collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Back country scent control  (Read 3718 times)

Offline adamR

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Back country scent control
« on: January 21, 2017, 06:55:30 AM »
This upcoming season I am going on my first back country hunt in Idaho.  One thing I'm concerned with is weight vs scent.  I sweat ALOT.  If you guys are planning a long hike to a base camp do you just bring extra clothes or do you carry scent killer sprays?  I would love to only hike in with my kuiu attack pants and a wool shirt and hunt all week but I'm worried that by the second day I'm gonna smell like death. 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Back country scent control
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 07:15:58 AM »
Antiperspirant,  dress light - start out light and cold and add layers dont remove layers.  Firstlite merino wool baselayer - great scent control.  Take scent wipes with you for wipe down .   For a long heavy sweaty hike I would go with camp tee and shorts and save my hunt gear. 

Offline 3dvapor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 08:15:39 AM »
Jump in the creek.  It really doesn't matter to the elk how you smell.  Just keep the wind in your face.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 08:43:42 AM »
It might not matter to them how you smell but smelling less terrible can help in a wind swirl situation. Getting a bull to look instead of bolt might be the difference maker.

Half the elk that I have been busted on are from swirling winds and I've gotten away with it a few times when I didn't smell worse than the elk I was hunting  :chuckle:

Anyway, merino baselayers, a few baby wipes a day, powder in your boots. It's about the best you can do without packing in weight.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »
Merino, perfume free baby wipes mostly.  Longer trips Ill bring a tiny bit of camp soap and a little pack towel.  Focus on the wind.

Offline adamR

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »
I know when I'm hunting near camp i usually take a package of baby wipes but it just seems heavy for backpacking

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 02:59:35 PM »
If you have a camp shower set up and aren't afraid of getting dirty I've been told to rub dirt on your body the fresh earth will help cover human scent. I've used sprays and wipes as well can tell the difference, in the end though the wind is your best play just keep that in mind.
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline IBspoiled

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 03:13:37 PM »
Elk will wind you no matter what you do, aspecially after a few days. I tried wiping fresh bull pee all over me once and I did smell just like an elk, but the flies attacked me like crazy and it did not go over well with the wife when it was time to get into the tent :chuckle: Good luck on your hunt

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 06:11:17 AM »
I'm not sure what your after, but for elk I like to put a lil cow in heat gel on my boots or a tree if I'm set up to call in a bull. Wind direction, as said before, is the best scent control as elk can smell you no matter what you put on. How ever wind changes direction or swirls a lot and I've had a bull still come in, even though I know he smelled me, when I had that cow in heat out. Not going to work all the time, but its happened so I wear it and it won't add much weight to your pack. Far as clothing goes, Merino wool doesn't smell near as bad after several days compared to polyester. So I wear a merino base because I don't like to smell myself after a few days :chuckle: :twocents:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 07:10:47 AM »
Play the wind. 

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 07:43:35 AM »
Hunt Downwind. They bust you hunt downwind again. :chuckle:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
I wear all merino wool clothing including socks.  Bring monkey butt powder, dried baby wipes, and a couple table spooons of concentrated scent free soap.  I use baby wipes on days it is raining or super cold.  Then do the hobo bath with soap and a small back country towel on hot days in a near by creek. You can use the monkey
Butt powder for deodorant but I take a small amount with me.  I know I am being a little overkill but it can be a game changer when your a sweaty stinky mess.

Offline adamR

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 08:15:31 AM »
All good tips, when I'm elk hunting, on top of playing the wind, I will dump cow in heat all over me but I'll be mule deer hunting.  I've always used polyester base layers so I'll have to switch to merino.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 09:39:49 AM »
Yep, all good tips.  You can't control scent but getting clean will make you a lot more comfortable and keep you warmer in cold.  For multi-day backpack hunts in serious cold weather, I uncover and wash small portions of my anatomy while keeping the rest covered.  I fill a smallish pop-top water bottle with scrubbing hot water, squirt just enough on my hair to apply shampoo, then squirt just enough to rinse.  Ditto for using a micro-fiber wash cloth and towel on other body segments.  Have done that in zero cold with wind.  A small (4 oz.?) bottle of Amway LOC is one of several good soaps to use.  A liter of water is more than enough for a whole body and hair wash.

For one day hunts with a long/steep approach hike to the hunt zone, I wear minimal clothes on the approach.  I start hiking quite cold.  Then stop at the point where the real hunting begins, scrub with a few individually sealed Wet Ones and change clothes from skin out.  Seal the sweaty stuff in a plastic bag, or if you are SURE you will return via the same path, stash it to pick up on your way back to your vehicle. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]