collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Skunk trapping advice  (Read 7251 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Skunk trapping advice
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 04:29:01 PM »
I have trapped about 400 skunks.  Best bait in town if you just want to catch skunks and not the neighborhood cats etc.. is Vanilla Wafers.  Every once in a while you'll still catch a cat but they don't return after the first time.  Drowning works, BUT you have to lower the trap in slowly.  If you plop it in, there will be an oil slick and it will stink and so will you.  99% if you slowly lower the trap in they drown without any smell.  If you shoot them about 75%+ of the time when they die they will release their musk.  I have driven them around and as long as you are gentle you can put the trap in your vehicle and drive around, just don't take any corners too fast and have your cage roll around and don't get into a fender bender!  Reason you DON'T want to use a black trash bag is most of the bag will be in pieces, inside the trap when you come back.  Reason you don't want to cover the trap AFTER you catch them is about 75% of the time they will get nervous and spray as the blanket is put over the trap.  Cardboard or a heavier tarp taped around the trap is best, or even better is to use a solid side trap, such as the PVC pipe traps.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 04:32:43 PM »
Thank you that helps a bunch.  House cats are not an issue not even a tiny bit.  The only other things I might get are opossum, coon, squirrel, bobcat, cougar.  I live miles and miles from any other people.

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 05:30:14 PM »
Live trap and a .22 to the back of the head.

Umm the back of a skunks head aligns kinda directly with its but and where the stink comes from.
Boss has killed easily 100 skunks this way over the years. Never been sprayed.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:53:03 PM by huntandjeep »
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 06:50:56 PM »
the bait you have on hand will work great. I am pretty sure anything will work on a skunk!Some definitely better than others  but that stuff will work good.  I agree the plastic bag will be shredded. 

Offline Axle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »
Chicken eggs are great bait too. They love eggs!
And if you decide you really want to shoot one, aim for heart/lung. A head shot will just get a lot of flopping and spraying and OMG stink!  :bdid:
With a heart/lung shot, they spray much less.
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »
Leave them at PETA a  headquarters

Offline gramps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 07:46:57 PM »
Drown as Machias says.  I  have never shot one in a trap in the head that did not spray..  I use a plastic trap now that is built for drowning.  Good Luck
It never changes, but it is always different.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 11:00:08 AM »
One more question where to set the trap.  I know where they are going under one bldg. As for regularly used trails these things run around like they are drunk. I have never seen so many tracks everywhere.  They don't seem to have a regular path.
How about this trap ?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:54:43 PM by runamuk »

Offline 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »
When winter breaks try spreading moth balls where you don't want them

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 02:16:11 PM »
When winter breaks try spreading moth balls where you don't want them
If I am here then I will.

Offline Squidward

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 03:00:15 PM »
I recommend putting a board under the trap. they can and will dig like crazy. I had one pull about two inches of dirt, grass and roots up in the cage. it was at this point the cage was stuck to the ground. shot in the head of a skunk even without being in a trap just eating will still spray, say clear. Good Luck. Squid

Offline pnwmtnmn

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
  • Why do I have one wet foot?
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2017, 08:24:27 PM »
Live trap and a .22 to the back of the head.

Umm the back of a skunks head aligns kinda directly with its but and where the stink comes from.
Boss has killed easily 100 skunks this way over the years. Never been sprayed.  :dunno:
I can almost guarantee he shot them in the back of the neck, severing the spine and not in the back of the head.
Region 2 WSTA director
Grant county WSTA rep

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 08:56:10 PM »
Every skunk I ever shot sprayed no matter where. Water bath or injection pole with acetone has been my best luck.  Little fish for bait has worked very well for me but striped skunks is all I've delt with
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline stockingfoot

• Pilgrim
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2017, 12:05:10 AM »
OK, I have to admit to not trying this yet. A few skunks have hung around my place [Glenoma, Wa.] the last two years for a little while but moved on before I felt urged to take action.
My idea is to fill one of my metal stock tanks with water. Lay two 2x4s length wise on the tank. Place live trap on top. Move the 2x4s apart to side edges of trap, bait and place a cover over
trap. They will not spray if they don't see you. Place a ramp so skunk can reach trap. When tripped check from a distance at end to be sure it is not your cat. Have a previously
fastened cord or rope tied to one of the 2x4s near each end of trap. Pull cord and drop trap into water. Bubble Bubble. I don't see why this should not work. My tanks were being used as chick breeders, but now they are laying eggs, so I will try it if they return.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »
When you yank the boards out the trap is going to drop into the water.  Your going to end up with an oil slick and one stinky area.  When I drowned skunks in the past I would slowly lower the trap into the water.  If you drop it the will be startled and spray.  If your trap is covered, you can just walk right up and quietly pick your trap up and then take it over to your tank and take care of business.  Also, very unlikely the skunks will walk up the planks and into your traps.  Skunks rarely climb.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal