collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Out of state hunting, possession limits.  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Colin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Out of state hunting, possession limits.
« on: January 25, 2017, 10:29:53 AM »
So if I go hunt out of state where their possession limit is greater than here in WA and I return to WA with those birds am I breaking the possession limit here in WA although they are birds legally harvested out of state?

Just curious... not like it's likely to get checked for possession limit on the drive home.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Duckgtr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Active Duty USMC
Re: Out of state hunting, possession limits.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 10:42:30 AM »
Id give wdfw a call. Back in when I lived in Ca a buddy did a week long trip at our duck club and notified fish and game in advance and the sent him tag for the birds to record where they were shot.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
I think once they are processed into meat the possesion limit no longer applies...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »
Simpler than I thought. Wdfw response:

"Thank you for contacting WDFW! After speaking with a few officers I found that the only thing you would need to do is have your valid Idaho licenses and proof that you stayed in Idaho where they were taken."

Didn't think they get back to me so quickly.

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 11:45:57 AM »
I think once they are processed into meat the possesion limit no longer applies...
I think this has come up before and I thought processed meant cooked. I.e. crab cleaned and cooked are not included in possession limit but cleaned and frozen for transport is in possession. Maybe someone that remembers can clarify.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 12:37:47 PM »
So if your bird are fleshed out Vacume packed, frozen etc you should be good.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 01:15:58 PM »
So if your bird are fleshed out Vacume packed, frozen etc you should be good.
Apparently per wdfw breasts could still be on the birds. No need to process as long as I have a legal Idaho license and verification that I stayed there.

As to possession limit not counting cleaned and packaged birds idk.

Offline sumpnz

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 01:45:12 PM »
For fishing, possession limits are counted as the number of fish in your possession until you reach your home, regardless of being cleaned or whole.  So if you are camping out, or staying in a motel, etc. you can only fish until you achieve your possession limit for that category of fish.  If you take them home and put them in your fridge, freezer, smoker, belly, etc then you can go right back to fishing.  In theory you can then have the daily limit times the number of days the season is open in your ownership if you take them home every day or couple of days.

Not sure if that is the same for waterfowl, but if they had any sense it would be the same.  But this is WDFW we're discussing.

Offline Duckgtr

• Scout
  • Active Duty USMC
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 01:48:06 PM »
Now the real question is what kind of birds are you targeting in Idaho?

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 04:21:37 PM »
Now the real question is what kind of birds are you targeting in Idaho?
Lol. Just research at this point. The pipe dream is to be able to make a yearly 1 week trip out of state.

Offline hdshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 04:47:01 PM »
Possession limits are left up to lots of interpretation.  A few things I know you don't have to have a license to posses game but records of who got the game.  Ways to get out of possession limits is to eat or give them away with the license records.  If transporting the birds must have a feathered wing attached at least or even more identification attached and records of dates if having other daily bag limits in your possession.

This subject is a revolving wheel between possession and transporting game, big difference.  Many interpret once in your freezer you don't posses them any more.  All I feel is you are not transporting them anymore and if you have kids or spouse on your hunting fishing trips make them take possession if they don't hunt or fish and you can do that at home to cover your butt if something comes up before they are consumed.     
Don't read my post if facts hurt your feeling.

Offline Fishnclifff

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 06:31:23 PM »
I think this has come up before and I thought processed meant cooked. I.e. crab cleaned and cooked are not included in possession limit but cleaned and frozen for transport is in possession. Maybe someone that remembers can clarify.

This only applies to fish.
The waterfowl rules say the possession limit applies between the place taken,ie the blind, and your car- temp. abode or home.
I have talked to the feds, QUOTE " it is their opinion that possession only ends when the waterfowl is consumed" end  quote. Even though there is nothing like that in writing.
You can gift it away, my wife loves getting a bouquet of ducks , or have them taxidermied, or give them away with proper documentation. NOTE-- there is no formal documentation established.
A group of hunters in S. Carolina were ticketed for being over the limit, because they had duck jerky in the blind.
This is still being debated across the nation. There hasn't been any formal solution yet.
It's not true that I am good for nothing---I can be used as a bad example!!

Online goldenhtr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 06:37:19 PM »
Possession limits are left up to lots of interpretation.  A few things I know you don't have to have a license to posses game but records of who got the game.  Ways to get out of possession limits is to eat or give them away with the license records.  If transporting the birds must have a feathered wing attached at least or even more identification attached and records of dates if having other daily bag limits in your possession.

This subject is a revolving wheel between possession and transporting game, big difference.  Many interpret once in your freezer you don't posses them any more.  All I feel is you are not transporting them anymore and if you have kids or spouse on your hunting fishing trips make them take possession if they don't hunt or fish and you can do that at home to cover your butt if something comes up before they are consumed.     

regs say the HEAD must be attached, maybe they can't tell what kind of bird it is by the wing as other states can.
Gen:27:3

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »

regs say the HEAD must be attached, maybe they can't tell what kind of bird it is by the wing as other states can.
Feds say I wing or head. I forget this as I don't clean birds normally till I get home.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw