collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scouting/Hunting Partner - KingCo - High Hunt  (Read 5808 times)

Offline SirSpencer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Scouting/Hunting Partner - KingCo - High Hunt
« on: January 21, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »
I'm taking 2017 to get more serious about my hunting as I finally have the time and financial means to do so. I'm really interested in doing the high hunt up in one of the wilderness areas. All my hunting partners are pushing 60+ and don't have interest in getting out and doing scouting for new areas especially in the high country.

Looking for someone who wants to get up into the wilderness areas of Washington and do some scouting starting this spring and hopefully come on the high hunt. I don't have my heart set on any particular wilderness area yet, but I'm spending a lot of time on google earth looking for potential spots in the different areas.

I'm 28 living in Kenmore work a standard "9-5 M-F" (hours/days are flexible if we wanted to do something mid week) in pretty good shape but it's been a few years since I've done some serious backpacking. I've been hunting modern firearm for deer and elk for 18 years with my dad and his friends. I'm thinking about making the switch to archery in the next few years, maybe sooner if I can find someone to show me the ropes.

If you're interested in the high hunt or looking for a scouting / hunting partner for your archery season reach out and lets get out into the woods.
I hunt for peace of mind.

Offline HankC

• Tracker
Re: Scouting/Hunting Partner - KingCo - High Hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »
If you still haven't found anyone by Spring, I'm down. I just moved up here from CA 3 years ago and started hunting then. Only hunted the 2015 season but had a tough time with blacktails on the west side. I, like you, want to get more serious about hunting this season and really put in the time.

I'll probably be hunting modern rifle during the high hunt, but that wouldn't matter if we're going out on scouting trips. I have a Bear tradbow too, which is what I tried hunting with my first season.

I'm usually free on Sundays. I don't have too much experience in the woods, but I'm in pretty good shape. I train/fight MMA so climbing altitude shouldn't be too bad. I was thinking about scouting around Alpine/Glacier Peak areas in Spring, and maybe Pasayten when the 20 opens?

Let me know.

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »
just remember the high hunt is open to archery, modern and muzzleloader.   You will need to pick your method for a tag but not for hunting during that season.  I hunted primarily with a rifle but did take a bow in two years.  Just makes stalking more important.

Offline scottcrb

• NRA, RMEF, Wa marketing director Montucky Cold Snack, MDF, BHA,
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Montucky Cold Snacks
  • Groups: nra, RMEF,MDF
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 01:58:21 PM »
Hey Spencer not sure I can fit in the high hunt this year but could be into some scouting trips. I shoot Archery at the Kenmore range 3 or 4 times a week after daylight savings if ya want any help.

Offline Yankee

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 06:58:40 PM »
Hey guys,

It looks like we're all in  the same neck of the woods.  I'm in Lake Forest Park, am a member at Kenmore and shoot there regularly.   I'm hunting archery elk in Idaho in September, but would be open to meet some other hunters and get in some scouting/training hikes.  I'm not opposed to using a rifle if need be.

David

Offline SirSpencer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 08:35:02 PM »
Great to hear back from some folks. I will check back in when it's closer to spring on getting some scouting trips in.

Yankee & Scottcrb we should meet up at kenmore range. I've been meaning to get a membership there just haven't done it yet.

Scottcrb - I've got an 10+ year old Hoyt that I want to update to something a bit more modern. Any suggestions on best ways to get a newer used bow?  Thanks

Offline scottcrb

• NRA, RMEF, Wa marketing director Montucky Cold Snack, MDF, BHA,
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Montucky Cold Snacks
  • Groups: nra, RMEF,MDF
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »
Hey Spencer I would look on the classifieds here on hunt Wa or maybe archerytalk.com there's a lot of good bows on both sites. Let me know when u wanna hit the range.

Offline Yankee

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
Spencer, take a trip over to NockPoint on Aurora/Lynnwood.  They are a Hoyt dealer, also have used bows for sale as I recall.

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 07:38:06 AM »
I'm further south but the high hunt is something I've been itching to do also. I do a lot of backpacking throughout the year. Most likely would go modern but I'm open to archery, I've got an older PSE that I shoot in the backyard. Close to the same age, 31, Monday to Friday job, but do have a 4 month old so my days in the field mean they are fewer, just means I have to take full advantage and go harder each day out. I stay in really good shape to allow myself 15-20 mile days in the backcountry albeit hiking trails.

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 08:35:23 PM »
If you are still looking, I will be up scouting most every weekend after the snow melts.  I usually have an open seat if anyone is interested.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 10:48:23 PM »
Come summer time if you're looking for a scouting partner, keep me posted.  I hunt the high buck hunt, as well as archery, muzzleloader, and regular rifle season.  Gotta love the multi-season tags.  Usually Alpine Lakes and William O Douglas, but also up north for deer in the Methow.  I'm mid-40s, but only hunt wilderness areas so keep in shape. 

Offline Kokanee

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 09:34:27 PM »
So I am relatively new to Washington, and asking probably DQ's me, but what is this High Hunt you speak of?   :o
Have been hunting Colorado elk archery for the past 7-8 years and am considering staying in state this year, but haven't quite figured this state out yet  :bash:... Hence the look for archery hunting partner/s. 
To say I am bewildered by the regs., GMU's, seasons etc. would be an understatement, but want to figure it out!

Offline SirSpencer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 07:39:10 AM »
If you look in the general seasons for modern and muzzle loader you will find a "high buck hunt" it's across several GMU's inside the wilderness zones described. This will be my first season doing it. I'm not sure what the rules for archery are on that hunt.

Offline Kokanee

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 03:21:22 PM »
If you look in the general seasons for modern and muzzle loader you will find a "high buck hunt" it's across several GMU's inside the wilderness zones described. This will be my first season doing it. I'm not sure what the rules for archery are on that hunt.

Ah, I see now.  I thought this might be a high elk hunt!  Will have to read up on it to see what all entails.

Offline SirSpencer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 06:13:21 PM »
Lost my hunting partner to a new born and wife. Anyone still interested in teaming up?

I've done some scouting but am more than happy to go with someone who already has a plan but needs a partner.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw