collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Multiple tags Drawn  (Read 19741 times)

Offline Allen23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Multiple tags Drawn
« on: January 20, 2017, 01:14:02 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same "fortune" that I and some others in my area did this year....

I don't want to sound like I am complaining, and I do feel very lucky to have had the year that I did. I drew a multi season Elk tag ( had 4 points) also drew a antlerless tag ( 1 point ) and I drew a quality bull tag (10 points). Now one would look at that roster and say wow what luck you had this year, but after talking to a few people that were lucky as well and drew quality bull tags I also discovered that they in fact ALL had drawn the antlerless tags that they had put in for. Don't get me wrong I think it is great to have options but I don't know anyone who is going to pick an antlerless tag over a quality bull tag.

I might be over analyzing this but all I see here is 4 tags, that no matter which one you decided to hunt for, that would not be filled because they were given to people that already had tags.

My question I guess, is why isn't there a second draw in Washington like there is in so many other states? And is there anyone else who thinks this way? I think if you are lucky enough to draw multiple tags in a year and are only allowed to harvest one animal of that species shouldn't we have the choice to give our fellow hunters the opportunity to draw a special tag on a second draw?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:34:32 PM by bobcat »
In a world where it is so easy to attach your self to the negative side of things remember, What would Grandpa say?

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 01:18:37 PM »
you better start playing the lottery
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 01:25:27 PM »
I drew a few tags last year as well but couldn't hunt any of them as I ended up having back surgery instead, lost a lot of points but hey I can walk now !!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 01:35:11 PM »
Its happened to 2 people I know, both drew bull tags and cow tags the same year. Both killed bulls, left cow tags unfilled. I agree that there should be an option if multiple tags are drawn to relinquish one and have it go into a second drawing.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 01:38:38 PM »
This topic comes up frequently. For a variety of reasons (some good, some not so good) a second draw hasn't been implemented and most likely never will.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 02:30:53 PM »
Three years ago 4 of us drew big bull tags and cow tags. I killed a big bull while the others ate both tags. I know several others that have drawn both also. It's a crap shoot. I would rather draw two tags than none at all!
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline walleye1

• Hunter
Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 03:16:55 PM »
Thats what can happen when you divide up speices into different permit groups.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 03:21:47 PM »
I drew quality bull and cow two years ago. Killed a bull and didn't hunt the cow tag.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 03:43:05 PM »
I feel that we pay to play their game. If we draw a cow and bull permit we should be able to buy a second elk tag and harvest both animals. Tired of hearing about them letting us draw multiple tags but only letting us fill one of them.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 03:47:58 PM »
 The real trouble comes when you draw a cow and quality bull in the same season and the cow hunt is before the quality bull. That sucked for 2015 for me, passed up several cows only to screw my knee up keeping me out of the Watershed quality bull hunt later.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 04:34:19 PM »
I think it should stay same.  People get to choose if they want points or not.  If you divided it it would take even longer to draw any tag.  A Bull tag is something many people wait for for over 10 years.  Antlerless tags are just a bonus and are often drawn under 5 years.  2015 my wife drew both and was just pumped to be able to tag a branched antler bull.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 04:56:53 PM »
I think it should stay same.  People get to choose if they want points or not.  If you divided it it would take even longer to draw any tag.  A Bull tag is something many people wait for for over 10 years.  Antlerless tags are just a bonus and are often drawn under 5 years.  2015 my wife drew both and was just pumped to be able to tag a branched antler bull.

Some of us only put in for antlerless tags and hate seeing them wasted. I put in for cow tags and it pisses me off that WDFW lets them fall by the wayside. If you draw both in one season let a guy fill both tags, we've paid for it in our years of waiting and our hard earned dollar.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 04:58:39 PM by jackelope »
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »
This is exactly why I decide what to apply for actual hunts vs points for each year.  I won't apply for quality and antlerless hunts for the same species the same year.  If I want that quality tag I do the points option on antlerless and vice versa.  I might go ahead and put in for both actual hunts if my points tally is way low especially on quality.  But my quality deer is up to IIRC 7 or 8 for the 2017 applications (antlerless deer will be ~3) so I definitely will be choosy on what I apply for on deer.  For elk, I drew a cow tag for 2016, so I'll likely put in for that tag again even if I decide to go for it on a quality bull tag too as I know my odds on that cow tag are all but nil anyway, but if I get lucky then great.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 04:58:50 PM by jackelope »

Offline Jerome

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
Multiple tags Drawn
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
We should beable to forfeit the permit of our choice and keep our points in that category if we draw multiple permits for the same species.  My son drew a bull and a antlerless permit last year and obviously only hunted the bull permit.  It would have been nice to beable to decline the antlerless permit and keep the points.  It worked out and he took a stud bull that was worth losing the points in both categories but as we all know that doesnt always happen. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]