collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Gmu 460??  (Read 14245 times)

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Gmu 460??
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 05:19:58 AM »
bob cats or cougars?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 02:56:51 PM »
bob cats or cougars?
Lots of Cats keeping the deer numbers low in that GMU.

I've seen so many cats in 460 the last few years, it's crazy.

Did you do any  :bfg: when you seen them?

No shot opportunities, they all happened too quick or I was in the truck. 3 cougars and several bobcats in the last 6 or so years. One of the cougars I crossed paths with on a logging road in the pouring rain just before dark hiking back to my truck. 10 yards away  :yike: and it looked as surprised as I was.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 05:14:54 PM »
bob cats or cougars?

No shot opportunities, they all happened too quick or I was in the truck. 3 cougars and several bobcats in the last 6 or so years. One of the cougars I crossed paths with on a logging road in the pouring rain just before dark hiking back to my truck. 10 yards away  :yike: and it looked as surprised as I was.

Sounds like some predator hunts need to take place. In your hunting grounds.

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »
bob cats or cougars?

Definitely needs alot of predator control. It's just so thick. Calling could get a little squirly with the cats there, you know, if you're worried about that sort of thing. Ha.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 06:59:21 PM »
bob cats or cougars?

Definitely needs alot of predator control. It's just so thick. Calling could get a little squirly with the cats there, you know, if you're worried about that sort of thing. Ha.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thick brush= cats. Never worried bout them cats. Let them come in and meet
 Mr. short mag. Sounds like a predator hunt should be scheduled.   :tup:

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 05:45:36 AM »
I catch a lot of cats ( bobcats ) in the 460 and the he last 2 years I've had more longtail cats messing with my traps then ever before! When I'm checking traps I always carry my .270WSM for cougar with a tag in the pocket

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 06:05:31 AM »
Since you are in Issaquah I take it you are talking about the South end of 460 not the north end where its a lot less productive.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 11:58:43 AM »
Curious to know how the real cat #'s compare over here versus over on the east side.

About 3 years ago I had 5 different lions on 1 trail camera in SE WA over a roughly 2.5 month period of time. Granted 2 of those 5 were kittens.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 01:28:27 PM »
I'll offer my perspective on 460, or what I know of 460. I have hunted the Tree Farm, formerly Hancock, now Campbell, for the past 5 years. I've killed deer the last 4, consisting of 3 spikes and a 3x3. Due to work and family, this is my best option for spending time in the woods. Is it the most productive unit? Nope. Is it loaded with trophies? Not that I've seen. Is there a reasonable chance to shoot a deer every year? Absolutely! Yes there are predators. I've seen 2 bobcats and 3 cougars (cougars were all together) in 5 years. Obviously there are lots more. There is also a pretty decent bear population, although I've yet to connect with one. If you get the permit, you won't be alone in there, but honestly I've seen more road hunters in areas of 245 than in Hancock. They sell 1000 permits a year, and there are something like 90,000 acres. Do the math. Also, I'd venture a guess that 75% of the hunters don't get more than 50 feet from the truck on an average day. If getting into the back country and not seeing another soul is your goal, this ain't the place. But if you want a place that's close by, accessible, and has plenty of game on which to hone your skills, it's a great place to start. As for elk, that's another story. They are there, but I think the vast majority know the routine by now, and hang out in town come hunting season. 

Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 02:33:03 PM »
Curious to know how the real cat #'s compare over here versus over on the east side.

About 3 years ago I had 5 different lions on 1 trail camera in SE WA over a roughly 2.5 month period of time. Granted 2 of those 5 were kittens.

did you ever drive the area in a fresh snow? Snow tells on everyone and everything.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »

did you ever drive the area in a fresh snow? Snow tells on everyone and everything.

No I haven't. I know there's lots of bobcats running around. Just more curious if folks thought there were more lions over here than over there.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline STRINGSHOOTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 03:25:16 PM »
Have seen bobs, cougar solos and a threesome, and ran off a couple bear while scouting. Some cougar and bear with collars. They all outnumber the bucks of course. The elk all stay close to their Lodge down in town... :IBCOOL:

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »

No I haven't. I know there's lots of bobcats running around. Just more curious if folks thought there were more lions over here than over there.

I've never been on east side predator hunting. I've always stayed on the west. I would say there is probably equal amount of cougars on either side. Our side just holds more brush. So they don't get seen very often. I've cut numerous tracks in the snow. Not always the same cat either. ( tracks going in same direction) but once it crosses back over then it's hard to tell.  Find a fresh enough track and you can't keep this guy in the truck. But it gives a guy an idea on the area they range. Unless it's just a traveling Tom. Bobcats down here come in pockets. Some areas are you couldn't buy a cat. Then some you gotta switch them off the road with a stick. Either way they need to be thinned out and I try like heck to be able to punch that tag every year.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 07:25:38 PM »
The north side has a lot of cats both bobs and long tails but what's worse are the coyotes they are thick but my opinion is that there's more lions on the east side then the west that's my  :twocents: and I'm running my trap line from November to March every day 7 days a week . This year I've had 3 separate lions messing with cages ( different track size on all 3 ) as for bucks they are there and there are some nice ones ! You just gotta think steep and nasty

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 01:19:28 PM »
Yeah I had 7 bobcats on camera this year on the north end.  Quite a few tracks as well.  Tons of coyotes too.  Was a big downer walking around with this snow ... when you see more coyote tracks than deer tracks.  As far as deer.  As Jakeland said they are around ... and there are nice ones.  I have cameras all over and Ill get an ok one here and there all year.  During the rut I had so many bucks that would make you #$&@ ur pants you wonder why spikes and 2pts are ever being taken.  But they disappear pretty quick. They are around ... they are just blacktails being blacktails.  Dont expect many encounters.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]