collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Forbes Outfitters Antelope Hunt - WY  (Read 4130 times)

Offline djnoodle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Eat What You Kill!
Forbes Outfitters Antelope Hunt - WY
« on: February 12, 2017, 08:23:48 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this outfitter? Forbes in Kaycee, WY?

My dad and I are thinking of booking an archery antelope hunt with them this year. Basically, they are the top candidate right now because they claim a 90-100% shot opportunity and they provide all transportation including to/from the airport, which cuts the overall cost by quite a bit.

Unfortunately the only info I have found on them online is a 7 year old article on them assisting another outfitter in taking a mountain lion (miniature cougar to us Washingtonians) with an illegal caliber handgun. Not exactly a positive review.

Does anyone know them or their reputation? Or do you have another outfitter for archery antelope to recommend?

Offline 3dvapor

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Forbes Outfitters Antelope Hunt - WY
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:30:26 PM »
Try bowsite, they have a outfitter review where people leave ratings and reviews

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 08:35:29 PM »
Got their letter, sounded good but thinking I can get an antelope on public land and save the $2500 fee ?? 

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »
If the only review you can find on them in the last seven years pertains to illegal activity, I'm curious to know why you chose them as your outfitter.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline djnoodle

• Hunter
  • Eat What You Kill!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 10:16:39 PM »
I have not chosen them as my outfitter yet. I cannot find any good reviews on them or any recommendations at all. I am asking if anyone here had any personal experience with them. Right now, I am looking at a few outfitters, they are just one of them. Without some sort of positive review by someone other than the list of references that they provide, I won't be booking with them.

Anyone know of another WY outfitter that you can recommend?

Offline rbros

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 05:04:33 AM »
Went on a rifle antelope hunt with them 2 years ago.  We cut the trip short after the second day and asked for our money back.  Sandy guided us the first day and was great, then passed us off to another guide the second day.  He just wanted to drive around, chase antelope with the truck and tell us "that's about as big as they get" on every buck we saw.   I know their archery hunts they just stick you in a blind all day by yourself.  Lots of antelope on their leases but I think a guy could do a diy hunt and have the same results.
R Bros Rifles
www.rbrosrifles.com

Offline djnoodle

• Hunter
  • Eat What You Kill!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »
Thanks for all of the helpful advice.

We ended up booking through Table Mountain Outfitters. I have now read several recommendations for them, and have read quite a few good reviews from bowsite.com and other forums. Lots of groups of 5 and 6 hunters all tagging out in two-three days, good meals, good accommodations, etc. The only negative I have read on them at all is that the owners (not the guides) were a bit too busy with their TV show to give much attention to the hunters, and you only get their film crew's attention if you shoot a Matthews bow. I'm not wanting to be on their show, I just want to shoot a speed goat with my bow, and I would DIY, but I don't have the time to scout my own watering hole out on public ground. This gives dad and I a four day hunt with a reputable company, on pre-scouted watering holes with blinds already set up.

I will post a new thread with the results when I return from the hunt.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »
What I know is dated, but Table Mountain have been around for a long time and last I knew were considered reliable.  Frank Moore at the Spearhead Ranch in northern Converse County caters to archers and provides a very good service.  Cole Creek Outfitters had a really great setup for archers when Kelly Glause was running the show.  Same owner as back then, Jon Nicolaysen, so pretty good odds it's still pretty good.  The Wakkuris were a very solid family-run business - I see they have two different businesses now.  Jeff and Deb Smith at 7J Outfitters ran a first class outfit.  Sy Gilliland, S&S Outfitters had the biggest business in Wyoming with vast leases and happy hunters. 

All of these folks were in business for at least 15 years and had happy hunters generally, and are currently licensed outfitters with WYOGA.  When I left Casper in 2001, I would have been confident with any of them. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline lhrbull

• Scout
  • Groups: wafsf mdf sci
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 10:09:11 PM »
big horn outfitters in buffalo did me a great job on rifle hunt I believe they also do archery and have some great leases

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal