collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any Pudelpointer owners?  (Read 22021 times)

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
Re: Any Pudelpointer owners?
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2017, 12:31:12 PM »
That is where a duck search dog shines over a standard protocol blind. But field environments where you can see the dog then yes typical blind protocol will get you the bird much quicker. I hunt the tidal marsh in a layout boat out in front of HQ and I've dumped birds in floating cattail pads that are 100yd deep and I'm at the edge and send the dog from the edge. He didn't see them and the area of the fall is 50 yds into the patch of cattails. You can't handle a retriever in that stuff so it requires a dog to think and search on his own while he is in there.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2017, 12:34:32 PM »
Just to throw more into this conversation for the original OP of this thread, when searching for  PP's there is also two registries for this breed.  The group of breeders between Idaho and Oregon breed outstanding bird dogs there is no denying that.  They breed and register and test through NAVHDA.   There is also the Pudlepointer Club of North America that follow a more strict German testing and breeding program more like the Deutsch-Drahthaar.  Where the dog is also tested on on fur.  (Which is something to consider if you have a family cat.)
Also to breed according to the P.C. of N.A. your dog also has to pass a VJP & BIT test (Breed Improvement Test) before the age of 5 or you are not allowed to let that dog into the gene pool.
I personally have been fortunate to train and hunt PP's from both registries and you will not go wrong with either. As far as "my PP will out mark, retrieve or what ever else your Lab"  all I can say is I look forward to the day when we could somehow have a Hunt WA BRING IT ON DAY.  Because there are an amazing amount of outstanding dogs and breeds owned by some great people on here..
Richard that would be a fun day.  Timed marked retrieves, timed doubles and triples. Upland field. Tracking, duck search and all that.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline Shannon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2017, 12:36:45 PM »
I was never implying that my dog could do retrieving test better than a lab. I don't train for that level of retrieving with pointers. What I was saying is that they have the basic ability to do what labs do if trained accordingly equally as well. I like to see the independence in a pointer verses the control of retrievers. A perfect day for me is hunting all day and saying very few commands during that time. I don't get off on giving direction and hand signals all the way to a blind retrieve anymore. I prefer to give the command and let the dog do there thing. If they get off line I don't care. As long as they have the drive to stay out there until finding the bird or I call them back. Nothing short of that.
I will side with the camp that the average area I duck hunt in doesn't allow me to give hand signals beyond 50 yards or less simply because I can't see them or the bird. Maybe the next guy hunts in something different and a different approach is better. To each there own. I am very convinced that if you take a PP from day one and train them like a lab they would do equally as well as any lab would do. I don't know of anyone that does that though. There has been some pretty successful PP's in the retrieving realm but its usually as an after thought to traditional pointing training.

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2017, 12:45:33 PM »
I was never implying that my dog could do retrieving test better than a lab. I don't train for that level of retrieving with pointers. What I was saying is that they have the basic ability to do what labs do if trained accordingly equally as well. I like to see the independence in a pointer verses the control of retrievers. A perfect day for me is hunting all day and saying very few commands during that time. I don't get off on giving direction and hand signals all the way to a blind retrieve anymore. I prefer to give the command and let the dog do there thing. If they get off line I don't care. As long as they have the drive to stay out there until finding the bird or I call them back. Nothing short of that.
I will side with the camp that the average area I duck hunt in doesn't allow me to give hand signals beyond 50 yards or less simply because I can't see them or the bird. Maybe the next guy hunts in something different and a different approach is better. To each there own. I am very convinced that if you take a PP from day one and train them like a lab they would do equally as well as any lab would do. I don't know of anyone that does that though. There has been some pretty successful PP's in the retrieving realm but its usually as an after thought to traditional pointing training.
Well said. We know of a PP that was a navhda VC, HRCH, and a NASTRA champion all by the age of 4 yrs old....
"real dogs have beards"

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2017, 12:52:34 PM »
I mean that all depends on your standards in the retriever world. MH is gonna look down its nose at HRCH while HRCH is gonna look down at a MH and a FC/AFC is gonna look down on both. Anybody know if a PP has entered a UKC Grand?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »
No grand (yet)😉. I hope to one day with one of my PPs.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »
That'd be pretty sweet! Wished they have one on this side of the rockies.

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2017, 01:33:00 PM »
That'd be pretty sweet! Wished they have one on this side of the rockies.

Ya that would be nice... it's like our invitational they have on the other side of the country...
"real dogs have beards"

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2017, 11:10:57 PM »
I mean that all depends on your standards in the retriever world. MH is gonna look down its nose at HRCH while HRCH is gonna look down at a MH and a FC/AFC is gonna look down on both. Anybody know if a PP has entered a UKC Grand?

I don't think anyone is looking down on it Colin. They are all different. Each their own thing and I'm happy to see anyone doing stuff that involves them with working their dog. Chose what you like and do what you find fun. I look down on people who look down on what other folks chose to do. I'm happy when I see people having a good time doing what they enjoy and have fun with their dogs. That's cool.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2017, 06:33:41 AM »
Honestly I hunt fields 95% of the time. So I always see the falls and I usually send my dog on the long blind first. I only got my floaters wet twice this past season and both times there was not tall cover surrounding so I just don't encounter those situations.

Right on. If you're interested, feel free to invite yourself a long on an upland hunt this year too..it doesn't just have to be a training/test GTG.

Offline dbh411

• Pilgrim
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2017, 06:16:57 PM »
I see that this is a slightly old thread, but I'm interested in getting a pudelpointer as well. I had a wire-haired pointing griffon and he's been gone for a little over a year now. The family and I are ready for a new dog, plus one of my boys is getting into hunting. I've located a few breeders in Oregon, but are there any in Washington? My WPG was a pretty laid back guy, so would you all consider the PP to be some what laid back and not super high strung?

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »
Oh common Richard... You wouldn't even take on my old fat brood bitch xhesapeake on a timed upland bird finding bet  :)

Well, if that is the test, I would put up my Weim.  I would even give you great odds! 

I love these conversations, because it gets soon-to-be dog owners thinking about their purchase, rather than just going out and impulse buying a dog that will be in your life for 10-15 years.  That is a big commitment.  When you put it into that perspective, the initial cost of the dog is low compared to what you will spend on food, etc.  I always advise people to buy a dog that will fit into their living situation and ability to care for it, not for the type of hunting dog they may want.  Buy from a reputable breeder.  That extra dollar amount up front is typically worth it.  I wish people were able to be completely impartial when giving experience on dog breeds, but that rarely happens.  Everyone usually exaggerates the good qualities, and downplays the poor ones.  dbh411 and the OP - I would love to hear what you end up with.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Shannon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2017, 03:34:18 PM »
I'm a former lab guy myself and will probably never have another hunting dog besides a pudelpointer for a lot of the same reasons Fishmaker said. They are fun to watch hunt and a joy to be around. I like labs also but seeing a dog slam on point with style isn't there with a lab. Sorry if I offended any of you pointing lab guys:)
Fishmaker-you wouldn't be giving  one of your pups away to a retiring game warden would you? If so, I know him and look forward to seeing your pup.

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2017, 07:25:34 PM »
Fishmaker did you test your dog in NAVHDA?
"real dogs have beards"

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2017, 10:20:35 PM »
Was there a pointing lab comment on here? I mean, labs only point when they are scared of the birds. lol
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan