collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Collared elk  (Read 7530 times)

Offline jtrammell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: Collared elk
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 09:52:51 PM »
Weird, I talked a biologist a few months back and she said that the ONLY collared elk in the area were done by the Muckleshoot tribe.

Offline Thefishguy77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 03:05:24 PM »
Weird, I talked a biologist a few months back and she said that the ONLY collared elk in the area were done by the Muckleshoot tribe.
That would be a bit of a track from the muckleshoot Rez.  But not unheard of for elk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ElaphusElatus

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »
The Puyallup Tribe has been tracking collared elk in the Packwood area since the early 2000's. Google puyallup tribe collared elk and a lot pops up, for example

https://nwifc.org/puyallup-tribe-protects-elk-winter-habitat/
https://tracs.fws.gov/public/report/216000000/
http://puyalluptribalnews.net/news/article/tribe-partners-with-forest-service-for-elk-management-habitat-improvem1

Offline Thefishguy77

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 07:44:24 PM »
Good to know. I just checked a game cam I forgot I had up and got pictures of her. Will get some posted up hopefully by the end of the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline huntbow

• Tracker
    • hunter bouma
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 08:35:36 PM »
During Muzzle season in the Bumping about 10 years ago I found a dead cow that had a collar and ear tags. She was HUGH!!!!

I recorded the collar and ear tag numbers, the GPS coordinates and after the Black powder season ended I called the F&G folks. I eventually spoke with a Biologist who was very nice and friendly. He told me that particular cow was involved in a Re-productivity study. She was caught each year at Oak Creek feeding station and her uterus was ultra sounded. She was 17 years old and had never calved as her uterus was mis-shapened.

Crazy!!

Lee

Very interesting.  Didn't realize an elk could live that long.  Who knows, maybe it was a bull they were doing an ultrasound on but his antlers were so regressed they thought it was a cow. :chuckle:

Offline lee

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 05:43:50 AM »
During Muzzle season in the Bumping about 10 years ago I found a dead cow that had a collar and ear tags. She was HUGH!!!!

I recorded the collar and ear tag numbers, the GPS coordinates and after the Black powder season ended I called the F&G folks. I eventually spoke with a Biologist who was very nice and friendly. He told me that particular cow was involved in a Re-productivity study. She was caught each year at Oak Creek feeding station and her uterus was ultra sounded. She was 17 years old and had never calved as her uterus was mis-shapened.

Crazy!!

Lee

Very interesting.  Didn't realize an elk could live that long.  Who knows, maybe it was a bull they were doing an ultrasound on but his antlers were so regressed they thought it was a cow. :chuckle:

:tup:  :tup:  :tup:

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 08:47:46 AM »
I shot a collared bull elk back in Sept. 1984. Shot during the archery season  above Rimrock Lake ( Minnie Meadows). I turned in the collar to the WDFW and found out the bull was collared above White Swan on the Yakima Indian rez. in March the year before.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 12:39:35 PM »
Elk were collared in the St. Helens herd between 2011 and 2014. They're tracking hoof disease-related movements and mortality.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]