collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any Pudelpointer owners?  (Read 22022 times)

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Any Pudelpointer owners?
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2017, 10:34:24 PM »
Reality of the whole my breed, your breed thing is that a dog is only as good as the exposure and quality of training it has received. And the owners who feel their dog is the best in the world only know what they have seen and had for exposure to trained dogs. Pointer, retriever, pointing retriever, hairy or smooth....they're only as good as their genes and training allow.

And, as I teased Richard before in this thread about trying to get him and other pointer guys at a pointer field trial to battle it out with my old Chesapeake bitch in the pointer bird field, it was my front yard at the time which was also used as the pointer HT and trial bird field. My bitch got to clean up hundreds if not thousands of left over birds after every pointer HT and trial. No way, no how anyone walking on the property with a dog could find more than her. Not a chance in hell. It was her yard and she knew where the birds went. They don't forget.

That brings me to my comment to bring experience into the discussion. My old bitch couldn't be beat in her front yard by any pointer anywhere in the world. It was her front yard, she knew where to find the birds and how to find them fast. This is the same with any dog who is experienced wherever that experience might be. It could be that guide you paid in NoDak with a shorthair on grouse. The dog does it every day in the same places. Birds are found in the same places on the same property no matter if they are wild or pen raised.

The guys who go boasting they train on the same "wild" ground day in day out blah blah blah... when you go hunt in SoDak and Nodak(or the guys that train there) the wild birds get found in the same spots day in day out because like fishing, there are fishy spots, birdy spots ect. Birds have habits, birds are in certain places they like, dogs and humans alike learn to find those spots pretty quick. Dog learns how to work birds fast. That's the easiest part in the entire world of dog training. *censored*, if the dog likes a feather you can teach it to work a bird.

If you're pheasant hunting, do you hunt the disced corn or, hunt the plot of millet with a rim of wind break trees with tumbleweeds all piled up against it? Dogs with half an acorn of a brain figure that out.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2017, 01:09:33 PM »
What kennel are the parents from?
"real dogs have beards"

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2017, 01:11:38 PM »
Regarding Happy's months old comment. There are about five big name pointing breeds that are probably just that for a reason. They are genetically diverse breeds and they have been proven over and over and over and over.

Labs are a different but similar story. There is literally a flavor of lab for everyone and the breed is tried and true.

The lesser known versatiles have smaller genetic pools to pull from and they will almost always be more expensive than a well bred Pointer or shorthair.

Buy what you want (I have looked at pudelpointers as well and have watched them run, I liked what I saw) but go into it with your eyes wide open to the fact that the big names are big for a reason and the lesser known ones are more of a gamble. As their numbers grow that will change.

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2017, 09:04:08 AM »
That's interesting because after a week hunting in SD and ND when I returned the dog always ran to where the birds were
 She taught me a lot just watching her

As mentioned the secret is a lot of wild birds when they are young and good breeding and just finish up the dog

Reality of the whole my breed, your breed thing is that a dog is only as good as the exposure and quality of training it has received. And the owners who feel their dog is the best in the world only know what they have seen and had for exposure to trained dogs. Pointer, retriever, pointing retriever, hairy or smooth....they're only as good as their genes and training allow.

And, as I teased Richard before in this thread about trying to get him and other pointer guys at a pointer field trial to battle it out with my old Chesapeake bitch in the pointer bird field, it was my front yard at the time which was also used as the pointer HT and trial bird field. My bitch got to clean up hundreds if not thousands of left over birds after every pointer HT and trial. No way, no how anyone walking on the property with a dog could find more than her. Not a chance in hell. It was her yard and she knew where the birds went. They don't forget.

That brings me to my comment to bring experience into the discussion. My old bitch couldn't be beat in her front yard by any pointer anywhere in the world. It was her front yard, she knew where to find the birds and how to find them fast. This is the same with any dog who is experienced wherever that experience might be. It could be that guide you paid in NoDak with a shorthair on grouse. The dog does it every day in the same places. Birds are found in the same places on the same property no matter if they are wild or pen raised.

The guys who go boasting they train on the same "wild" ground day in day out blah blah blah... when you go hunt in SoDak and Nodak(or the guys that train there) the wild birds get found in the same spots day in day out because like fishing, there are fishy spots, birdy spots ect. Birds have habits, birds are in certain places they like, dogs and humans alike learn to find those spots pretty quick. Dog learns how to work birds fast. That's the easiest part in the entire world of dog training. *censored*, if the dog likes a feather you can teach it to work a bird.

If you're pheasant hunting, do you hunt the disced corn or, hunt the plot of millet with a rim of wind break trees with tumbleweeds all piled up against it? Dogs with half an acorn of a brain figure that out.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2017, 09:27:52 AM »
I agree with most/some of this, but it needs to be said that when hunting intelligent and pressured birds, they end up going to areas that aren't part of the "usual" places.  I want a dog that will cover all the ground that might hold birds.  Part of the joy of watching a good finished pointer, is that they understand the speed at which they need to hunt different types of terrain.  They range wide and fast in the cut wheat and to check out small clumps of grass.  They slow down and hunt closer in heavy cover.  They hit the downwind edges quickly and then move in when on scent.  That means I can take that dog anywhere in the world, and get birds. 

Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2017, 07:22:50 AM »
Hello all,

I lost my lab about a year and a half ago and I retired from work a few months ago.  I am ready to get another dog and look forward to training it myself, as I will have the time.  I have been looking at Pudelpointers and have done a fair amount of research.  I began looking at the breed because my wife is begging me to consider a dog that does not shed this time around.  I told her I would consider it, although we love the personality of labs.  From what I read, Pudelpointers can be just as goofy and lovable as the Labrador Retriever.  I live in the Idaho Panhandle.  We can experience very cold temperatures in the later part of the waterfowl season.  At this time I do not upland hunt, but I have the opportunity to do it and with more post-retirement free time, may do it. 

I understand that one of the foremost Pudelpointer breeders is down in the Boise area.

Can you confirm that Pudelpointer is a non-shedding breed or a lighter shedding breed than the lab?  Of course my selection of breed on the next dog will be based on much more than this parameter, but this one would make the wife happy, so there's that too.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »
My wife sheds more than my dog and she complains about the same thing sometimes. Every Pudelpointer I've had the pleasure to be around is pretty cool a true versatile breed, just get a good vacuum and hope for the best. :tung:
Lead em if they're running.

Offline Tundra

• Tracker
  • Groups: Lifetime Member NRA& B&C, SCI, DU, WWA, MDF, NAVHDA, 2AF
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2017, 08:46:34 PM »
We have an 8 month old Pudelpointer we got from Tall Timber out of Oregon.  He was great until he hit 7 months and then he got fired up.  We are hoping neutering calms him a bit.  He is 8 months now.  We also need to be more consistent with out training..... 

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2017, 09:20:45 PM »
We also need to be more consistent with out training.....

If you were more consistent, that would put you at odds with most Tall Timber PP owners.

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2017, 06:01:22 PM »
Hayden:
PPs will drop hair but not anywhere near what a lab does. The thing with PPs is that they have hair and not fur so they don't produce the allergens that other dogs do.
As for waterfowl hunting, PPs are excellent waterfowl dogs. They are very hearty in the cold weather, I hunt mine when he is breaking ice on retrieves and he sits like a statue watching for birds. Bob farris with Cedarwoods is a top notch breeder. I know Bob well and he knows how to pair the right breeding with the right person.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2017, 06:36:18 AM »
Hayden:
PPs will drop hair but not anywhere near what a lab does. The thing with PPs is that they have hair and not fur so they don't produce the allergens that other dogs do.
As for waterfowl hunting, PPs are excellent waterfowl dogs. They are very hearty in the cold weather, I hunt mine when he is breaking ice on retrieves and he sits like a statue watching for birds. Bob farris with Cedarwoods is a top notch breeder. I know Bob well and he knows how to pair the right breeding with the right person.
Thank you for your reply and the info about the shedding.  I have heard of Bob Farris and would be leaning that way if I went the PP route. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]