow and they actually put nitrogen back into the soil (something that the conifers need to grow).

Seems as though the timber companies, chem companies and WDFW have their heads up each other's arse.

Sum it up. They spray it to kill off the vegetation. So their trees can grow without having other weeds/grasses don't take away nutritional value from the trees.

But yes they all have their heads where the sun don't shine. But yet non will point out the facts. They just keep saying oh we tested. But they never tested the herbicide chemicals. You read the msds of that stuff. Pretty much wipe a town out with a single bottle in the water. Yet some how they find it ok for elk to eat.  :dunno:

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2017, 11:01:36 PM »
It sucks for a lot of reasons, a big thing for me is that the east side is getting more and more pressure and access is dwindling year by year, there it is getting so crowded for each season that is my isn't nearly as fun
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2017, 11:42:43 PM »
It sucks for a lot of reasons, a big thing for me is that the east side is getting more and more pressure and access is dwindling year by year, there it is getting so crowded for each season that is my isn't nearly as fun

Kinda hard to hunt when your rubbing shoulders.  :bash: look at how many spend the money to go out of state. Better game management and a lot more space to hunt. Although I will say that this state does hold a lot of road hunters. So get. Mile off the road and it seems like your in a wilderness all by yourself. Yet your only a mile from the nearest road.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2017, 09:39:08 AM »
Can someone please tell me why the timber companies would spray a cut to keep the natural plants from growing? Fire weed and red alder are the first ones to grow and they actually put nitrogen back into the soil (something that the conifers need to grow).

Seems as though the timber companies, chem companies and WDFW have their heads up each other's arse.
Some fertilize to try to make up for the difference.  But no real 'crop rotation' philosophy there.  They have made a little change for the better in that a planting might be mixed conifers, whereas in the past it would be all doug fir or spruce or whatever.

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 08:32:41 AM »
Why don't they do a study on the Olympic National Park herd and if those elk that routinely stay in the park away from logging and pesticides don't have hoof rot then that pretty much solves the where it came from questions, right.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2017, 10:32:11 AM »
Why don't they do a study on the Olympic National Park herd and if those elk that routinely stay in the park away from logging and pesticides don't have hoof rot then that pretty much solves the where it came from questions, right.

How about the all natural studies. You hunt on a private timber company land that uses the chemical you see hoof rot. You drive into national forest land and you don't see a single one with it.  :dunno:

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2017, 03:03:11 PM »
I know when they are actively spraying they block the roads so people don't come in contact with the chemicals, so that's gotta tell you something.

Offline huntbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • hunter bouma
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2017, 10:13:56 PM »
I had a late season special permit in the coweeman unit a few years ago.  While checking out a new area i came across a dead elk, when i walked up to it i first noticed the weird looking hooves since they were sticking up, figured that must of been why it died.  First time i have seen hoof rot.  Then i noticed a bullet hole through the front shoulder and when i walked around it, i saw the antlers had been sawed off.  I called it in but never heard another thing.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2017, 07:18:57 AM »
I had a late season special permit in the coweeman unit a few years ago.  While checking out a new area i came across a dead elk, when i walked up to it i first noticed the weird looking hooves since they were sticking up, figured that must of been why it died.  First time i have seen hoof rot.  Then i noticed a bullet hole through the front shoulder and when i walked around it, i saw the antlers had been sawed off.  I called it in but never heard another thing.

You really didn't think they would actually come out and do their job!!!!

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2017, 07:56:17 PM »
One minor question about burning and chemicals. Were they burning entire units in recent history to get rid of weeds? The burning I've seen (and still see occasionally) was just slash piles and wouldn't rid a whole unit of underbrush.
I'm just looking for clarification on whether or not the spraying replaces burning.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2017, 08:31:20 PM »
One minor question about burning and chemicals. Were they burning entire units in recent history to get rid of weeds? The burning I've seen (and still see occasionally) was just slash piles and wouldn't rid a whole unit of underbrush.
I'm just looking for clarification on whether or not the spraying replaces burning.

When burning was slash burning was legal. They used to burn piles through out the cut. Or they would be big long slash piles. Now they burn the slash pile that piles up at the landings from the processer and yarder. They spray the cuts from one side to other now with chemicals to stop the growth of other weeds.

Offline coastalyeti

• Pilgrim
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2017, 11:22:33 PM »
Same as farming; if you douse your land with pesticides, (even though it goes in the rivers & groundwater and everything else) you're a Good farmer.
-If you even THINK about using natural alternatives or going organic, you're gonna fill out crap loads of papers and Pay.
-The chemical companies OWN the politicians left/right and middle. Yet fires are natural. Always kept the underbrush down and kept mold, fungus, fleas, ticks, and everything down to a dull roar.
When there's a burn, ever notice how quick the deer go in there afterwards? They get there before the forbs even sprout up, just to have a bug free zone.
It is beyond me, how can an agency say that Roundup is safer to breathe/eat/drink/absorb than woodsmoke?
Who did the science on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2017, 11:38:55 PM »
Same as farming; if you douse your land with pesticides, (even though it goes in the rivers & groundwater and everything else) you're a Good farmer.
-If you even THINK about using natural alternatives or going organic, you're gonna fill out crap loads of papers and Pay.
-The chemical companies OWN the politicians left/right and middle. Yet fires are natural. Always kept the underbrush down and kept mold, fungus, fleas, ticks, and everything down to a dull roar.
When there's a burn, ever notice how quick the deer go in there afterwards? They get there before the forbs even sprout up, just to have a bug free zone.
It is beyond me, how can an agency say that Roundup is safer to breathe/eat/drink/absorb than woodsmoke?
Who did the science on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbon footprint scam. In Idaho where I was deer hunting last year they had fires going in recently harvested cuts. Maybe it's a WA thing

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
Definitely a WA thing I think.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 07:38:14 PM »
prescribed burns are good, wish they'd increase them by a lot.   Last few years of fire storms have really helped get the ball rolling on this.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]