collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Snowshoes  (Read 4560 times)

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Snowshoes
« on: February 12, 2017, 03:28:43 PM »
What kind and size does everyone use? I have a set from Costco that seem to work fine but I'm about 20 lbs over their weight limit. I'm looking at possibly buying a new set hopefully from cabelas.any input is appreciated.
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Snowshoes
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »
I have a pair of the MSR Denali's and I use the extensions all the time. I'm 6'4" and 225#. They work fine.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline biggfish

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 04:13:13 PM »
I've used msr with with the tails I'm 400 lbs and I didn't sink in at all. With the tails I was still 100 over capacity add they worked great.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 04:30:08 PM »
It partly depends on what kind of snow conditions you want to use them in, and what kind of terrain.  If you're doing more trail/hardback, then weight ratings aren't nearly as important.  If you're doing off trail stuff and could be in deep snow without a substantial base, then weight rating becomes very important.  Also, steep terrain will be tougher if you're significantly over your weight rating.

I have MSR's and use the tails on them.  I'm 210 pounds without a pack, so usually 225 or more real weight.  They do pretty well in deep/soft snow.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 05:21:26 PM »
I have a 22" pair of tubbs, and a 30" and 36" pair of atlas. I haven't demod msr shoes yet.

These 10x30's are my go to since I bought them last spring. I've put around 250 miles on them and they've held up so far. I really like putting the bar up going up hills as it helps tremendously. I've used these on groomed trails such as snowmobile trails, in the spring time up on trails, and in powder. The only downside for me is really deep powder. That's where I like the 36" shoes.

For the crust in the hills right now and in the spring when the snow is solid, I like 22" shoes as I move faster and can get in and out of the trees more efficiently.

I'd say look at msr's with the adjustable tails of you are only looking to buy 1 pair. I know a few people who have them and really like them, especially when heading out into the wilderness to do surveys.

Offline farmin4u_98948

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 06:29:28 PM »
I use the 30 inch Tubbs Mountaineers.  Have used them lots and they are still in good shape. Not cheap but you often get what you pay for
Just because you believe something is true doesn't mean that it is true!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:31:01 PM »
2nd MSR's I have the lightning ascent, great snowshoes and I use them a lot.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 07:38:28 PM »
MSR's all the way

I got a whole pile of snowshoes of the same type/style as tubbs, they're no good for climbing over logs or sidehilling. Got tired of my shoe's skiing on me,  MSR's stay put.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 08:27:43 PM »
MSR various styles are what we used at work, and had for rentals.  My coworkers who were into snowshoeing also both had MSR Denali I believe.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 09:30:06 PM »
At our field camp we used Atlas, Tubbs, Cabelas, and Redfeather for years before we switched over to MSR and never looked back!  The General shoe was the standard Denali and Denali Ascent. I opted for the Evo Ascent for my personal shoes. Bought the long tails but rarely ever used them even though I am ~100lbs over recommended weight even before I put on a pack. MSR has the most versatile binding and best duild that I found. We never broke a pair even though we used then 3-5 months a year with some crushing loads.

Offline TommyH

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 12:50:55 AM »
I'm pretty happy with the pair of atlas I have. Identical to naches sportsmans. The flip up bar is great when climbing hills.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 01:24:55 AM »
At our field camp we used Atlas, Tubbs, Cabelas, and Redfeather for years before we switched over to MSR and never looked back!  The General shoe was the standard Denali and Denali Ascent. I opted for the Evo Ascent for my personal shoes. Bought the long tails but rarely ever used them even though I am ~100lbs over recommended weight even before I put on a pack. MSR has the most versatile binding and best duild that I found. We never broke a pair even though we used then 3-5 months a year with some crushing loads.

I was looking at the Lightning ascent, do you have any opinions on them? I've never snow shoed this will be my first pair I can't decide which ones but I know I want MSR

Offline wamuledeer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 10:01:38 AM »
Another recommendation for the MSR's plus tails. Work great.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »

I was looking at the Lightning ascent, do you have any opinions on them? I've never snow shoed this will be my first pair I can't decide which ones but I know I want MSR

We had one guy run them for a couple years with no problems whatsoever. I was a bit skeptical at first because of how they flexed and twisted when we first handled them. After two seasons they were still doing great though. They were narrower and longer than the Denalis, seemed to float great, and really dug in well on heavily crusted snow.

Offline 4T

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 08:14:28 PM »
I got a pair of the lightning ascent this year after using a cheap pair last year. Flotation isn't much different,  but the difference in traction  when ascending and decending is not even close.  The televators are very handy to have when going up steep hills.  It's just like walking up stairs.   My others I was constantly slipping. Also I was kinda leary of the straps for your feet, but it is a solid fit. Once you buckle in your boot will not flop around at all and there is no way that they can loosen.  Trekking poles are also a must.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]