collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Commercial Fishing  (Read 147785 times)

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
Re: Commercial Fishing
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2017, 05:05:33 PM »
Thanks fellas. If I don't respond to your questions, just know that I'm trying to figure out if they either are part of a story I can tell our they are a bit better suited for a more focused reply than I can give while out here on the grounds.

One thing I've noticed that almost every guy here had said about getting on a commercial boat - they wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  It's true for me, too.  The only thing I regret about leaving the security and comfort of my regular life is that I didn't do it sooner.   I am completely ruined for 9-5 work from now on.  Nothing will give me the same thrill as wrassling a 25+# king the last three fathoms (leader length) to the boat by hand. Or pulling up wire after wire loaded with coho top to bottom.  Or finding a pile of hungry fish with nobody else around for miles.

It gets in your blood.

To paraphrase John Muir:

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

KABOOM Count - 1

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 05:14:57 PM »
I am all for commercial fishing in Alaska but don't feel like it really has a place in Washington anymore.  We have a different economy down here and way less fishing resources.  We need commercial fishing in this country but I believe it is much more sustainable in Alaska then here in the lower 48.  But until we get tribal nets out of the rivers none of this matters.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »
I am all for commercial fishing in Alaska but don't feel like it really has a place in Washington anymore.  We have a different economy down here and way less fishing resources.  We need commercial fishing in this country but I believe it is much more sustainable in Alaska then here in the lower 48.  But until we get tribal nets out of the rivers none of this matters.

Different economy down here? There's a huge market for fresh wild fish here. Where do you think most of the catch from AK comes? Yes the nets need to come out of the water and everyone can play fair.

Offline jstone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
1995 I went up to Alaska on a purse seiner. We fished SE Alaska had the time of my life. The only reason that I didn't keep doing it was my daughter was 1. It was hard on the wife, and when my daughter forgot who I was when I got home BROKE MY HEART. Hard work but one of those life experiences that I would never forget. I love the pictures brings back memories. And I remember when some of those HUGE kings hit the deck. Back in those days we had to throw the kings back. But they where big. And fishing for fresh halibut between sets. Awesome. Also learned how to fly fish up there. I tell you I didn't know what I was doing and I caught all kinds of fish in those lakes. Keep the pictures and stories coming.

Offline Buzz2401

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »

Different economy down here? There's a huge market for fresh wild fish here. Where do you think most of the catch from AK comes? Yes the nets need to come out of the water and everyone can play fair.

Yes we have a way different economy.  We have way more opportunity for someone to find a career outside fishing or working on the slope.  We need commercial fisherman to supply the world with fish, but the small amount that is harvested down here has a much bigger impact on our overall resource down here.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 05:52:06 PM »
Looking to keep this a politics-free thread as much as possible fellas, hoping we can keep this space reserved for the stories, pictures and vids of commercial fishing.

Thanks!
 :tup:
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 05:54:40 PM »
 :tup: :tup:

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 06:44:52 PM »
Looking to keep this a politics-free thread as much as possible fellas, hoping we can keep this space reserved for the stories, pictures and vids of commercial fishing.

Thanks!
 :tup:

I think we can manage to keep the thread from derailing or piracy threadjacking.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 07:29:15 PM »
So I don't have to keep it a secret anymore  :chuckle:
I like seeing the pics and hearing about it, I had friends back in high school who worked on the boats back in the late 80's.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 07:39:17 PM »
I like seeing the pics and hearing about it, I had friends back in high school who worked on the boats back in the late 80's.

Haha, the truth will set you free! Thanks for being a good sport tho Run.  :tup:  How's Chip?

I'm uploading a few pics now, hopefully you will see some pics and stories that sound really familiar.  Sounds like we have quite a few old seiner, Bristol Bay and troller hands on the board.  Hoping some more of these salts will recall good stories or dig out some of those old pics of fishing and share.
KABOOM Count - 1

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 08:42:59 PM »
I wish I could put my hands on a book I received as a gift years ago. It was a collection of stories by commercial fishermen in Alaska.
Fascinating stuff.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 09:16:05 PM »

Haha, the truth will set you free! Thanks for being a good sport tho Run.  :tup:  How's Chip?

I'm uploading a few pics now, hopefully you will see some pics and stories that sound really familiar.  Sounds like we have quite a few old seiner, Bristol Bay and troller hands on the board.  Hoping some more of these salts will recall good stories or dig out some of those old pics of fishing and share.
Chip is still alive and kickin.

Offline wsmnut

• Scout
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 09:18:03 PM »
Great stuff Skillet!
The Sitka Sound area is gorgeous.  My family have been in the fishing industry in Alaska since Dad started tendering in 1953.  3rd generation is still at it on a 1951 vintage wooden power scow.
I tendered on and off from SE to Bristol Bay and Kodiak.  I miss the trips north each Spring.  The ocean does start calling and I get a huge ache inside.
Heck, I even miss the craziness of Sitka Herring!
Love your pictures.  Keep them coming!
Wsmnut

Belief is so often the death of reason.
Moron Lube

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
Thanks for the great technique and wonderful kings, Skillet. You're man's man doing a job not many would do in a place that's full of hazard. Get home safely.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »
Granddads Troller in 1984 the Bluejacket
IAFF #3728

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal