collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wolves' Effect On Other Wildlife (Study)  (Read 17708 times)

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Wolves' Effect On Other Wildlife (Study)
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 09:29:14 AM »
Quite a blend of financing.  What is the source of the $400,000 from 2015 budgets?  Does the NSF money have performance requirements?  It seems unlikely this is even close to enough money for the plan as outlined.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 09:36:54 AM »
I may not have a great scientific mind but I know numbers and know we were sold a rotten bill of goods by the USFWS and the WDFW. And, that's without even discussing echinococcus granulosus. Maybe your great scientific mind can enlighten us on the benefits of bringing in that disease.

Bringing in what? We've always had tapeworms here. They are spread by canines such as dogs and coyotes. That argument is such a red herring.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Practical Approach

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 10:09:07 AM »
How could an effective study of wolves' effect on other wildlife not include predation of infant and immature ungulates?

Word on the street is that it was too expensive to try to catch and collar the young ones.  But your right it won't be very effective if it is indeed true. 

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 10:20:53 AM »
How could an effective study of wolves' effect on other wildlife not include predation of infant and immature ungulates?

That's a pretty tough piece of information to capture.  Collaring infants is never going to work, they are collaring subadults if they are big enough to hold the collar.  Vaginal implants could potentially work, but getting eyes on a WT deer with fawn in this area is damn near impossible. 

I get what you're saying, but it's very hard to do in big country.  Collared elk can be surveyed for calf survival during the winter.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2017, 10:57:41 AM »

That's a pretty tough piece of information to capture.  Collaring infants is never going to work, they are collaring subadults if they are big enough to hold the collar.  Vaginal implants could potentially work, but getting eyes on a WT deer with fawn in this area is damn near impossible. 

I get what you're saying, but it's very hard to do in big country.  Collared elk can be surveyed for calf survival during the winter.
I agree it is more difficult and costly, but I think it is important.  You can collar infants using collars for infants that expand as they grow.  You could use vaginal implants on all of the mature females you caught, but you would have to spend additional money to go back in in a timely manner and find the fawns and calves to get the collar on them before they are too big to get away.  If you can get to them fairly soon after the implant is expelled the fawn/calf will not be far from the implant or the collared mother. 
I am not discounting the added layer of difficulty and expense, but on a project of this magnitude and the questions you are trying to answer, it seems pretty important. 

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2017, 11:01:50 AM »
They can't find volunteer groups to help out?  Every few years it seems like a few groups on the westside have big groups to go do fawn counts in June.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2017, 11:10:49 AM »
Wolves tend to have a different hunting style than the other predators mentioned.  Occasionally yotes can run deer/elk, but usually they are just sniffing around for the bedded fawn like black bears.  Deer probably aren't used to being chased long distances on a regular basis.

In a lot of areas a person can run down a deer this time of year, wouldn't take much for a wolf.  They're on super low reserves right now and gas out quickly.

Offline garrett89

• Scout
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2017, 11:12:20 AM »
I think they need to produce 50 wolf tags per year for a drawing. $25 for a chance to get drawn. It will manage out because there's 19 packs that have breeding pairs. 4-6 pups per pack will be born per season = 76-114 average or more per year.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2017, 11:18:56 AM »
This is just another joke study with $$$$ in the pockets of WDF&Wolves etc..

Study after study has already been done in other states where wolves were dump, and the outcome has always been the same, it's wolves stupid!

My guess is WDFW have already predetermined what the study will say and I would imagine it will favor either more habitat is needed or poor habitat.

Remember when WDFW claimed they would have enough bps to delist in 6 years? And yet we know that wolf populations double in size each year.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2017, 11:23:11 AM »
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/1676-S.pdf

If this is the link to the bill for the study, then I am not sure why WDFW is so heavily involved?  Does anyone know if this is the legislation linked to the predator prey study? 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2017, 11:24:34 AM »

I'd be fine with checking the wolves' stomach contents.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline garrett89

• Scout
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2017, 11:26:11 AM »
This is just another joke study with $$$$ in the pockets of WDF&Wolves etc..

Study after study has already been done in other states where wolves were dump, and the outcome has always been the same, it's wolves stupid!

My guess is WDFW have already predetermined what the study will say and I would imagine it will favor either more habitat is needed or poor habitat.

Remember when WDFW claimed they would have enough bps to delist in 6 years? And yet we know that wolf populations double in size each year.

Probably got paid off by a bunch of hippies to start the project in the first place.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2017, 02:20:38 PM »
What a waste of damn money, look at wyomings moose population, looks at idaho for god's sake.  Can't they pull some valuable info from the states that have already suffered from the wolf populations, how tough and expensive would that be????

:yeah:I would say the "study" has already been done in wy,mt,and Id. Total waste of money 

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2017, 02:27:16 PM »
Looks like 1.9 million dollars is what they have to spend. I wonder, is it really worth it? Wouldn't it be better to spend that money on wildlife habitat restoration?
$150k of WDFW funds to leverage $1.85M is a pretty efficient use.  That $1.85M isn't available for other purposes.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2017, 02:29:33 PM »
Except that they use 400k worth of Pitman Robert's funds that could go to improving something we can hunt
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw