collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming elk draw results  (Read 33238 times)

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
Re: Wyoming elk draw results
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
be glad you didn't draw!  Winter kill has been disastrous to say the least!  this year and probably next will be good years to buy points as the herds try to recover from a record setting winter in most of Wyoming.  Eastman's say that anyone with over 5 points is wasting their tag this year with so many animals dead.

I hear the winter has been pretty normal outside of western wy.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2017, 07:21:57 PM »
be glad you didn't draw!  Winter kill has been disastrous to say the least!  this year and probably next will be good years to buy points as the herds try to recover from a record setting winter in most of Wyoming.  Eastman's say that anyone with over 5 points is wasting their tag this year with so many animals dead.

Glass half full for me then.  With this winter in mind I dodged a bullet. 
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2017, 08:12:31 PM »
Depends what part of Wyoming you're talking about. Some areas aren't that bad, and overall, elk are not as affected by bad winters as deer are. I'd be more concerned if I was planning a deer hunt in Wyoming than an elk hunt.

Offline lhrbull

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: wafsf mdf sci
« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2017, 04:43:38 AM »
Bobcat so what other species are you planning on drawing

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2017, 05:13:07 AM »
The deer in Wyoming have been in a longer down side than the elk. But even then the state doesn't do as much pre application surveys than they should due to cost. That's one of the big issues I have with this state. There was a time when aerial surveys were done and permit numbers were determined by this. Now for the most part permit numbers are locked in and given out like candy regardless of animal mortality.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2017, 06:00:00 PM »
This is like the wait for Christmas all over again!!!!!
yes it is, isn't it bad a zz knowing elk results in February!!  Unlike late may or June!
This will probably be the last year that you will find out this early in WY.
Really, why??
WY passed a bill that tag numbers can't be determined until after herd counts have been done.  Herd counts don't happen until May.  I thought that this year would be the first year of the elk draw happening in May but it will start next year.

I called and talked to someone with Wyoming Fish and Game today and they said that they were not aware of this legislation or any changes to the out of state elk draw for next year.  Indicated that there has been nothing in any newsletters or communications to them and this was the first they had heard of it.  I'm hoping that is the case and it won't change.
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal